Author Topic: Gaspar's True Colours: from RFC Site  (Read 1871 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Gaspar's True Colours: from RFC Site
« on: October 29, 2004, 11:09:03 AM »
Gas shows his true colors . . .
8:54:41 AM Fri 29 October, 2004

Richmond’s Director of Football, Greg Miller

The Richmond Football Club has certainly been a busy place since the end of the 2004 season.

I’m sure you’re all well aware that up to a dozen players from our ’04 list have departed the Club in the past few weeks.

Along with the 9-10 changes to the playing personnel we made last year, you can see that it doesn’t take long to significantly reshape your list.

Going forward, we’ll have a group of young men who will come through the ranks together at Tigerland and form the nucleus of our next premiership side.

They’re the Richmond stars of tomorrow, but for now, I want to talk about a true Tiger champion of the present.

I refer to our dual All-Australian representative and Club vice-captain Darren Gaspar.

While a lot has been said about how much Darren’s current playing contract is worth, let’s cast our minds back to 2001 when he won the Jack Dyer Medal and earned All-Australian selection following a superb season in the Tigers’ defence.

The Fremantle Dockers targeted Darren as their No. 1 choice in the pre-season draft at the end of that year, such was his standing in the competition back then as an outstanding backman.

Darren was offered a substantial five-year deal by the Dockers to return to his native WA, but ultimately decided to stay at Richmond for a little less money over the same period of time.

For various reasons since then – most notably the knee reconstruction he underwent midway through 2003, Darren’s form has not reached the heights of that stellar 2001 season.

The supporter and media pressure on Darren throughout this year was intense, to say the least.

I can understand members of the Tiger faith saying that if you are very well paid by the Club for your services, then you must perform accordingly.

Let’s, however, put some things into perspective here . . .

In 2004, Darren Gaspar answered the Club’s call to play from the opening round, even though a delayed start to the season would have been more beneficial to him from an overall fitness perspective.

But as vice-captain, he was keen to shoulder responsibility and help his teammates out. So, he put his hand up to play, even though he was still several weeks away from full fitness.

Unfortunately, as a result, Darren’s form suffered, and the pressure on him intensified.

There were times throughout the season that I would suggest the pressure on Darren from the grandstand, from the media, and also from himself, would have been unbearable.

When the season finished, we sat down with Darren, his wife Sarah, and his manager Ron Joseph, to discuss ways of alleviating this pressure, as well as restoring the respect he deserves within the football world.

I can assure you all that Darren has taken a significant pay cut for 2005 and 2006.

This, combined with a clear run fitness-wise in the pre-season, hopefully will enable him to get back to his best form. Clearly, he is a very important part of our team structure, and we need him firing in ‘05.

I only hope all Richmond fans appreciate Darren’s selfless act, and the critical analysis of him ceases.

Believe me, he deserves to be acknowledged for his commitment to the Tiger cause . . .

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176377
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Gaspar's True Colours: from RFC Site
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 11:27:19 AM »
I have to say I have much greater Gas sicne he took this pay cut.

He could have done a Jerry Maguire sorry I meant an Ottens and said "you've lost faith in me, I am leaving" but no Gas did the team thing. Well done Gas  :thumbsup :cheers :thumbsup

But regarding....

In 2004, Darren Gaspar answered the Club’s call to play from the opening round, even though a delayed start to the season would have been more beneficial to him from an overall fitness perspective.

But as vice-captain, he was keen to shoulder responsibility and help his teammates out. So, he put his hand up to play, even though he was still several weeks away from full fitness.

This is just another indictment on the previous regime. There should never have been a call to answer.  >:(

The coach (what was his name again ;D) should've said "yeah nah thanks for that Gas but no thanks get yourself fit and will see around round 8-9. But NO - they said great we'll play you and he suffered and so did the rest of us. Any fool could have seen he wasn't match fit.  ::) :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 01:07:27 PM »
Up u're ars Greg Miller.

Why cast our minds back to 2001,it was lifetime for a footballer.

He's washed up,face it.

So he's FINALLY done the right thing and taken a pay cut - OH GOODY,LETS KEEP HIM

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 02:41:31 PM »
Well done to Gas on putting the Club first. Legally he didn't have to take a put cut but he did it anyway.

This is just another indictment on the previous regime. There should never have been a call to answer.  >:(

The coach (what was his name again ;D) should've said "yeah nah thanks for that Gas but no thanks get yourself fit and will see around round 8-9. But NO - they said great we'll play you and he suffered and so did the rest of us. Any fool could have seen he wasn't match fit.  ::) :banghead

So desperate for a win to take the pressure off them that they risked playing injured players - Gas, Cogs, ....  >:(
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 03:33:58 PM »
Good on Gaspar for deciding that bending the club over for half a career is enough. Thanks for being only half an ars ole. What a champion!

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 03:37:41 PM »
well i reckon there were a few people trying to save their own asses earlier on this season by player gas and even cogs for that matter...

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 05:07:04 PM »

Cant blame Gas. To his credit he accepted a pay cut.

Nice PR Greg. You get an A+. For the way the team performs on the park since you've been at the club, you get an F.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 10:23:58 PM »
Even though I dont think Gas had much choice as I dont think anyone else in their right minds would pick him up on whatever he has been on.

I have to say good on him anyway - Youv'e done the right thing dude.

As a big critic of Gas mainly because of the money he was on - this year I will relinquish that and support every player on the list
as hopefully and finally this is the start of the Richmond resurgance.  As long as I see 100% effort - no complaints.

If Boston redsox can win one after 86 years there is allways eternal hope.