Author Topic: Coaching Sub-committee set up at Tigerland  (Read 3650 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Coaching Sub-committee set up at Tigerland
« on: May 18, 2004, 11:36:39 PM »
Hutchy on Talking Footy mentioned tonight that we've set up a sub-comittee to evaluate and decide on who's going to be our coach. That's not to say Danny is out. He's on the committee I think and will be in the running. Hutchy also claimed that the Club had David Parkin involved in some way which Parkin neither confirmed nor denied initially before saying he had chatted to one person from Richmond.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 11:51:39 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Coaching Sub-committee set up at Tigerland
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 08:52:36 AM »
Gee I knew should have stayed awake for Talking Footy  ;D

If David Parkin is involved I reckon that is a good thing.

As long as he doesn't recommend Wayne Brittian  ;D

But seriously I think David Parkin knows a bit about coaching and what you need in a successful coach
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 01:59:54 PM »
Anyone who knows the footy caper knows that you need a solid administration to be half a chance of achieving any sort of success.  And their ability to pick the right man for the job is paramount.

It’s interesting then that the sub-committee is evaluating who is going to be the next Coach.  A big Club like Richmond should be a much sought after job.

I wonder though if it will be a case of who is willing to take on the challenge, rather than who do we choose.  And unless the Club is able to convince prospective coaches that the "it's always the Coach's fault" mentality is a thing of the past then it will become a process of elimination, rather than preferred choice.

I don’t think it’s just a case of unflinching support for the coach that they will be looking for though, because candidates will be heavily swayed by the potential they see for the Club to be successful.  We’ve been down for a long time now so, more than anything else, candidates will need to be convinced about the ability of the Board and Administration to steer the Club in a united, professional and responsible manner.  Because if they don’t feel confident about that side of the Club then the “preferred” coach won’t come near us in a fit.   And why would they when they know that they will be on a hiding to nothing.

I’m not sure of who the sub-committee is made up of, but I assume Greg Miller would be part of that and having David Parkin involved in some capacity can’t hurt either and adds greater credibility to the process, for a Club lacking in experienced “football” people.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 02:15:27 PM »
Good to have Parkin at punt road for the same reasons Tiger Spirit listed.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 02:31:08 PM »
Great that the commitee has been formed, now all we need them to do is something EFFECTIVE. Yes the presence of David Parkin does lend it credibility but im also afraid of the sentiment that he may have toward Wayne Brittian, he might be a bit one-eyed.

There is no way Frawley is going to be the coach next year barring an absolute miricle, we would just about have to win every game and just about play in the granny for him to have any show in hell. Please dont replace him with Wayne Brittain :o
masquerade masks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:05:04 PM by Rodgerramjet »
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 09:58:46 AM »
I had taped Talking Footy and watched it last night.  From the information he had, Craig Hutchison said that David Parkin had been asked to consider joining the sub-committee to select the next Richmond coach.  David stated that he has only been involved in the process (the sub-committee adopts), in terms of the criteria that is set up and the process a club should go through in a number of instances (to select a Coach, I think is what he was meaning).

As it stands, David is not involved in actually selecting the Coach.

Craig Hutchison then directly asked David whether he had been asked to consider joining Richmond’s sub-committee to determine the future of Danny and also any possible coach beyond that.  He said no and stated that he has only spoken to one member of RFC about setting up a process to evaluate and select a coach.

It is possible that Danny could be one of the candidates (results to the end of the season will more than likely determine that).

Nothing was said about who was on the sub-committee, but, as luck would have it, on the same tape, I came across an interview with Greg Miller on White Line Fever, conducted after the Adelaide game.  During the interview, Greg stated that he, Clinton Casey and one other would be on the sub-committee to determine the next coach.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.