Author Topic: Deledio Captain!!!  (Read 6135 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Deledio Captain!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »
Lids start to the year was well below par to say the least - I was ropeable at some of his performances.
Took a rocket to rev him up and performed at or close to my expectation of him in the run home, as evidenced by the JD voting.
My only gripe would be he needs to show a bit of mongrel more often, hopefully Hardwick can bring this out in his game, then he will be living up to my expectations of him (which are very high by the way), We need A+ classes in our team to get anywhere and Lids has to be one.
Let's see if he can do it for the whole season next year first.

Newman can stay captain for stability sake, even though I would like to see richo get it for a year, and as stated by others Cuz is our real leader out there anyway.

2011 or 2012 - He can wait and concentrate on his game atm ....

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 01:21:12 PM »
Empty B&F imho.

Deledio would get a B- for his season from me.

As far as captaincy goes well there isn't a standout. I said before Newman got it that they should have given it to Richo to pad it out until one of the younger blokes actually showed a bit of leadership. I still think it would have been a better course to follow than giving it to a middle of the road footballer like Newman. I would have thought that were he not captain he'd be someone we could take to the trade table. We have Cuz now and he would be the best leader but he won't get it. It makes no difference who we give it to for the next couple of seasons anyway we are doomed, but at the very least we should make someone earn it.

I'd rather see Hardwick take Deledio, Cotchin, Tambling, Foley, McGuane and anyone else who might be in the mix aside and tell them that they are auditioning for the job over the next two seasons. Tell them its not always the best player who gets the job but the one who does the most for their teammates.

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
Spot on smokey :bow
He is only 22 should not be captain until 24 - 25. He needs a goal, something to acheive,grow into and work hard for. Do not give it to him until becomes a team first player and a leader on and off the field.
Team first is what Hardwick has spoke about being important going forward, so it only make sense for our captain to be that type of player.
Newman (VC)  Cousin if he want's it should be captain or Richo. They are real Captains.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »

You can blame the previous coaching regime all you want but leadership comes entirely from within and I don't see or hear any leadership potential whatsoever from Deledio.  Newman has more leadership in his big toe than Deledio and even though I am not a big fan of Newman he is far and away a better choice as captain.

Spot on.
Have heard quite a few of our young players speak & Lids is way behind in leadership material.
And a little too much of the Hewitt/Tomic syndrome happening with Lids too I hear.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
the only person he dose speak up in the team and dosent run with tails in between there legs is Cuzins and Richo.

I say richo should be captain given these are his last years

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »

You can blame the previous coaching regime all you want but leadership comes entirely from within and I don't see or hear any leadership potential whatsoever from Deledio.  Newman has more leadership in his big toe than Deledio and even though I am not a big fan of Newman he is far and away a better choice as captain.

Spot on.
Have heard quite a few of our young players speak & Lids is way behind in leadership material.
And a little too much of the Hewitt/Tomic syndrome happening with Lids too I hear.

Hewitt/Tomic are you serious?

Is that the fact he(Lids) thinks he is better than the rest. Please explain.

Tomic is a stuffwit whose career will be ruined by another dad who is living his life through his son.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »
Deledio gets bagged for 'not dong enough'

he's won 2 bfs

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »
Lids is so harshly judged it's not funny!

The 22 year old is the only early draft pick (1st or 2nd rounder) that has lived up to his potential at the RFC since he was drafted. Too early to call on a few others just yet but that certainly seems to be the case at the minute.

In his first year (2006) he won the NAB Rising Star award in one of the best drafts to date.
He was also chosen to represent Australia in the International Rules series for 2005, becoming the youngest Australian player in the competition's history.

In 2007 he averaged 18.4 touches, 5.4 marks and kicked 21 goals. (Not sure where he came in the B&F?)

In 2008 he won the B&F and was in the squad of 40 for All Australian selection. Also in that year he won the AFL Army award.

And last night he won his second B&F.
Not to bad from a kid some on here seem to have a go at pretty regularly. Try doing the same with some of our other drafted kids and see how they compare.

As for him being captain, I think if we are to keep him from wanting out in 3 years time when his contract is up, we need to make him captain next year or the year after, I think the next couple of years ars going to be pretty lean in terms of finals and even wins and if he is not captain he will more than entertain moving to a club playing finals.

He is the future of our club, by far our best player and can only benefit from being the leader of our club.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »

The 22 year old is the only early draft pick (1st or 2nd rounder) that has lived up to his potential at the RFC since he was drafted. Too early to call on a few others just yet but that certainly seems to be the case at the minute.

In his first year (2006) he won the NAB Rising Star award in one of the best drafts to date.
He was also chosen to represent Australia in the International Rules series for 2005, becoming the youngest Australian player in the competition's history.

In 2007 he averaged 18.4 touches, 5.4 marks and kicked 21 goals. (Not sure where he came in the B&F?)

In 2008 he won the B&F and was in the squad of 40 for All Australian selection. Also in that year he won the AFL Army award.

Not to bad from a kid some on here seem to have a go at pretty regularly. Try doing the same with some of our other drafted kids and see how they compare.

