Author Topic: Emma Quayle's Top 25 draftees (Age)  (Read 6947 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Emma Quayle's Top 25 draftees (Age)
« on: November 22, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »
High-flyers of the class of '09
Emma Quayle | November 22, 2009

HAVING compiled this list three times now, lessons have been learnt. First, you can watch a player too much. Second, every player has fl aws and it's easy to become hung up on one perceived problem area.

Stephen Hill and Daniel Rich were probably ranked too low on my 2008 list, although there's no one rated above them that I'd be looking to move, but Michael Hurley at 13? Ouch. I was a big fan this time last year, loved his long kicking and ability to read the play, but wondered if he had enough pace off the mark to keep up with fast-leading forwards. Hurley doesn't have great pace, but it hasn't yet been exposed - maybe it will be in time, perhaps it won't. Regardless, his many other abilities combined to make his first season a very good one and I learnt not to overthink things. Hurley aside, I think my 2008 list looks OK.

This is a difficult exercise because you constantly look through the list and realise you have a player too far down the order. You think, ‘No, that's not right', move them, then go through the exact same process with another.

Apologies this year to South Australian pair Matthew Panos and James Craig, West Australians Mitch Duncan, Gerrick Weedon and Travis Colyer, as well as midfielders Josh Thomas, Allen Christensen and Anthony Long, and Geelong defender Joe Dare. And to Luke Ball, who I decided not to include given the purpose of this exercise is largely to introduce the young players. Remember, these are my personal thoughts on this year's group, not a mock draft or a list of where I think players will be picked. It's based on watching the players live, trawling through tapes and talking to them and the people who know them well. Let's wait three years and see how it looks.

1. JACK TRENGOVE (18, Sturt, 185cm, 84kg)
I have no idea how the Demons would have split Trengove and Scully had Jordan McMahon not delivered them a priority pick with his postsiren goal for a four-point Richmond win in round 18. I've spent the past week changing my mind repeatedly, but in the end I believe Trengove has it all: he's quick enough, his endurance is top notch and, more importantly, he is already a smart runner, who knows exactly where he needs to be. Watching his under-18 games with South Australia, you'd sometimes think, ‘Who laid that block? Who trapped that ball?' More often than not, it would have been him. He stays involved in the play and has a great feel for what's going on. He's at No. 1 mostly on gut feel and also because he's such a good mark. He could go forward in the last quarter, take a few marks out of the square and kick a few crunch goals.

2. TOM SCULLY (18, Dandenong Stingrays, 182cm, 77kg)
Scully runs harder, for longer and with more purpose than any other player in the draft. He already plays like an AFL player. He has quick, brilliant hands, he makes good decisions and he makes them the instant his hands touch the ball, which makes him so good in close. He makes his teammates better players because he puts them in ideal situations. He'll grind opponents out of games, yet his pace looks fine, as does his kicking. He is a megaprofessional, a perfectionist. He'll get the absolute most out of himself from day one of training and has a nice bit of steel to his personality.

3. DUSTIN MARTIN (18, Bendigo Pioneers, 186cm, 88kg)
Meet Martin and you feel you're talking to someone in his 30s. He's an adult – likeable, but hard-nosed and very strong-minded, which comes through in his footy. He keeps his feet and stays upright - with his eyes up - when tackled, allowing him to squeeze the ball out to sensible spots while being grabbed. He'll just have to figure out how much time he's got to get rid of it at the higher level, and do his share of the tackling. In space, he's a beautiful kick on both sides and able to slip forward and take a mark. Martin has only had one year in the TAC Cup system, has plenty of scope and will love being a full-time footballer.

4. GARY ROHAN (18, Geelong Falcons, 188cm, 82kg)
Watching Rohan play, you sometimes feel you want to cover your eyes. He'll hurl himself into a mark, turn, take off and you have no clue what's going to happen next. He's the most exhilarating player in the pool. He does many things at once and while he makes some errors, he can disrupt the rhythm of a game. He doesn't win huge possessions, but he has the ability to stress out other players by chasing them, causing turnovers. He's coming from a long way back - he played for Cobden last year and trained only one night a week with the Falcons this year - but you get the sense he'll fl ourish once he gets into an AFL club and starts to understand how good he could be.

