Author Topic: Who should become our next captain?  (Read 3363 times)

bushranger

Re: Who should become our next captain?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »
It's time we went for a captain who will lead a generational shift in thinking and more importnatly doing and yes Lids is the man. This must happen much like a Carey or a Voss.  

I agree but I still think that Newman has to be considered to. But Lids if far more flashy and is inspirering to watch.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »
Deledio, he has emerged as an elite player this year, really the only one we have
He's put his body on the line and played hurt, dominated hurt too, he should get the 17

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
 We are certainly not spoiled for choice, but I would say Lids, I just hope the extra responsibility doesnt detract from his game......so I looked down our list for someone who was inspiring and maybe not so good, but couldnt find anyone, maybe Simmo could come out of his shell and rev em up?

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »
I have no doubt that an injury free Cogs would have been skipper at least 2 or 3 seasons ago, alas ....

I think the big fella should concentrate on getting onto to the park next year cos a 34y-o is not your future so whilst the 12 month Richo reign may appeal to sentimentality, I'd suggest that a statement about the future direction of the club for the next 6 to 8 years would be more beneficial for the medium term.

That's why I'd go for Lids as skipper with Foley VC & Newmo as DVC in 09.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »
l'm back resting up but not here for long  ;D
Bowden make a great captain till his retirement  :thumbsup

Come on TM I know what you think of Bowden but seriously lets put the club first.  :lol
If you had your way he'd be running for the US Presidency in 3 months also. :lol
I love Richo but the future of the club is leaning elsewhere and we can't give it too him now either :thumbsup

Deledio would be my first choice but if he is not upto it and club and player feel time needs to pass before he is bestowed with that honour of leading the club then Chris Newman who has been in the leadership group through a very lean era under Spud and Wallace so far would need to be the selected as captain.

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 09:41:19 PM »
Give it to Richo for the next 2 years then Lids for the next 10 years

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »
Richo until he decides to retire. Then probably Lids.

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »
Yeah your right CUB. Hope he never retires :D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 10:13:49 PM »
Yeah your right CUB. Hope he never retires :D

Not funny hope it never happens. :thumbsup

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 08:06:07 AM »
From the Caro interview with Lids

"On his prospects in the Jack Dyer Medal, Deledio is emphatic. "I hope Rick (Matthew Richardson) wins it. He deserves it. He's had a stellar year. I reckon he's got another five seasons left in him.""

Lets hope so

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
Richo should have been given the role ahead of Sugar, that much is obvious

How is it obvious?

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Newman, Foley in line to fill some big boots (Age)
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 03:26:23 AM »
Newman, Foley in line to fill some big boots
Lyall Johnson | August 24, 2008

WHEN Kane Johnson came to Richmond from Adelaide in 2003 as a dual premiership player, his new coaches and teammates were awed by his dedication to training and fitness.

He was, it was said around the club, at another level and clearly that intensity contributed to him getting the nod to take over the captain's reins from Wayne Campbell in 2005 in Campbell's last season.

"Media speculation", as coach Terry Wallace described it yesterday, last week had Johnson contemplating a similar succession, passing the baton to a player who would be at the club longer than he and playing out his final seasons without the encumbrance of the skipper's role.

It is a role that has sat well with Johnson on the field. His natural leadership skills and ability not just to communicate to others his thoughts but lead by example make him much admired around Punt Road.

The counterpoint, however, was that the off-field duties as the face of the club have often been a chore for an unassuming bloke who does not crave the spotlight.

There will be, it's certain, some things, such as dealing with the media, he will not miss when he does decide to take a back seat.

Who would succeed him will be an interesting matter for the Tigers.

Of the two vice-captains, Chris Newman probably has the edge over Nathan Foley in that at 26, he is older and more experienced than the 22-year-old Foley, notwithstanding the latter's selection to play for Victoria this year in the Hall of Fame clash.

Newman is a well-spoken, intelligent and respected member of the side. The question is whether the club would prefer his steady, unflashy image to an excitement machine like Foley, whose bursts through midfield obviously inspire his teammates to take on their opponents.

