Author Topic: Your favourite Richo memories?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Your favourite Richo memories?
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
Richo kicking 8 against the Dogs in first round of 94 at the Western Oval.

The goal he kicked on Jonathan Hay where he was tackled over the line but just got his foot in bounds to kick it through  :lol.

That speccie he took over the pack in the goalsquare in his 200th against Port at the Dome.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Re: Your favourite Richo memories?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:10:36 PM »
Richo kicking 8 against the Dogs in first round of 94 at the Western Oval.

lol, this was the day when richo learned he could run his opponent into a pack, then quickly duck back towards goal for the easy handball over the top. iirc he took a great speccy that day too and it wasn't filmed.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:58:30 PM »
The 7 he kicked on SOS in the early days, the 10 he kicked against the doggies, the 6 he kicked against the bombers when coming back from the reco and the 17 marks and 2 goals 8 he kicked against the roos a few years ago (including the winning goal). Great memories and so manymore. A pity trolls on this board like fat tone can't put the urge to troll to one side and share some positive memories of a great career. Maybe he is a Carlton supporter.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:48 PM »
Yeah the 10 against the Doggies.  The 200th game (I actually got squashed with him in a doorway after the game)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:54 PM »
The 200 th for me too as well as the Hawks game where he nearly stuffed that goal up! The game where he played a week after breaking his cheek too! Was that the infamous hands in the back game?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:26:59 AM »
Was that the infamous hands in the back game?
Dreamtime game (Round 9) 2007

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 03:35:12 AM »
Was that the infamous hands in the back game?
Dreamtime game (Round 9) 2007
The way they are umpiring that rule now and letting it go unless there's an obvious push or double movement, Richo's mark and would've been winning goal would've stood.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 07:24:06 AM »
A couple of things:

1. The staying behind after fan days and training etc to sign autographs - he always had the longest line by far, and always stayed the longest. Never wanted to leave a kid unhappy.
2. A couple of years back, playing against Freo at Subiaco. The game was dead, but still right to the end he was running all over the place. Got deep in defence to stop a couple of late Freo goals. Then to hear the crowd start chanting, and hear Gerard Healy say "There's a Richo chant at Subiaco" pretty much sums it up, no other player would ever get that sort of response on opposition turf.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 07:25:32 AM »
The game where he kicked 5 against Hawthorn including the goal when he was on the ground and his games against the bulldogs and collingwood.  

bushranger

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
I don't know if it is one moment that is my fovourite.
But I loved watching come of the half forward line and run to the goals and take the mark.
To see the big fella leave younger one's than him in his wake was just great.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
Best Memories i have

* 2008 Brownlow Medal Count. The place was erupting at the though of what could have been

* Today- The day the big man  gave the game up and put club ahead of himself
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »
l have a few

have to say the most surprising was his big mark against Collingwood which everyone thought he could not launch himself anymore

Missing a goal against the skunks from 10m out directly in front kicking on the full & getting it from the skunks supporters only to kick a ripper goal later in the game from 55 on the run on the boundry & giving it back to the skunks supporters

& the most memorable at a Grand Final breakfast nearly dropping my son & catching him by the leg before he hit the ground the look on his face & the wife  ;D priceless

So many great high contested marks is what l will remember & a odd side step. Not forgetting some freak goals

The $800+ l paid for the door with a huge Richo on it  ;D priceless now

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »
It was a Friday night against North - he's taken about 15 marks but couldn't kick straight  ;D Final quarter the Roos I think hit the front, we managed to get back in front. Richo marked just our from the goal square. He lines up... people have heads in hands, can't bear to watch  and he....................slams it through .. Tigers up by 2 kicks.... WE WON

But probably the game against the Dons the week he played with the smashed checkbone (had surgery on the SUnday played the following Saturday)- the most courageous thing I've ever seen.. think it was the game with the notorius "hands in the back" free...

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Your favourite Ricoh memories?
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »
Many of my favorite Richo memories have already been mentioned but I will add a few more to the mix.

* That Monday night game against the Roos in 95....Richo took a Screamer in the 3rd Quarter.(I remember thinking at the time that this guy was going to win us a premiership)

* The night he kicked 6 goals on Ashley McIntosh back in 1999.

* That goal he kicked after the 3/4 siren (from the boundry line) vs Essendon rd 22 2001.(A spot in the top 4 was on the line)

I will miss the way Richo got so pumped up after kicking a big goal....He was OUR super star.
Unleash the tornado

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 07:30:12 PM »
I also remember a purple match of form he had in the middle rounds of 1999 where he was carrying the side basically singlehandedly. Arguably the best player in the comp. during those winter months that year. Opposition coaches had to drag him outside 50 and away from the goals he was marking everything that came his way. Even then he kept getting a tonne of footy but we didn't have anyone for Richo then to kick to to finish off his dominance. The story of his career really. The side built around him was nowhere good enough to make the most of his talent and athleticism  :(.

But probably the game against the Dons the week he played with the smashed checkbone (had surgery on the SUnday played the following Saturday)- the most courageous thing I've ever seen.. think it was the game with the notorius "hands in the back" free...
Yep WP it was the "hands in the back" game. Gutsy as by the big fella to even play and he was ripped off.