Author Topic: Who should become our next captain?  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Who should become our next captain?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »
If Johnson can go around another year then I'd continue with him.

You can't or rather shouldn't take the captaincy away from one old timer and give it to another old timer there's no logic in it and in fact will become a slap in the face to Johnson if that scenario unfolds. So if Johnson hands down the captaincy then it is going to go to a young/er player.

Who are the probable chances: Chris Newman, Nathan foley, Brett Delidio and Shane Tuck.

Chris Newman: Has age on his side. he's an average to better than average footballer, is over rated in my opinion and would have good trade value. Can he lead, possibly, could be the making of him. I wouldn't pick him as captain but given the intellect of those in charge I think he is probably the front runner.

Nathan Foley: We depend alot on this player, he's a better player than Newman and can do things on the field that you would expect a captain to do. He is in the unfortunate position of being a further developed midfielder than his younger partners. I believe the biggest stumbling block that Foley has to becomming the captain is not himself or the percieved inability to shake a tag but the coaches box. I believe the coaches box will be so god damn scared of overloading there already pressured best midfielder with the burdon of captaincy. Could be a good choice, will lead from the front and given good coaching his fellow midfielders should catch up releasing some of the pressure.

Brett Delidio: Comming along nicely but if the article I read in the age by Caroline Wilson is any indication then this boy isn't ready to be the Captain of our club just yet, he's still two years away. Leave him alone and let him develop more. As a side note, If Richmond believe that they have to offer Brett the captaincy just to keep him at Richmond then they are better off letting him go, you can't buy passion.

Shane Tuck: Interesting proposition, only because he is a consistently good player, but wont cut it as captain.

What should happen:

Leave Kane Johnson as captain and give everybody another year of development, it isn't going to hurt anybody and isn't going to make any massive difference to our performance next year. Kane doesn't have to play every game and foley, newman and co can share the responsibilities around on those occassions.

The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
I was all for leaving Johnson to be captain this year, I figured with another 12 months we'd know if any of our other players were ready to stand up.
Newman got the VC this year and while he started the year well, he hasn't had a standout season
Foley has struggled with the extra attention this year, but people are over reacting a little about him not being able to handle a tag, he's been just as good as before, but he hasn't stepped up the same amount as he did last year. Nothing wrong with that.
Tuck would be an ok selection for his onfield performances, but I spent a bit of time with him a year or two ago and he's a bit of a strange character, I don't think he'd be captain material. Having said that so is Kirk and he's a great captain.

Personally I think Brett Deledio is the standout, in an ideal world he may not be 100% ready, but with Johnson staying on next year he would still be one of the main leaders at the club and would be able to help Deledio with the transition. Not sure if Wayne was ready when he was made captain of North Melbourne as a 22 year old either, but he was developed with the role.

I see Tuck or Newman as the choices if we intend to hand the captaincy over to Cotchin as both will hold the role for around 4 years. If we pick Deledio then it's a selection for the next decade.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »
I think Lids has put his hand up to be the next captain as he's gone to another level this year which lives up to the expectations everyone had of him as a #1 pick. My only concern about Lids was shown up in the Hawthorn game when he took exception to Hodge's swinging elbow and, in the wrestle that followed, Hodge's more mature and stronger body put Lids on his back. Wouldn't be a good look from a captain lol. Lids still needs another year or two to develop to his full potential in terms of both his footy and body strength.

I've got a feeling if Sugar steps down this year that Newy will be given the captaincy until a Lids or Cotch is ready to takeover.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »
Caro said Newy would be her choice of captain next year. Deserves it. Between him and Foley and Newy is ahead of Foley. She wouldn't give it to Richo for one year as he's not the captain type. The Club reckons Cotchin will be a ready-made captain in 3-4 years.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
some of you on here make me laugh, suggesting we should keep sugar as captain.

there are other standout players who are streets ahead of this fool and lids is one of them.

if not lids then Newy. Johnson is another vanderberg, get rid of him
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

bushranger

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 09:54:56 AM »
Give it to Richo for the next 2 years then Lids for the next 10 years
I to think now, that this would really work in our favour. Giving Lids a few more years to mature or even Newman in that mix.