5. JOHN BUTCHER (18, Gippsland Power, 197cm, 87kg)
Butcher takes pack marks, is a speedy lead and draws multiple opponents. He had hip surgery last December and didn't get in a huge pre-season, which surely affected him in his second year in the under-18s. His kicking action needs work, but this is as far as I want to let him drop. He'll start work on his kick every single day once he gets to his new club and while he missed a lot of shots this year, he also had about 70 of them. If he doesn't mark the ball, his opponent generally doesn't either, and natural forwards who take contested marks don't come around often.

6. JAKE MELKSHAM (18, Calder Cannons, 185cm, 75kg)
After a slow start to the season, Melksham fl ew home. He's quick enough, once he gets wound up, and always on the move. He can reach in and wrench the ball out of tight spots, keep it moving as he slides through packs and uses it well when it's fed his way. Some of his kicking is weighted so well that it makes life a lot easier for his forwards. He can also throw in a nice, well-timed mark or two, getting good height off a minimal run-up.

7. BEN CUNNINGTON (18, Geelong Falcons, 185cm, 84kg)
Supporters will adore Cunnington as soon as they see him. He's tough, will do anything for his team and while he perhaps doesn't have the polish of some of the other midfielders, his skills are fine and his determination to a) not let anyone beat him to the ball and b) tackle, chase, smother and shepherd add another layer to his CV. His marking is another big plus. He reads the play well as a forward and is a strong overhead mark, even when opponents are right on his hammer - in fact, especially when opponents are on his hammer. Dedicated, determined and a safe bet.

8. JASPER McMILLAN-PITTARD (18, Geelong Falcons, 186cm, 71kg)
At first glance, Jasper looks like a scrawny half-back fl anker. He is a scrawny half-back fl anker. But the way I see it, he has every ability required to play AFL footy, minus seven or eight kilograms. He's a smooth, smart, switched-on player who can get up onto the wings and deliver nice left-foot passes. Some added size will make his spoiling ability even more valuable, and Jasper thinks a split-second faster than those around him. It's like he instinctively knows where everyone is, what they're doing and what they're most likely to do next, allowing him to find ways past and around them. He's a favourite.

9. ANTHONY MORABITO (18, Peel Thunder, 191cm, 97kg)
Big, fast, powerful and able to leap buildings in a single bound. Morabito plays like he's wearing jet-powered boots, such is his pace and ability to change gear. Like Rohan, he's exciting to watch when he snatches the ball and bolts off with it. Again, he can make mistakes and try to do too much, but at his height and with his speed, playing on a wing, he could prove very tricky to match up. I hope I don't have him too low.

10. CALLUM BARTLETT (18, Geelong Falcons, 179cm, 75kg)
Bartlett hasn't played this season due to a knee reconstruction after tearing an ACL at training ahead of round one. It's tough to say where he'll get drafted – he could go anywhere between 17 and 30, perhaps – but his rehab has gone well and he will be well worth the risk. He is incredibly quick and a bold, catch-me-if-youcan type runner. He knows exactly where he wants to go. There are a lot of unobtrusive midfield types in this draft, but he's not one of them.

11. LEWIS JETTA (20, Swan Districts, 181cm, 69kg)
Jetta is vibrant, skilful and quick, quick, quick. Don't think of him as a small forward - he may start there, but he's an Andrew Lovett-style midfi elder who fl ashes past fl ailing arms as he zooms, bouncing, down the ground. He knows where he needs to be to cause damage, and can do some freaky things.

