Author Topic: Who should become our next captain?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who should become our next captain?
« on: August 22, 2008, 02:36:03 AM »
If Sugar steps down as captain at the end of the year as mentioned in today's Age, who should become our captain for next year?

Johnson ... is understood to have indicated he would look at handing over the captaincy after four years in the job.

Should Johnson indicate the captaincy be passed on, Chris Newman probably would be narrow favourite to take the position over Nathan Foley. The prevailing view at Richmond is that emerging debutant Trent Cotchin is in the box seat to become a long-term captain of the club once the top draft pick reaches his early 20s.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/richmond-veterans-to-play-on/2008/08/21/1219262414255.html

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
Re: Who should become our next captain?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:27:49 AM »
it has to be deledio, but i am sure terry will stuff it up and give it to newman or foley

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »
it has to be deledio, but i am sure terry will stuff it up and give it to newman or foley

correct.

lids captain. non negotiable
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »

correct.

Imo Lids can be a bit on himself and not the team. Would like to see Lids win more footy at ground level, and lead from the front and not the end of handball recieves. Thats not bagging him as you need a blend of both gatherers of stats and recievers of stats. Newy now and Lids furhter  down the track.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:39:04 AM »

correct.

Imo Lids can be a bit on himself and not the team. Would like to see Lids win more footy at ground level, and lead from the front and not the end of handball recieves. Thats not bagging him as you need a blend of both gatherers of stats and recievers of stats. Newy now and Lids furhter  down the track.

i have loved watching lids this year. Outside of Moore i think he has been our most improved so yeah would love to see him captain.

Foley has got close to no chance you would think. He has to learn how to break tags before he can focus on important things such as  being captain .

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 08:53:43 AM »
l'm back resting up but not here for long  ;D
Bowden make a great captain till his retirement  :thumbsup

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »
Deledio for me. Foley vice.

If Sugar steps down and Terry wants another year before Lids/Foley/Newman then I reckon Richo would do a fine job for a season given the more team-oriented role he has played this season. It would be a fitting end to his career.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »

Give Richo the job for next year and then amke the long term appointment.

:cheers

bushranger

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:54:50 AM »
I think what the_boy_jake said has a lot of good points about it.
But wouldn't be better to have a long term leader out there.
As Richo as good as he is is getting a little long in the tooth, so wont be there for that much longer.
Where as our young squad has some real good quality players in it. And with the help of a few older players I think it could work for us.
We need to have a strong base to build on and richo term is now short.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »
It's time we went for a captain who will lead a generational shift in thinking and more importnatly doing and yes Lids is the man. This must happen much like a Carey or a Voss.  

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 11:01:54 AM »

A captain should be able to inspire others, lead others, show courage and passion, win games of his own boot and can help develope other players through experience.There is only 1 man to do this

Deledio NO Foley NO Newman NO Bowden Maybe

RICHO without a doubt

:bow :bow :bow :bow

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
It's time we went for a captain who will lead a generational shift in thinking and more importnatly doing and yes Lids is the man. This must happen much like a Carey or a Voss.  

It would not hurt to have Lids wait for 1-2 years for the job.

Give it to Richo and tell him it is for one-two years only.

:cheers

bushranger

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:55:02 AM »
Richo would make a decent kind of captain. But I still think he does one to many dummy spits. And this isn't a way yopu want the young ones to be inspirered by. So I would make him and Bowden the VC's and Newman or Delideo as captain.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »
3 or 4 months ago I would have said Foley. 2 months ago was even open to the idea of Newman. But now I just don't see them as the "ones"

The last month I've thought Lids has shown great maturity and leadership. I've also had the belief that Tambling is a natural leader too

So I'd go with Deledio, a clear long term appointment which is probably what we need.

However if he they deem that he isn't ready then I like Jake's idea of giving it to Richo for 12 months... perhaps co-captains with Lids wearing the no 17.

Let's be honest Richo was inspiring on Sunday, especially the last qtr
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 03:00:20 PM »
Richo should have been given the role ahead of Sugar, that much is obvious

his time has passed. let him enjoy his final years as the best player at the rfc for the last 30 years.

lids captain.