Author Topic: 16 goals a game - Wallace.  (Read 2259 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
16 goals a game - Wallace.
« on: November 02, 2004, 12:52:34 AM »
Tigers' Wallace hopes for 16 goals a game
By Stephen Rielly
The Age
November 2, 2004

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has revealed an ambitious plan to launch an all-out attack in matches next year, which will hopefully net four goals a quarter and put an end to the club's "losing ugly" reputation.

In explaining his goal to a Tigers' coterie function last week, Wallace said he wanted his team to shoot itself out of trouble and produce a high-scoring game that, if nothing else in the short term, made for an entertaining spectacle.

To that end, he said he'd prefer Richmond getting beaten 16 goals to 18 than scrapping its way to a narrow defeat after kicking 10 or 11 goals.

For a team that has kicked 16 goals or more only six times in two years and did not do so at all this year, Wallace says his team will go after that number - 16 - every game in 2005.

"The last two years we've averaged 11 goals a game. Now, it's one thing to lose, but another to lose ugly. No one wants to lose but I'd rather lose putting on a game that was worth going along to have a look at," Wallace explained yesterday.

"When you're kicking 11 goals a game and averaging fewer than three goals a quarter, each single mistake is magnified and even one can be devastating.

"The statistics will tell you that if you kick four goals a quarter and 16 a match, you will be competitive in every game you play. Now, how soon we get there, who knows? But the nature of the game we want to play will be offensive - to kick our 16 goals a match."

This credo, last embraced by Malcolm Blight during his time at Geelong but subsequently modified by the time he reached Adelaide, is contrary to the accepted wisdom in professional team sport which holds that defences, rather than offences, win premierships.

Wallace says he understands this and, in time, hopes to "balance out" his game with a strong, adaptable back line, but argues that for now he has to make the best use of what he has to give the fans something worth turning up for.

"Then, if we're still getting beaten, because we've got a soft underbelly or our back line isn't strong enough or we haven't got enough grunt or run, well, if we're being beaten 18 goals to 16, then it's only a bit of tinkering at that point and at least you're giving your supporters something to go along and have a look at," he said.

"The other thing for us, contrary to what the statistics tell you, is that I think we've got the ability to structure up a side that can score. To kick 16 goals a game I think you need to have five players kicking 25 goals plus and I reckon we can find them. But I'm not sure that if we kick 11 that we've got the midfield or the defensive qualities at the moment to hold the opposition out.

"If we had a strong, sound defence similar to Geelong's, which is basically set in place and reliable no matter the opposition, that would be ideal because we could work on other areas, but where we're at is building the next generation before we lose (Darren) Gaspar and (Andrew) Kellaway."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/01/1099262788684.html?oneclick=true
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: 16 goals a game - Wallace.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 01:08:43 AM »
This bloke is so in-sync with what Tiger supporters having been asking for it's not funny. You can tell Wallace has definitely been listening to what we've been saying well before he officially took on the roll as our coach. He also is clearly aware what it takes to attract more memberships  :thumbsup.

I must admit I'm not the biggest fan for setting specific targets like this although Mark Williams has said he's not happy unless Port Adelaide kick 20 goals and that didn't affect them winning the flag.

The overall message of playing attractive attacking footy and trying to win games on the scoreboard is such a bloody relief after the boring crap we've put up with under Spud  :sleep. At least we now know win, lose or draw we're not going to be put to sleep.

Bring it on!  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 01:26:32 AM »
I look forward to enjoying going to the footy again. 3 years of suffocation has ended, now it's time for some excitement.
The Tigers of the early 70's were full-on attacking and it was a pleasure to watch.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 02:16:07 AM »
Whooo hooo

Looking forward to 2005 & beyond with great anticipation  ;D
I reckon even the practice games will be better than what we saw the last few years under spud  :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep. - Cant wait  :cheers

Ox

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 10:28:59 AM »
stuff you Danny Frawley! :banghead

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 02:06:27 PM »

No doubt Mr Wallace is going about it the right way. If he does what he says he wants to do, supporters that thought only coaches of the calibre of Matthews or Malthouse could fix the mess we were in are going to look pretty foolish.

I think its was Malthouse that said better to aim high and miss, than aim low and hit. At least Mr Wallace is copying a premiership coach, unlike Frawley who was copying a premiership loser like Tony Shaw.

Pity about the fake tan though. He looks like a pimp

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 10:32:29 AM »
What ?

No more "grinding out 4 quarters" ?

No more "stepping to the plate and standing shoulder to shoulder" ?

No more "I'll be happy if we lose ugly"

It can't be happening !!

IMO in order for this plan to work out we need our midfielders to kick more goals.  I can't remember Johnson kicking a goal last year.  Did he kick any ?  That's just plain embarrasing.  I don't entirely blame Johnson for this, I blame the defensive, scragging, ugly, boring  :sleep  :sleep game plan implemented by the spud.

We need our midfielders and half backs to constantly run forward from behind the play to provide lateral support to the ball carrier.  I want to see our players running and carrying and sharing the ball and by hand and attacking the forward 50 in order to create running goal opportunities.  We have all too much relied on a mark inside the 50 to score all our goals.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 01:38:45 PM »
IMO in order for this plan to work out we need our midfielders to kick more goals.  I can't remember Johnson kicking a goal last year.  Did he kick any ?  That's just plain embarrasing.  I don't entirely blame Johnson for this, I blame the defensive, scragging, ugly, boring  :sleep  :sleep game plan implemented by the spud.

Johnson kicked 3 goals 3 behinds for season 2004.

Agree HarryH not a good retrun at all. Out of our mid-field Brown was the best but I don't think you can include his 26 odd goals because he spent so much time up forward.

You really need the likes of Coughlan, Johnson, etc kicking at least 15-20 goals a season. A bloke like Tivendale on a wing should give you at least 22-30 goals. 1 goal a game is what we need from him IMO.

The lack of goals from our mid-field puts extra pressure on Richo but more importantly takes alot of pressure off the opposition who knew that the Tiger mid-field wouldn't hurt them on the scoreboard so it wasn't something they did need to counter against.

What ?

No more "grinding out 4 quarters" ?

No more "stepping to the plate and standing shoulder to shoulder" ?

No more "I'll be happy if we lose ugly"

Geez I gonna miss that  :o :rollin ::) ;D err...........not  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 01:41:46 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 01:13:36 PM »
Richmond coach Terry Wallace has revealed an ambitious plan to launch an all-out attack in matches next year, which will hopefully net four goals a quarter and put an end to the club's "losing ugly" reputation.

In explaining his goal to a Tigers' coterie function last week, Wallace said he wanted his team to shoot itself out of trouble and produce a high-scoring game that, if nothing else in the short term, made for an entertaining spectacle.

I’m all for any style of play that helps the development of players and gives spectators something to look forward to.  Coaches who try to minimise score board damage are thinking too much of themselves and not enough about the players and the game itself.

This attacking style of play can really show up a team’s strengths and weaknesses and if you have an ordinary day (or just an ordinary team :help) then things can get ugly.  As Robert Walls found out.

It’s easy to say this now, when it’s out of season but, in the long run, I think it’s better to go down this track because you can really see where things are at.  By going too defensive, it tends to hide the extent of a team’s problems and probably gives people the wrong impression, as we know.

Although, those who watch a team for long enough generally know the reality of things.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.