As for him being captain, I think if we are to keep him from wanting out in 3 years time when his contract is up, we need to make him captain next year or the year after, I think the next couple of years ars going to be pretty lean in terms of finals and even wins and if he is not captain he will more than entertain moving to a club playing finals.

He is the future of our club, by far our best player and can only benefit from being the leader of our club.

here here :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »

Spot on.

17 yoa Cotchin said his hero was Lids

good enough for me

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »

Agree

The one area I have wanted Lids to really improve in was his defensive game and mindset - reckon he has come in leaps bounds in that area over the last half of 2009 and it is a credit to him and his mental ability to take on board the "kick up the bum" and get it right.

have to disagree - I reckon he speaks very well now compared to 2-3 years ago, he is maturing. On top of that I am not sure what impact how he speaks determines how he leads. Are we talking about public speaking because if we are I would argue that Anthony Stevens was not a great public speaker - actually hated it but he was a fanstatic captain who had the respect of all his team mates. Give me  leader who inspires the players around him and leads them anyday

I would also add get copies of some the games from the 2nd half of the season and see how he marshalls the players at stoppages - natural leader right there

And please explain the Hewitt/Tomic thing I am lost on that one

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »

By his own admission today he has been unfocused, unaware and unprofessional in his attitude and output thus far in his career.  He is paid the most (by a long way now) of those you choose to compare him with so it is entirely justified to expect more from him than the others - that's just the way it is in professional football nowadays.  Yes, he is a very good footballer who has played many good games however he has been very guilty of going missing for quarters, halves and whole games - just as often this year at the age of 22 as in any other.  In a reasonable team he would not get within a bull's roar of a B & F playing the way he has so far in his career.  And this thread is about Deledio as captain - a leader of men at a club full of kids screaming out for guidance and direction.  Deledio would be one of the worst choices for captain we could make at present and even if he has an epiphany under Hardwick then he will not have learnt the lessons and earnt the respect for at least another 5 years.  A captain is a team leader and Deledio does not display any single trait that suggests he will grow into that role.  Add since when do you select a player to be captain for the player's benefit or to keep him at the club?  Talk about perpetuating our cultural mistake of the tail wagging the dog!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »
Bernard Tomic and his crew refused to hit out with Lleyton at Wimbledon because Tomic's old man says that Lleyton is not good enough.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/hewitt-fury-at-tomic-snub-20090917-fs43.html

another spoilt little brat our Bernard is led by a a fool

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
By his own admission today he has been unfocused, unaware and unprofessional in his attitude and output thus far in his career.  He is paid the most (by a long way now) of those you choose to compare him with so it is entirely justified to expect more from him than the others - that's just the way it is in professional football nowadays.  Yes, he is a very good footballer who has played many good games however he has been very guilty of going missing for quarters, halves and whole games - just as often this year at the age of 22 as in any other.  In a reasonable team he would not get within a bull's roar of a B & F playing the way he has so far in his career.  And this thread is about Deledio as captain - a leader of men at a club full of kids screaming out for guidance and direction.  Deledio would be one of the worst choices for captain we could make at present and even if he has an epiphany under Hardwick then he will not have learnt the lessons and earnt the respect for at least another 5 years.  A captain is a team leader and Deledio does not display any single trait that suggests he will grow into that role.  Add since when do you select a player to be captain for the player's benefit or to keep him at the club?  Talk about perpetuating our cultural mistake of the tail wagging the dog!

Certainly don't agree with making someone captain to hang onto to them but I do beleive he will make a very good captain

I was always of the opinion that we should have appointed a young captain this season, gone down the path did with a what was it 21y.o. Carey - who was an outstanding Captain. My view was with the extra responsibility of being Captain a number of things people are critical about would have been eradicated sooner ....

He captained the team in round 22 and did what he needed to do and that was lead and set an example the fact that his team mates didn't give a rats about anything on the night is not his fault.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »

By his own admission today he has been unfocused, unaware and unprofessional in his attitude and output thus far in his career.  He is paid the most (by a long way now) of those you choose to compare him with so it is entirely justified to expect more from him than the others - that's just the way it is in professional football nowadays.  Yes, he is a very good footballer who has played many good games however he has been very guilty of going missing for quarters, halves and whole games - just as often this year at the age of 22 as in any other.  In a reasonable team he would not get within a bull's roar of a B & F playing the way he has so far in his career.  And this thread is about Deledio as captain - a leader of men at a club full of kids screaming out for guidance and direction.  Deledio would be one of the worst choices for captain we could make at present and even if he has an epiphany under Hardwick then he will not have learnt the lessons and earnt the respect for at least another 5 years.  A captain is a team leader and Deledio does not display any single trait that suggests he will grow into that role.  Add since when do you select a player to be captain for the player's benefit or to keep him at the club?  Talk about perpetuating our cultural mistake of the tail wagging the dog!

There's alot I like about this post, your certainly a supporter that  i believe has got his eyes open on this issue. There was another post I read today that you commented on about captaincy that I thought was very good too. Do you think it's possible that a best and fairest can be contrived, I thought I witnessed that last night. :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.