Author Topic: Rant on Rant  (Read 744 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Rant on Rant
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »
I want to tip a bit of a bucket tonight due to some of the comments about our list. 

1. Trading
We are building a list (again). You don't trade your best players with a list like ours.  We have very few good players. While he is not perfect, Nathan Foley is one. And a superb example off the field.
We should use our mediocre win/loss record in 2009 to draft good young talent, not the last few players that add something to our current crap  list.

2. Recycled Players
We don't need them. It just doesn't matter if we have Adam Thomson or Tom Hislop or Jordy or insert name here from the past 10 years.
Lets just pick up as many young, unproven players via the draft and back our recruiting team to get it right on enough occasions.  The only exception is via December with a quality player - see Cuz.

3. Young players
We have so many young players that look hopeless today but have not been in the system long enough to make that call. Take Dean Putt. 203cm with reasonable athleticism and is just 20 years old. 2 years in the AFL system and I read about his lack of courage as a reason to write him off. A very well known coach (at Collingwood in the 90's) once made the comment you really only see the development in the 4th year and beyond. Anyone 21 yo or younger still may have something to offer the club.  It might be point of difference for Hardwick compared to Wallace.
If there is one thing about Wallace, his development program of young players was non existent.

It will take some time but short cuts and impatience won't fix anything.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Rant on Rant
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »
I want to tip a bit of a bucket tonight due to some of the comments about our list. 

1. Trading
We are building a list (again). You don't trade your best players with a list like ours.  We have very few good players. While he is not perfect, Nathan Foley is one. And a superb example off the field.
We should use our mediocre win/loss record in 2009 to draft good young talent, not the last few players that add something to our current crap  list.

I have no problem with re-building and I would rather trade for picks than players.

But reality is this is the final "uncompromised" compromised draft for what the next 4-5 years? And personally all I have ever advocated is for our club to try and trade for another first round pick. The only way we could do this was/is to trade a player on our list that other teams deem to have currency. Foley fits that category because as you say he a good player on a crap list. For me he was the obvious choice for trade as I reckon you would easily get a first rounder for him. Struth if the Saints will give up pick 16 for Lovett and Carlton pick 11 for Sooky McLean it makes sense that Foley would give you a first rounder. However, the RFC has chosen to throw Tuck out there instead and I reckon if we are really lucky we will get a late 2nd rounder. We needed to be daring to try and a get a another 1st round pick, we've chosen not to and so that is that

3. Young players
We have so many young players that look hopeless today but have not been in the system long enough to make that call. Take Dean Putt. 203cm with reasonable athleticism and is just 20 years old. 2 years in the AFL system and I read about his lack of courage as a reason to write him off. A very well known coach (at Collingwood in the 90's) once made the comment you really only see the development in the 4th year and beyond. Anyone 21 yo or younger still may have something to offer the club.  It might be point of difference for Hardwick compared to Wallace.
If there is one thing about Wallace, his development program of young players was non existent.

Forget about a former C'wood coach has to said a certain recently departed RFC coach (aka TW) always said the same thing and I don't think you'd find many agreeing with him  ;D

Anyway back on Putt. I would normally agree that he should get another season on the senior but I've watched him closely the last 2 years and IMHO he went backwards this season. He really struggled more times than not at VFL senior level. He seems to "star" at VFL ressie level and then go missing in at VFL seniors. That's not a good sign.

Having said all that my suggestion regarding Putt would be to de-list him and then rookie him, keeping him in the system, giving him another year to develop under the coaching regime and seeing what happens from there.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:14 PM »

1. Trading

2. Recycled Players
We don't need them. It just doesn't matter if we have Adam Thomson or Tom Hislop or Jordy or insert name here from the past 10 years.
Lets just pick up as many young, unproven players via the draft and back our recruiting team to get it right on enough occasions.  The only exception is via December with a quality player - see Cuz.

3. Young players

It will take some time but short cuts and impatience won't fix anything.

1. agree: trade for draft picks!

2. agree: no recycled players!

3. agree: give the Cubs a go!

:)

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
most of the youngsters have been given a go. some wont make it. a couple of recycleds like Farmer need to come in especially if they can dispose of the footy properly.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »

1. Trading

We need a lot of things to go our way to turn this list into a premiership list over the next 5-6 years. We need to draft well, but we need to do more than that by winning at the trade table too. If we take a conservative approach I see us topping at say a Bulldogs list with a good core (Johnson-Smith-West-Grant) ultimately lacking a 2 or 3 key players. In Foley I see a good footballer, one who had a breakout year and then a good year but who perhaps didn't react as well as I hoped to closer attention. If we got pick 7 or 8 and the next Jimmy Bartel or Joel Selwood for him I'd see that as a win. Of course we could lose out and get a worse player, or get a player of similar ability but I'm not that bothered by that because I'd feel that at least we had a go and took a chance. We need to take chances and win big otherwise the process becomes too incremental during the compromised drafts and the likes of Deledio and Cotchin will become senior players during a second rebuilding phase.

I actually reckon Nathan Foley has a bit more currency than Brock McLean but otherwise they are players of similar standing at their clubs last season. I know its a different situation with McLean wanting out, but there has been a lot of envy towards Melbourne for getting 11 for him, and personally I reckon we could have pushed for a higher first round pick than that.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »
most of the youngsters have been given a go. some wont make it. a couple of recycleds like Farmer need to come in especially if they can dispose of the footy properly.

I am with you here Ramps, I also would of looked at the players I have mentioned on this site before they were traded, they can't be too bad otherwise they would not have been traded on the first day!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:01:24 AM »
Farmer is only coming to Richmond because King and White are probably not in the long term plans of Hardwick (just my guess). Therefore Farmer who as a junior had fairly good disposal skills and can play as a small defender becomes a via proposition for us. For those saying he is small, he is about 178cm and about 79/80kgs. He isnt tall, but opposition small forwards like Milne arent tall either, at 80kgs he is in the ball park for being a correct size, he has speed and can kick the footy. On the other hand, Schulz isnt going to do anything for us going forward, so if we can get an upgrade on picks, I think it becomes a winning trade for us.