Author Topic: Where should Cambo play next year?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Where should Cambo play next year?
« on: November 03, 2004, 02:31:21 AM »
As his legs are sadly almost shot  :'( I can't see him spending much time in the midfield or even as a sweeper on a HBF. I wouldn't mind him in a forward pocket as he is his a good mark for his size and would still  have the footy smarts over most opponents. He also wouldn't have to run or get crunched as much protecting him more against further injury.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Where should Cambo play next year?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:24:34 AM »
Even though I think he could still play midfield for us (and do it rather badly) seeing how schit our midfield is, I don't think he should be asked to carry a midfield role. He has been getting bagged long enough and it's time the pressure was taken off him and put on some other passenger we have to see if they can take the heat.

Personally I would like to see him retire, but as that is unlikely, the only place he could make a go of it right now would be the forward line. 

If he is to play there, I would like to see him reinvent himself by practicing his sprints, going hardcore on the weights and coming in as more of a power athlete, with an added five kilos to his frame. He's always been quite wimpy as a midfielder, due in part to the fact that he would run all day and could do it most effectively without having to carry any extra weight.

Seeing as his long distance running won't be called into play with a forward line role, it is a perfect opportunity to put on some extra kilos and increase his explosiveness. He is fairly strong in marking contests as it is, and with a bit more strength he could really be a target up forward.

It all depends on where he sees himself though. At this stage of his career, and with us most likely being cellar dwellers again, he probably couldn't be bothered transforming himself into a different player with only one year to go before retirement. What I fear is that he will stay his wimpy self, be starved of opportunities up forward, be eventually benched for long stretches or even dropped, and call it quits mid-way through the year. A sad way to end the career of a capable player unfortunately selected to represent the club during one of its darkest periods.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 03:35:59 AM by JohnF »

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 04:19:42 AM »
forward pocket for mine, could quite handy, strong mark and reliable kick certainly contribute to wallets plan for 16 goals per game... :)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 09:26:36 AM »
I wouldn't mind him in a forward pocket as he is his a good mark for his size and would still have the footy smarts over most opponents. He also wouldn't have to run or get crunched as much protecting him more against further injury.

Personally I would like to see him retire, but as that is unlikely, the only place he could make a go of it right now would be the forward line. 

forward pocket for mine, could quite handy, strong mark and reliable kick certainly contribute to wallets plan for 16 goals per game... :)

I reckon Tezza has the wrong assistants :rollin :rollin

I've heard at a couple of functions lately the coach say that Wayne Campbell will spending a fiar bit of time up forward ;)

Good idea folks  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 10:56:27 AM »
Forward pocket.

No need to play him in the middle as it's time to get some kilometers into the young guys who will hopefully make up our core midfield in the immediate future. 

Take the pressure off him and let him enjoy his last year or 2 in the forward line kicking some goals.  Even though I have criticised him at times, he has been one of our best players in the past 10-15 years and deserves a great send off when he does retire.

In saying this, i beleive he would be pretty good in the forward line.  He is as strong mark for his size, pretty smart around the goals, and by far our most reliable kick for goals inside 40 meters.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 05:15:03 PM »
something else to take in to consideration would be his experience to help blokes like krak and co in the forward line... :thumbsup