12. AARON BLACK (18, Peel Thunder, 192cm, 82kg)
Black is a late-ish bloomer, finding form through the middle of the year after missing the WA under-18 championship team and making his senior WAFL debut by the end of the season. While I would have liked to have seen more of him, I've seen enough to feel confident placing him here. He can haul in marks when he seems in an awkward position and is a lightfooted, nimble player who can take off for a run, pluck loose balls off the ground and cover plenty of ground.

13. DANIEL TALIA (18, Calder Cannons, 194kg, 90kg)
Talia looks like he could legitimately play at either end. As a key back, he has a calm, assured air about him, yet at the same time has plenty of energy and bounce. He takes a crisp mark yet stays involved when the ball is on the ground. He reads it off hands well, which makes him handy around bounces and throw-ins. His season ended early due to hamstring tendonitis, but he's ready now to train again.

14. ANDREW MOORE (18, Eastern Ranges, 189cm, 86kg)
Where will Moore end up playing - that's my question? Half-forward or half-back look the go, or perhaps the midfield. Whatever the case, he is one of the smartest in this draft. He generally takes the best option and can adapt to changing roles on the run. He's tough, skilful and and his marking is so clean. You can almost hear the ball clunking into his hands from the stands.

15. TROY TAYLOR (18, NT Thunder, 189cm, 77kg)
Taylor has some special talent. He's quick, can scoop up ground balls swiftly and make good decisions while doing so. He's got the sidestep and the leap, he can outmark players he looks too short to outmark and he has an absolute eye for the impossible goal. He's good fun to watch. After getting into some serious trouble as a kid in Darwin, he has things together and has a great opportunity ahead of him. Once he starts to understand what he could achieve, he could be anything.

16. BRAD SHEPPARD (18, East Fremantle, 186cm, 81kg)
Will Sheppard be a half-back fl anker at AFL level, or push into the midfi eld? That's probably the biggest question about him. He is a neat, sleek, smart player who can get things going while in space, yet at the same time relishes the chance to back back and spoil. His teammates seem confident in him - throughout the national under-18s championships they often looked for him as they pushed into attack from half-back.

17. RYAN BASTINAC (18, Dandenong Stingrays, 184cm, 77kg)
Bastinac is one of the best kicks in the draft and another good-at-everything type. He wins plenty of the ball in close and that, combined with his vision, foot skills and willingness to tackle makes him a solid midfield prospect. He'll run, run and run, he's a willing tackler and a sensible player who thinks things through.

18. KANE LUCAS (18, East Fremantle, 187cm, 79kg)
Lucas, like a few onballers in this draft, doesn't have one clear, eye-catching quality that forces you to notice him. He's simply a solid player - if an inconsistent kick - with good pace, great endurance, a good leap, and pretty good hands. He has great balance and can slip and slide through busy packs, spin off players and involve himself two or three times in a single piece of play. A great attitude, from all reports.

19. KOBY STEVENS (18, Gippsland Power, 187cm, 84kg)
Stevens is a ferocious midfielder who will give you everything he has. He can be an unobtrusive player and sometimes you only appreciate his tackles, blocks and extra efforts after re-watching a game. He loves to punch out a handball and he can sit his kicks up, but someone needs to get the ball and Stevens always takes it on himself to do so. He's on the way back from osteitis pubis and has shown plenty of leadership potential.

20. JORDAN GYSBERTS (18, Eastern Ranges, 189cm, 82kg)
Like Stevens, Lucas and a few others this year, Gysberts plays a subtle game that at times you don't take in properly while it's unfolding. I'm a big fan and love how he tries to look after his teammates by grabbing the ball and feeding off quick handballs to set them into space. Sometimes I want to see him assert himself a little bit more - perhaps be a little less generous - but maybe that's too picky.

21. BEN GRIFFITHS (18, Eastern Ranges, 199cm, 98kg)
Griffiths is a beast - a very big, very strong, imposing key forward - and those types aren't common. The problem is he'll do things that make you think “wow” - take a big contested mark, kick a thumping goal - then get injured in the very next minute. He'll have a shoulder reconstruction this week and that's the query: will he be fixed for good, or take ages to get his body going?

