Author Topic: Tigers search for rare gems (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3205 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers search for rare gems (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:45:18 AM »
Tigers search for rare gems
Jon Ralph | August 28, 2009

RICHMOND's recruiting team has been told to scour the land for Australia's best mature-aged recruits in a bid to find the next Greg Broughton or Liam Anthony.

While Richmond will take an A-grade midfielder with its first selection in the national draft - probably pick No. 3 - the club is desperate to find inventive ways to replace players it will inevitably cull.

The Tigers would like to end the careers of as many as 12 players, but only 4-6 of the replacements will come via a national draft short on depth.

After the success of VFL recruit Robin Nahas from Port Melbourne, the club is investigating whether it can bring in players in the 19-21 age bracket who are flourishing in state-based competitions.

Broughton, 22 has been a rookie revelation for Fremantle, while Anthony, 21, has dominated in the midfield for North Melbourne.

Richmond is not interested in washed-up 25-year-olds, but rather players who can emerge and forge 10-year careers.

The club yesterday confirmed it was thinking left of centre, given the national draft is thin and picks over 50 will be highly speculative.

As reported in yesterday's Herald Sun, midfielder Brett Deledio is being keenly sought by rivals including Hawthorn, and was holding out while he assessed the club's direction.

While insiders privately worried about his leadership qualities early this year, Deledio has been a breathe of fresh air since the change of coach.

He is on around $300,000-$350,000 a season and after last season's best-and-fairest win and an expected strong finish this year, deserves a hefty pay rise.

While he will take up a chunk of the club's salary cap, the more critical issue is how Richmond fares tonight against West Coast at Subiaco Oval.

The Tigers cannot afford to win.

They has pick No. 3, and given Fremantle will probably lose to Geelong tomorrow, they would likely forfeit it if they beat West Coast and leapfrog the Dockers.

In this year's draft there are three dominant midfielders - Victoria's Tom Scully, South Australia's Jack Trengove and West Australia's Anthony Morabito.

Given Melbourne - with picks one and two - will probably take two of those players, Richmond must be in a position to snare the third.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25991324-19742,00.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers search for rare gems (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:55:36 AM »
Thanks Jon Ralph!  >:( Now every other club, if they weren't doing so already, will jump on the bandwagon and be looking for the same types as we are.  :banghead

The media love to keep us down don't they and some go out of their way to find ways to hurt the club.

I like the idea of bring in some young players that have stepped up in the VFL after being overlooked initially at draft time. Worked with Nahas and often those that had to fight the hardest to get and then retain a position on a list are the best team players and most hard working. If we can secure a few strong 19 - 22 year olds on our Rookie list I wouldn't be upset considering that the Rookie List will be extended this year.

I'm guessing, besides Gilligan, every other player on this years Rookie List will be promoted or delisted so their should be plenty of room.

Stripes

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:57:56 AM »
After the seasons of Broughton and Anthony, teams would already have guys out keeping a close eye on the WAFL and SANFL.

Other teams aren't that stupid.

That's why Casserley may be worth a punt again..... IF someone else doesn't get him before us.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
Liam Anthony was pick 43 in last year's draft. We traded away pick 42  :P. No point talking about finding "gems" unless we've learnt our lesson about not trading decent picks for recycled duds.

Interesting that pick 50 is mentioned in the article. I'm reading into that we'll use all our picks up into the 50s. At the moment that's four picks - 3, 19, 35, 51. We need to trade for more. If the Saints are really interested in taking Jordie then we'll probably get their pick 49 in return (doubting we'll con them into coughing up pick 33).

As for tonight's game if Freo wants Morabito then it won't matter if we win but I'd rather not risk it to lose a chance at either Trengove or Butcher. It's better off controlling your own destiny.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
After the seasons of Broughton and Anthony, teams would already have guys out keeping a close eye on the WAFL and SANFL.

That's why Casserley may be worth a punt again..... IF someone else doesn't get him before us.
Why do you keep bringing up Casserley.  He's a dud.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »

Why do you keep bringing up Casserley.  He's a dud.

You again!!  :rollin

He's my cousin...

lol, nah, I thought he looked ok in his only ever game against the Saints in the NAB cup a couple years back.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
Toms Harms (Sturt, SA)
DOB: 15 Jun 91
H: 185
W: 76
Sturt/Immanuel College

Goal Kicking Midfielder, very good over head, natural sportsmen apparently tainted for a SA rookie contract for crikcet.

Matthew Scott (Easter Ranges, Vic Metro)
H: 185
W: 71
Eastern Ranges/Yarra Valley

Long racking left footer that is very good over head. Bit light at 71, but with some NZ blood in him should fill out nicely. Currently playing cricket for Melbourne University as a very classy all rounder. Another natural sportsmen.

Add these two kids with Trengrove to start with IMO. Trengrove and Harms would get on well being both from Sturt and Scott being a local boy would fit right in.

From there maybe look to draft Joshy Free along with some KPP players.
Go Tigers!

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »
Webberly from Tasmania.
Nat Fyfe from WA.
Even worth looking at Liddle and Carnell from Coburg.

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
Ben Griffiths and Aaron Black to fill Key Foward Posts

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:48:23 AM »
Ben Griffiths and Aaron Black to fill Key Foward Posts

Ben Griffiths can play.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »
Definitely hope Griffiths slips to our 2nd pick, especially if we take a midfielder early
Talia would be nice too.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 07:46:08 PM »
Scott Watters on the radio coverage before the game last night was pumping up Jason Salecic from West Perth as a possible mature recruit but at 25 he's probably too old for us to consider plus he's only 177cm tall (80kg). Anyone here seen him play?

http://www.waflonline.com.au/players/player.php?playerID=5381

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »
I read on a Port forum that they would look at picking up some guy called Mieklejohn??

He's a ruckman that has been performing well. I don't think he's that guy Sydney had with the same name.

EDIT: James Meikeljohn from the Magpies.

He is the guy from Sydney. Only 197cm.

http://www.portmagpies.com.au/player_profile.php?pid=1013

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
EDIT: James Meikeljohn from the Magpies.

He is the guy from Sydney. Only 197cm.
Too short for a ruckman these days unless they have a freakish leap. That's the problem Simmo has who is the same height. We might as well held onto Cartledge last year  :-\.

Ramps

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 12:15:52 AM »
Scott Watters on the radio coverage before the game last night was pumping up Jason Salecic from West Perth as a possible mature recruit but at 25 he's probably too old for us to consider plus he's only 177cm tall (80kg). Anyone here seen him play?

http://www.waflonline.com.au/players/player.php?playerID=5381

If he can play then why not take, hes a rover at that height and he could play till he is 30. 25yo would be about the maximum however and youd only take him with the last picks in the draft.