Both had solid games yesterday, although neither was spectacular. In Foley's defence, he was still carrying a hip injury that forced him to miss the win over Hawthorn.

Newman smiled after the match yesterday when it was pointed out his name was being thrown around for the captain's role should Johnson decide to relinquish it next season. And he was quick to point out that Johnson hadn't gone yet, that with his 20-possession game yesterday, there was plenty of life left in him and such talk was a "bit premature".

"It would be an honour but I really can't talk too much about it. I don't know what the plans are or how the club wants to go about it but certainly if the opportunity came up, I'd put my hand up," he said. "I've learnt a hell of a lot over the years from Kane and it would be a real privilege. But hopefully, he can go around another couple of years.

"He's an experienced player and had a lot of seasons in his legs. But he's perfectly capable of going on. Fingers crossed he does. It's obviously a huge responsibility. He's handled it really well and always setting the right examples and the right tone, which is really important for the younger group."

With its lack of success in recent years, Richmond has found itself in the fortunate position of being in possession of some of the best young talent in the AFL.

When he was first drafted, Brett Deledio was being touted as a future leader of the club, although over the past four years, his progress has been unfairly measured against the superstar status of Lance Franklin.

However, he is maturing as a person and a player, and this season has been his best by far. Yesterday, as he has been for much of the season, Deledio was instrumental in the Tigers' seven-point win. His pass to Matthew Richardson in the last quarter that set up a goal was brilliant.

He is well-liked by teammates and coaches but going against him might be his shy nature.

But further ahead is the likelihood that Trent Cotchin will one day captain the Tigers.

Already a big contributor to Richmond this season, Cotchin played another fine game, even if he required a rocket from coach Terry Wallace at the three-quarter-time break to spur him on.

It worked, with his weave through traffic midway through the quarter instrumental in getting the ball forward for Jay Schulz to snap truly and put the Tigers out to a winning 19-point margin.

At only 18, captaincy is still some way off for Cotchin, but it is on the cards.And would he like it? You bet.

"It's a nice thing that people are saying good things about me, I've always dreamed of being a captain of an AFL club," he said. "But I can't think about that sort of thing. What's important now is that I've just got to take it one step at a time."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/newman-foley-in-line-to-fill-some-big-boots/2008/08/23/1219262621486.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Newman, Foley in line to fill some big boots (Age)
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 04:05:19 AM »

It worked, with his weave through traffic midway through the quarter instrumental in getting the ball forward for Jay Schulz to snap truly and put the Tigers out to a winning 19-point margin.

At only 18, captaincy is still some way off for Cotchin, but it is on the cards.And would he like it? You bet.

"It's a nice thing that people are saying good things about me, I've always dreamed of being a captain of an AFL club," he said. "But I can't think about that sort of thing. What's important now is that I've just got to take it one step at a time."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/newman-foley-in-line-to-fill-some-big-boots/2008/08/23/1219262621486.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

That conversation did arise after that piece of play. He just has it does the Cotch  :thumbsup

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »
no doubt the club will make the mistake and pick newman or foley to be our next captain. why do i say this , because we have a history of always picking the wrong person. our last true captain was the flea, maybe i am a bit harsh on free but weightman was our last real captain.  if the club feels that deledio is too young to take on the role they are stupid, deledio is ready but say if they for some reason feel it cant be him then it has to be TUCK.  newman and foley dont have leadership in them as tuck does.

for me deledio captain
tuck and tambling as vc's

Tigermonk

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 10:38:41 AM »
Just taking the mickey out of some here with my Bowden jibe at being captain

Shane Tuck  :thumbsup

l said it before that he should be captain in other threads & the reason is his resouces,  family members & his form over years
its obvious he has struggled carrying the Tuck name & Ablett blood & having high exspectations to be a champion footballer before coming to Richmond & his rest playing at SANFL level helped him keep his passion to play football, he should be rewarded for his past few seasons of very hard work. Him being in the side yesterday was alone why we got over the line for the win.
Everyone should be proud of the way Shane Tuck has played all year, its his best season & Richo will struggle to shake him off for that B&F

Shane Tuck for Captain