Author Topic: Deledio Captain!!!  (Read 6133 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Deledio Captain!!!
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »
Well I pushed for him to become Captain when they gave the job to Newman and I am pushing again. Two B&F's in a row, youth on his side and the team re-building .....we need him in the Captains position. He is a 6-8 year prospect as a Captain and he deserves it!!

Thoughts, try not to be too negative towards him..... or me for that matter... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Deledio Captain!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:28:52 AM »
Leave it with Newman for another couple. We need to settle it down on field next year wherever we can.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »
I would say since we're going to struggle next year no matter who is captain then probably it's not the time yet to make Lids or any of the cubs captain. Better to wait until we show some genuine upward trends based mainly around improvement from our cubs collectively. Newy did come 3rd in the B&F so it wasn't as though he had an absolute shocker. Lids also got far less points than he did last year IIRC and he was almost dropped midyear. There's still no one at Richmond IMO that says definitely pick me as captain. I could say Cuz but being over 30 and with maintaining a healthy lifestyle a focus he'll never be considered for the captaincy. Just like Richo it's too late to get the gig once you're nearing retirement.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »
Well I pushed for him to become Captain when they gave the job to Newman and I am pushing again. Two B&F's in a row, youth on his side and the team re-building .....we need him in the Captains position. He is a 6-8 year prospect as a Captain and he deserves it!!

Thoughts, try not to be too negative towards him..... or me for that matter... :thumbsup

100% correct WA.

We have had the Newman type as captain before(Sugar). Uninspiring

enough is enough

Lids is a gun player and its about time the club made a stand and said the entire playing group, this is your leader and this is the type of player you should model your game on.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »
Give Newman 1 more year.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:49:14 AM »

100% correct WA.

We have had the Newman type as captain before(Sugar). Uninspiring

enough is enough

Lids is a gun player and its about time the club made a stand and said the entire playing group, this is your leader and this is the type of player you should model your game on.

We finally agree on something Daniel...... and well said mate, he is uninspiring regardless of where he finished in the B&F!! Lets face it people who else would have fiished 3rd in the B&F our list isn't that good. Thats like being excited that you came 3rd in a 100m race.............. against one legged opponents???? :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »
Newman is one player who we really should trade.

He is a glorified version of Sugar and so far from a captain its not funny

Anyone see Nick R, thats a real captain.

Smiling assasin

Captain Kirk

Real captains and real leaders.

People like Newy, Vanderburg and Sugar are not real captains, well on field anyway.

They do nothing to inspire your teammates, nothing at all. Our captain needs to lead from the front and win us games.

do we really want another captain like sugar who couldnt kick a winning goal from 15 metres out if his life depended on it.

I know i dont

If we are all about change at the RFC then it must start with a new captain.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »
Deledio doesn't have that grunt in him.  A captain should visibly show positive, brutal emotion (see Jonothan Brown).

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
Happy to trade Newman but if he stays happy for him to deal with the captaincy while we are bottoming out.

Even though Lids has won two B&F, not too sure if he is captaincy material. 

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »
Forgot to add if we were to promote a player to captain based on pure ability and effort you would give it to Cuz hands down.  Not that he will be in the clubs calculations just that he is the closest thing to a captain currently in the side IMO.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »
Brett Deledio to me seems to be a little girl!

i hear reports of him being unhappy!

now, i really do not know the reasons.

so i keep hearing he is sooking!

i find it interesting that Chris Newman was voted in our three AFLPA MVP. where was Deledio? considering that is voted buy the players.

i don't mind it if Deledio does get the captaincy, but i think he is selfish!

Chris Newman to captain longer!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
An article on our 'future captain' from the club's site today:

Tough love sparked Deledio’s surge
By Mic Cullen 7:50 AM Thu 17 September, 2009

Brett Deledio says a frank assessment of his efforts sparked a strong end to the season

A MID-SEASON honesty session was the key to winning-back-to-back Jack Dyer medals, Brett Deledio has admitted.

Deledio was told by interim coach Jade Rawlings and the leadership group at the Tigers that if he didn't get his act together and run both ways, VFL side Coburg would be welcoming him with open arms.

The declaration was not news to the 22-year-old, who had been told the same thing by former coach Terry Wallace earlier in the season, and in 2008.

But the penny dropped this time around, and Deledio stormed home to win his second 'Jack', sneaking past the leader for most of the evening, Daniel Jackson, in round 21 then clearing away in the last round.

But the first pick in the 2004 NAB AFL Draft admitted that if he hadn't woken up just after Wallace was sacked, he could have been following the coach out the door as well.

The Tigers were belted by the Saints in round 13 to the tune of 56 points, a game which saw them kick just five goals, and Deledio said that game was the catalyst for his form reversal.

"I think after the St Kilda game I got the kick in the pants I needed from Jade and the leadership group and the other coaches," he told richmondfc.com.au after the awards ceremony.

"I was threatened with being dropped, and that really changed my mindset of how I wanted to go about things.

"Credit to the coaching guys, I think they found the best out of me, so I've got to take that into next season, and hopefully we can have some team success."

Despite his strong end to the season, Deledio admitted he thought he was no chance with a few rounds to go.

"I thought Jacko had it all sewn up – I was really nervous,” he said.

"Come round 15 he was about 40 votes in front of me, so I didn't think I was any chance at all, but what can I say?

"I'm just very proud and honoured to have won this award for the second time.

"It's not something you think about really, but I guess the downer is that we didn't have a very good season as a team."

Deledio said he'd already been talking to new coach Damien Hardwick, who has promised to put a tough edge on the Tigers.

"Yeah, I've had a couple of chats to Damien and it seems we're going to be very disciplined in our ways and like he says, we're going to be very 'team first'.

"That's the best way you want to play your footy, I think, so I'm looking forward to that."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/84863/default.aspx

A couple of comments piqued my interest:

"The declaration was not news to the 22-year-old, who had been told the same thing by former coach Terry Wallace earlier in the season, and in 2008."

What the?  You are an elite professional sportsman earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and it takes a few times for the penny to drop on such a basic football skill as accountability?  Not much in the way of leadership there.

"I was threatened with being dropped, and that really changed my mindset of how I wanted to go about things."

No thoughts of trying your guts out when the team was floundering in any sort of attempt to lift or lead them there Brett?  Not much in the way of leadership there.

"That's the best way you want to play your footy, I think, so I'm looking forward to that."

What stopped you from trying to play that way for the first 5 years of your career Brett?  Not much in the way of leadership there.

You can blame the previous coaching regime all you want but leadership comes entirely from within and I don't see or hear any leadership potential whatsoever from Deledio.  Newman has more leadership in his big toe than Deledio and even though I am not a big fan of Newman he is far and away a better choice as captain.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 12:25:45 PM »
No doubt Lids will be the next captain of the RFC....Its only a matter of time.

However dumping Newman after one year will only make the club a mockery again.Besides...Cuz is everything but captain at the moment.

Nothing wrong with making Lids captain in 2012.....when he will be a 25 year old/150 game veteran.

Unleash the tornado

Ox

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Deledio doesn't have that grunt in him.  A captain should visibly show positive, brutal emotion (see Jonothan Brown).

I agree.

What a joke.

Amazing what attention u get with blonde hair.

Disgusting that he even won the award.

Con65

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
I actually think we have another captain in our ranks...in 2012 - Cotchin- will be a 5th year player then...probably have about 60 plus games (subject to injury) in him...Very mature kid.