Author Topic: Jimmy Jess  (Read 6560 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jimmy Jess
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:02 PM »
Jimmy Jess was on SEN tonight. He lives in Robe in SA. He went there to coach in 2003 (played a couple of games as well at the age of 48 ), liked the place and stayed. He still has a family farm in his old home town of Avoca.

Here's a tribute page on the Avoca FC site .......

Jess with hair - Avoca B&F at 17 y.o. (1972)  ............ Richmond (1980) ................ Avoca B&F at 41 y.o. (1996)

Jim Jess is the most distinguished footballer ever to come out of Avoca. Along with the great Colin Niven, who played with Natte Yallock, and later Fitzroy and Melbourne, Jess will always be remembered as a local product who went on to become a champion in the best competition in Australia.

The rugged big man played in Richmond`s 1980 Premiership team. He was picked to represent Victoria on five occasions and arguably his greatest accolade was selection in the 1980 All Australian team.

Ironically, his league career went precariously close to ending before it started.

Whilst he dreamed of making the big league, like many country boys he loved his life in the bush, and was suspicious and frightened of the city.

A confident lad, but out of his environment he was shy.

In his teens Jim had shown outstanding potential, and caught the eye of most VFL talent scouts, although he was zoned to St Kilda.

Soon a deputation from St Kilda, full of its own importance, tracked down young Jess. After spruiking for an hour about the virtues of playing with the Saints and living in the big smoke, they were puzzled by the boy`s reluctance.

`Well son, you know where to find us,` said one of the officials. `If you change your mind and want to give it a go, come and see us.`  That man was responsible for one of the worst recruiting blunders ever.

It seemed no time after the Saints Ford fairlane had pulled out of sight, and the dust had settled, that officials from Carlton arrived in their BMW.

The Blues certainly talked a more enticing language, Money, a car, a job, nothing seemed a problem, But, like the Saints, the men from Carlton were surprised by the lack of interest.

It seemed there was no way this kid could be enticed to Melbourne.

By now Jim was playing with St Arnaud.

Patiently watching his rapid progress was Paddy Guinane.

The former Richmond champion had served his apprenticeship under the prince of recruitment officers, the great Graeme Richmond. Paddy had inherited a unique shrewdness and developed the art of winning the confidence of young bush talent.

Paddy made an effort to get to know Jim, his father and his family.

Gradually Paddy became a trusted friend, and it was just a matter of time before he would utter the magic words, “Son, if you’re sure you want to play league football, you come down to Richmond with me, and we’ll really look after you.

Those reassuring words won Jim Jess`s confidence, and thus launched what would prove to be an exciting and memorable league career.

Footnote: This above extract was taken from Bush Heroes during the 1993 season.

Jim Jess coached Avoca to the 1993 Premiership after this book had been published.

Unfortunately though, Jim could not play in the Grand Final after suffering a knee injury in the 2nd semi final.

Jim won the 93 L.F.L Goalkicking Award with 103 goals and was also runner up in the club Best & Fairest award. He kicked 20 goals in one game vs Landsborough.

He coached Avoca in 94 and played in the Grand Final, but unfortunately our arch rivals from down the road, Natte extracted revenge from the previous season.

Jim won the Avoca Best & Fairest award in 1996, which is 24 years since he had previously won the same award in 1972 as a 17 year old boy.

He was Runner up in the L.F.L Best & Fairest award and also the Maffescioni Award and at long last, finally achieved his ambition to play in a premiership with the Avoca Football Club.   He also coached the Lexton Football League.

Jim would play in premierships for Avoca in 1997 and 1998 and was judged to be the winner of the VCFL medal for the best player in the Grand Final in 1997.

Jim finally hung up his boots after the 1999 season, but did play a couple of games for Robe FC in 2003 when he coached that club to a Premiership after being wooden spooners the previous season.

In 1997, Jim Jess was presented Life Membership of the Avoca Football & Netball Club.

Jim Jess Honour Roll

1968 - Winner of Under 15 Club Best & Fairest.

1971 - Played in Senior Runner Up Side.  16 year old.

1972 - Winner of Club Best & Fairest.

-  Winner of Best Under 20 and Best Under 18 club awards.

-  Played in Senior Runner Up Side.

-  Kicked a club record of 16 goals vs Amphitheatre.

-  His bother, John Jess equalled this record with 16 goals vs Moonambel in 1982.

1973 - Cleared to St Arnaud FC.

1975 - Winner of North Central FL Best & Fairest Award.         

Went on to play 223 games with Richmond FC, 1980 Premiership, represented Victoria on 5 occasions, and 1980 All Australian Rep.

Coached Balranald FC and Burnie FC to premierships and then returned to Avoca in 1993.

1993 - Coach of Premiership side.

- Winner of LFL Goalkicking award with 103 goals.

1994 - Senior Coach.

1995 - Played with Port Fairy FC.

1996 - Winner of Avoca Club Best & Fairest Award.

- Runner Up in LFL Best & Fairest Award.

- Played in 1996 Premiership.

- Coach of LFL Team.

1997 - Played in 1997 Premiership.

- Winner of Mervyn Howard Memorial Medal for VCFL Best in Grand Final.

