Author Topic: Fleming was "shocked" at being delisted  (Read 1437 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Fleming was "shocked" at being delisted
« on: October 30, 2004, 01:34:05 AM »
The delisting game
By Lyall Johnson
The Age
October 30, 2004

Tim Fleming's delisting, after two successful years at Richmond, shows the sometimes ruthless and cut-throat nature of the system.

Having played 17 senior games in 2004, but out of contract at the end of the season, Fleming was told right through the trade period he was a required player at Punt Road.

But with Richmond keen to delist at least two more players and not able to afford to pay out the contracts of a number of contracted players who would have been sacked ahead of Fleming, the out-of-contract Luke Weller and Fleming were shown the door last week.

He is disappointed and somewhat angry that the assurances made to him were not honoured, but at least hopeful his service at Richmond will be recognised by another club. The rugged midfielder is also heartened to hear that, since being delisted, the coaching staff at Richmond have been talking him up with other clubs to help him find a new home.

"That's footy, I suppose," Fleming said. "But I was pretty shocked. I hadn't had any indication it was coming. I had been told a number of times there was no concern and had been told what my role was and everything like that, so . . . it knocked me around."

For Fleming, the disappointment is heightened because he feels, having started senior footy at the relatively late age of 24, he was only really starting to find his feet at senior level, had plenty of improvement to come and a body that has not been knocked around by years of play at the top level.

With no plans to play at a lower level, Fleming has set his sights on being taken in the national draft - "just to put me out of my misery . . . rather than wait for December to get an answer in the pre-season draft because you have a lot of sleepless nights and you are getting up and training your guts out not knowing whether it is going to be for nothing". In the meantime, he has been invited to the Kangaroos to take part in their pre-season training which starts next week.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/29/1099028215625.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Fleming was "shocked" at being delisted
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 01:45:52 AM »
You can see where he's coming from in terms of the effort he put in on the field but being out of contract and with such poor skills it was no surprise when he finally got cut. This time of year is a meat market and the harsh reality is trying your hardest isn't going to save you if your skills aren't up to AFL standard.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 03:40:33 AM »
All the same, I hope someone picks him up.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 12:43:08 PM »
MT Summed up the state of affairs with his second post.

There are no friends in biznes.....
except if Frawley is in charge!

I actually was one of Tim supporters and wish him the best

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 04:29:02 PM »
I actually was one of Tim supporters and wish him the best

I was a fan too but as MT rightly pointed out with his lack of skills and more importantly being out of contract and the Club needing to maximise its position in the draft I think it is reasonable to say the right decision made.

But I too wish him all the best and hope some one picks him up - I can seeing him ending up at somewhere like the Whitten Oval or Bomberland - can just see Sheeds doing it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 05:56:05 PM »
I can see Sheeds doing it 2 WP.

Just his style.....rotten dog. :lol

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 05:04:09 PM »
You can try but unless u got the goods you are worthless....

I was shocked he stayed.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne