Author Topic: Mitch Thorp  (Read 12773 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mitch Thorp delisted by Hawthorn
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
up till now he hasnt played like a true tall forward, more like a medium forward

I know this is a bit of a 'chicken vs egg' scenario Ramps but would you say that is because he has been told to play that way or because he is only capable of playing that way?  No hidden direction with the question, just interested in your opinion.

Ramps

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »
up till now he hasnt played like a true tall forward, more like a medium forward

I know this is a bit of a 'chicken vs egg' scenario Ramps but would you say that is because he has been told to play that way or because he is only capable of playing that way?  No hidden direction with the question, just interested in your opinion.

Up till now I have thought that he isnt a key forward and certainly not a power forward, having said that, I want to see what a preseason under Hardwick does for him. Who knows, maybe he goes into the gym and emerges as a tank, that being the case, things may change. As with everything time will tell. This preseason will say alot, if we see him next year, and he hasnt put on any size, then for me he stays a 3rd tall forward. 

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
This year when I fist saw Jack, The thing that struck me was he was starting to have that mature look about him (physically that is) For his first couple of years he was just a skinny kid, but now you can see he is starting to look like a man, if you know what i mean.His body is not mature and as such it really is a big ask to expect him to be a power forward. Now as his body matures hopefully he can bulk up and take on that role. I think his attack on the ball is such he can take that role, he just needs the bulk.

I don't think its a good thing for a shinny kid to really bulk up until his body does mature. It causes problems down the track so personally I'm not disappointed to not see any bulk on him up until now.

Next year could be the make or break year for Jack. He is a smart footballer who hardly ever wastes a disposal and will kick with his left if on his left side, which makes it harder for defenders to corral him. It is obvious he doesnt kick left naturally, but must work on that, so to me that is also a good sign. He just need to get the pill a bit more more often.

I will admit at times this year he could be accused of not putting in hard enough, especially when things were not going well. In fairness to him, as a skinny kid expected to take on the role of KPF amongst that rabble, with all the poo that went on, I can understand him loosing confidence and becoming disillusioned at times.

I for one reserve any judgment on him at this stage and hope that next year he can really mature, in the body and as a footballer

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:08:30 PM by al »
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »
This year when I fist saw Jack, The thing that struck me was he was starting to have that mature look about him (physically that is) For his first couple of years he was just a skinny kid, but now you can see he is starting to look like a man, if you know what i mean.His body is not mature and as such it really is a big ask to expect him to be a power forward. Now as his body matures hopefully he can bulk up and take on that role. I think his attack on the ball is such he can take that role, he just needs the bulk.

I don't think its a good thing for a shinny kid to really bulk up until his body does mature. It causes problems down the track so personally I'm not disappointed to not see any bulk on him up until now.

Next year could be the make or break year for Jack. He is a smart footballer who hardly ever wastes a disposal and will kick with his left if on his left side, which makes it harder for defenders to corral him. It is obvious he doesnt kick left naturally, but must work on that, so to me that is also a good sign. He just need to get the pill a bit more more often.

I will admit at times this year he could be accused of not putting in hard enough, especially when things were not going well. In fairness to him, as a skinny kid expected to take on the role of KPF amongst that rabble, with all the poo that went on, I can understand him loosing confidence and becoming disillusioned at times.

I for one reserve any judgment on him at this stage and hope that next year he can really mature, in the body and as a footballer

Anybody know whta jack's current stats are?

:)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »
Anybody know whta jack's current stats are?

:)
Drafted: 192cm, 85kg
2007:    192cm, 86kg
2009:    193cm, 87kg

Games    Disposals   Marks   Tackles   G.B (total)
2007:     8           6.6           3.1       1.5          7.3
2008:    18         10.8           4.8       2.1        18.8
2009:    20         12.9           6.4       2.4        32.27

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1751

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »
Just out of curiosity OE, do you have the same stats for richo from when he stared, compared to say half way though his career and now?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
Just out of curiosity OE, do you have the same stats for richo from when he stared, compared to say half way though his career and now?

Matthew Richardson (average in brackets)
            Games    Disp              Marks              Tackles                G.B
1993:       14        165 (11.78)      92 (6.57)          5 (0.35)           31.24
1994:       19        185 (9.73)      108 (5.68)          4 (0.21)           56.40
1995:        9         115 (12.77)      60 (6.66)          6 (0.66)           27.3

Richo did his knee vs Swans in 1995.

Jack Reiwoldt (average in brackets)
            Games    Disp              Marks              Tackles                G.B
2007:        8          53 (6.62)      25 (3.12)          12 (1.5)              7.3
2008:       18        194 (10.77)    87 (4.83)          37 (2.05)           18.8
2009:       20        258 (12.9)    127 (6.35)          48 (2.4)             32.27

Pretty interesting I reckon and not as much between them as you might have thought.  A couple of points to note when looking at them - Richo has played in the forward line for a fair bit of Jack's career so Jack has had to play second fiddle somewhat.  Richo had immediate impact on the scoreboard whereas Jack is only now starting to.  Jack is much better at defensive pressure - Richo's highest tackle count for any one season is only 14 in 2007.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »
Thanks smokey, don't have richos height and weight from those early years do you?

Pushed into the fence wansn't he? seemed to be a bit of that that year.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »
Thanks smokey, don't have richos height and weight from those early years do you?

I thought he was just trying to pull up because there was only 30cm between the boundary and fence.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
You may be right. Me recollection is there was a push from a swans player, but that was many beers ago. I do remember noticing a trend amongst those bleeding maggots to help opposition over the boundary, which was very close to the fence, that year.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »

No al, best I could find was this:

"Since making his debut as a gangly 18-year-old, Richardson has added about 20 kilograms to hit the scales at
103 kilograms"

from here:

http://users.vic.chariot.net.au/~richo01/players/richardson.html

But while looking I found the list of Rising Star nominations for 1993, the year Richo was nominated.  Have a go at this for a year of 'hot' kids:

1    Peter Everitt            St Kilda              (291 games, 2 club B & F)
2    Shane Crawford            Hawthorn            (305 games, 2 club B & F, 1 Brownlow, 4 All Australian)
3    Nathan Chapman     Brisbane
4    Joe Misiti                    Essendon            (236 games)
5    Scott West                    Footscray            (324 games, 4 club B & F, 5 All Australian)
6    David Neitz            Melbourne           (306 games, 1 club B & F, 1 Coleman, 2 All Australian)
7    Nathan Buckley            Brisbane             (280 games, 6 club B & F, 1 Brownlow, 4 All Australian)
8    James Hird            Essendon            (253 games, 5 club B & F, 1 Brownlow, 5 All Australian)
9    Dustin Fletcher            Essendon            (311 games, 1 club B & F, 2 All Australian)
10    Matthew Richardson    Richmond           (276 games*, 1 club B & F, 3 All Australian)
11    Brodie Atkinson            St Kilda
12    Glenn Archer            North Melbourne  (311 games, 2 All Australian)
13    Saverio Rocca            Collingwood        (257 games, 1 club B & F)
14    Darren Kowal            Melbourne
15    Duncan Kellaway            Richmond           (180 games)
16    Mark Ricciuto            Adelaide             (312 games, 3 club B & F, 1 Brownlow, 8 All Australian)
17    Ilija Grgic                    Footscray
18    Ang Christou            Carlton               (151 games)
19    Ricky Olarenshaw    Essendon
20    Mark Mercuri            Essendon            (207 games, 1 All Australian)
21    Brad Nicholson            Footscray
22    Leigh Colbert            Geelong              (209 games)

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
 ;D I found that too smokey. If we go by that, it puts richo around the 80-85kg mark, pretty much the same as Jack. The description of a gangly kid is pretty much how i remember his early days too. So, there is a chance that Jack could fill out in the next year or two.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:41 PM »

I thought he was just trying to pull up because there was only 30cm between the boundary and fence.
You may be right. Me recollection is there was a push from a swans player, but that was many beers ago. I do remember noticing a trend amongst those bleeding maggots to help opposition over the boundary, which was very close to the fence, that year.

Now I think about it.... Did Richo break an arm at the SCG? That could be what I am thinking about.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
Now I think about it.... Did Richo break an arm at the SCG? That could be what I am thinking about.

Nope - broken arm was Adelaide - last few minutes of the game

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »
Just back on Thorp for a sec. 3aw tonight with Beva and Shaw claimed Thorp was delisted for "attitudal" reasons.