- Presented with Life Membership of Avoca FNC.

1998 - Played in 1998 Premiership.

1999 - Retired at end of season.

2003 - Coached Robe to Premiership.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-6176-80669-0-0&sID=89864

Tigermonk

Re: Gospel according to Jim Jess
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
Thats a pretty good honor roll for the Ghost

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »
One of my favourite players growing up was Jimmy. Great career  :thumbsup

bushranger

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »
As a kid I loved him and the Tiger's.
I honestly think this is why I wear a beard today.
It has to be because of him.
He was a god and a hero to me as a young kid.
Would love to meet the fella oneday for real.
It would be a dream come true.
Though the memories have faded, I still know that he was my all time top player over all.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jimmy Jess
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »
For those interested the 'Ghost' Jimmy Jess is on SEN with Finey right now (just after 9pm).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jimmy Jess reflections (RFC)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
Ghostly reflections

By Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
Mon 16 Jan, 2012

Jimmy Jess was a Tigerland cult figure from the mid-1970s through until the late 80s, when he hung up his boots after a stellar 223-game career. The Richmond supporters loved the warrior-like on-field attitude of Jess, and his happy-go-lucky nature away from the field of battle.

In this 1982 feature article, which appeared in ‘Australian Football Action’ magazine under the heading:  “THE GHOST WHO WALKS, RUNS, MARKS, AND KICKS”, Jess discusses his arrival at Tigerland, his key-position versatility, and a range of other topics in typically laid-back, country style.

Read full article here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/127898/default.aspx

Ox

Re: Jimmy Jess reflections (RFC)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
looking back,JJ was my childhood hero.

As a kid,seeing this man kick a goal from just past the center circle has been a lifetime memory and has not been surpassed by anything i have seen to date.

Was hard as nails and lept as high as the best.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
“A backman’s job is made a lot easier if you have forwards who are prepared to do the hard work like running, chasing, smothering and tackling.

“It puts the pressure on the opposition backmen who find it hard to deliver the ball properly to their forwards if they are under pressure. The backman has to kick the ball in a hurry, and of course doesn’t deliver it to his forwards as cleanly as he would like.

“If there is no pressure on down the ground it just makes the defender’s job so much harder and it’s hard to stop a forward who is getting the ball delivered to him properly.

into this...

While there may be many fitness fanatic types at Richmond, the Ghost doesn’t fit into this category. In fact, he openly admits to being “allergic” to training. He has never been a big wrap for it and never will, but it’s a completely different story come Saturday.

“I’m allergic to training, but I love playing football on Saturdays,” he said.

“And I reckon I’d play for free if everyone else would too. But with training you just have to put up with it and get fit. I still don’t know why some blokes like it. I don’t like training, but it’s a different situation to playing.”

How refreshing. :cheers

Offline The Mole

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
Legend out and out

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
“A backman’s job is made a lot easier if you have forwards who are prepared to do the hard work like running, chasing, smothering and tackling.

“It puts the pressure on the opposition backmen who find it hard to deliver the ball properly to their forwards if they are under pressure. The backman has to kick the ball in a hurry, and of course doesn’t deliver it to his forwards as cleanly as he would like.

“If there is no pressure on down the ground it just makes the defender’s job so much harder and it’s hard to stop a forward who is getting the ball delivered to him properly.

into this...

While there may be many fitness fanatic types at Richmond, the Ghost doesn’t fit into this category. In fact, he openly admits to being “allergic” to training. He has never been a big wrap for it and never will, but it’s a completely different story come Saturday.

“I’m allergic to training, but I love playing football on Saturdays,” he said.

“And I reckon I’d play for free if everyone else would too. But with training you just have to put up with it and get fit. I still don’t know why some blokes like it. I don’t like training, but it’s a different situation to playing.”

How refreshing. :cheers

As a backman who never really "enjoyed" training  i can seriously relate to this.

Although turning up to training when it is not 10 C and getting colder, and dark, makes a big difference to your view on training.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »
After he retired Jimmy went back to the bush and played into his late 30s/early 40s.
I remember seeing the scores on the news and his side would totaly flog the opposition. Him and his boy ran amok together for a few years. They kicked something like 30 goals between them in one game from memory. I cant recall for sure if his lad kicked a ton, i think he did, but jimmy often did..and big tons too.

Sarah storers brother greg is a tigers man, and obviuously has fond memories of jimmy too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hitQ10uy4W4
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
I don't think we ever saw the best of Ghost, he was injury riddled for the back end of his career....
Like Roachy, we were robbed of two all time great kpp's through the 80s due to injury
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jimmy Jess
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Richo chatting with The Ghost, Jim Jess ...

http://instagr.am/p/LzDOr6uAsx/

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »
looking back,JJ was my childhood hero.

As a kid,seeing this man kick a goal from just past the center circle has been a lifetime memory and has not been surpassed by anything i have seen to date.

Was hard as nails and lept as high as the best.

I remember that game.

Everyone yelling out "kick it Jimmy".

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jimmy Jess
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
He was in good form today.

Filmed some Roar Vision and went on the podcast......and helped out Flea with whatever I'm sure illegal activities he needed.