Author Topic: McKee to talk to Tigers  (Read 1486 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
McKee to talk to Tigers
« on: October 31, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »
Ex-Magpie ruckman talks to Tigers
By Peter Ker
The Age
October 31, 2004

Axed Collingwood ruckman Steve McKee will meet Richmond this week in a bid to revive his career.

McKee was delisted by the Magpies last Monday after five seasons at the club, but said yesterday that he had not given up hope of continuing his AFL career.

"I've got a meeting this week," he said. "I'm going to speak to Richmond and see how that goes. We will see what comes of that and I will just take it from there."

McKee hopes to train with the Tigers before turning his attention to December's pre-season draft.

"Hopefully I will get to train with someone," he said. "I've been training by myself a bit lately. I've put my name in (the pre-season draft) and I will see what happens."

McKee's career will turn full circle if he does secure a passage back to Punt Road.

The Tigers drafted the 199-centimetre ruckman from Myrtleford with the 55th pick in the 1996 national draft. He played 15 games in three seasons before being traded to Collingwood.

"There's still some guys at Richmond from when I started my career, so that would be good," he said.

But his chances have not been helped by the flush of ruckmen into pre-season draft calculations.

Brisbane Lion Clark Keating and St Kilda pair Jason Blake and Trent Knobel could all find themselves in the pre-season draft after failing to reach new terms with their clubs.

Richmond lost ruckman Brad Ottens to Geelong in post-season negotiations, but picked up Troy Simmonds from Fremantle to boost its tall-man stocks.

McKee became a cult figure during his 69 games at Collingwood, before a change to the ruck rule limited his effectiveness.

McKee's style of rucking was not suited to the new rule, which forced ruckman to jump into one another front on. Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse commented earlier this year that the rule threatened to force McKee out of football.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/30/1099028262238.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: McKee to talk to Tigers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 03:32:03 AM »
McKee became a cult figure during his 69 games at Collingwood, before a change to the ruck rule limited his effectiveness.

McKee's style of rucking was not suited to the new rule, which forced ruckman to jump into one another front on. Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse commented earlier this year that the rule threatened to force McKee out of football.

That's what concerns me. The "Primus" rule has knobbled McKee and it's a big risk to use our first pick of the PSD on someone who may be finished because of it.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 03:36:26 AM »
Was an ordinary player before the rule and after it.

lmfaooooo@cult figue

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 03:51:13 AM »
At the Pies when they made the 2002 GF he did alright. He was still an ordinary player but did the job they needed from him. Since the new rule came in he's played mostly VFL at Willy.

lmfaooooo@cult figure

So was Plapp lol. Must be journo code for ordinary  ;)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 09:52:59 PM »
Cult figure my arse, all my collingwood friends reckon he is a skank!!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 11:18:42 PM »
PASS