22. NATHAN VARDY (18, Gippsland Power, 198cm, 94kg)
There aren't too many ruckmen around this year, but Vardy is the pick of them. He seems to get some good hang time, almost creating time during a ruck contest to place the ball right where he wants it to go. He's quick and agile enough to become useful around the ground - he seems to want the footy - and he can pluck a nice mark.

23. LUKE TAPSCOTT (18, North Adelaide, 180cm, 87kg)
Tapscott is a strong-bodied, crashbang midfield/forward who perhaps boasts the best kick in the draft. I'm worried already that I have him too low, but I probably see others as more ready-to-go in a midfield role. That said, he's a player you couldn't allow too much space around the top of the 50, because he'll kick thumping goals.

24. JAKE CARLISLE (18, Calder Cannons, 197cm, 87kg)
Carlisle is another to have shown promise at both ends of the ground. He's a nimble, stretchy sort of player who leaps, lunges and seems to relish the small contests-withincontests, like getting to the front of his man or making a spoil when he looks a step too far away. Played cricket seriously until recently.

25. SAM REID (18, Murray Bushrangers, 194cm, 87kg)
Reid gets in a smidgen ahead of North Adelaide ruckman James Craig, who has a big leap and lots of oomph. Reid, the brother of Collingwood player Ben, does his job in quieter style, but goes for his marks if they're there and seems diligent and fairly calm, which I like in a defender. He has the speed and endurance to do those things at a higher level.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/highflyers-of-the-class-of-09/2009/11/21/1258220012622.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Emma Quayle's Top 25 draftees (Age)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:10 AM »
Out of interest here's her top 25 from the past couple of years .......

2007                                       2008

1. Trent Cotchin (2)                   1. Jack Watts (1)
2. Matthew Kreuzer (1)              2. Chris Yarran (6)
3. Cale Morton (4)                     3. Nick Naitanui (2)
4. David Myers (6)                     4. Jackson Trengove (22)
5. Jarrad Grant (5)                     5. Tyrone Vickery (8 )
6. Cyril Rioli (12)                       6. Hamish Hartlett (4)
7. Alex Rance (18 )                    7. Tom Swift (20)
8. Patrick Dangerfield (10)          8. Ayce Cordy (14 - F/S)
9. Chris Masten (3)                    9. Daniel Rich (7)
10. Brad Ebert (13)                    10. Steele Sidebottom (11)
11. Ben McEvoy (9)                    11. Jack Ziebell (9)
12. Rhys Palmer (7)                   12. Stephen Hill (3)
13. Jack Grimes (14)                  13. Michael Hurley (5)
14. Lachlan Henderson (8 )         14. Sam Blease (17)
15. Patrick Veszpremi (11)          15. Nick Suban (24)
16. Tayte Pears (23)                  16. Michael Walters (53)
17. Tom Collier (25)                  17. Phil Davis (10)
18. Scott Selwood (22)              18. Lewis Johnston (12)
19. Tony Notte (20)                  19. Mitch Brown (15)
20. Addam Maric (21)                20. Shaun McKernan (28 )
21. Callan Ward (19)                 21. Dayne Beams (29)
22. Brendan Whitecross (29)      22. Jordan Lisle (50)
23. Tom McNamara (66)            23. Ashley Smith (36)
24. Levi Greenwood (32)           24. Ryan Schoenmakers (16)
25. Mitch Farmer (49)                25. Casey Sibosado (rookie 3)

Missed from actual draft top 25:
Robbie Tarrant (15)                   Tom Lynch (13)
Matthew Lobbe (16)                  Luke Shuey (18 )
Harry Taylor (17)                      James Strauss (19)
Clayton Hinkley (24)                 Hayden Ballantyne (21)
                                             David Zaharakis (23)
                                             Jack Redden (25)

2007 link
2008 link
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:06:31 AM by one-eyed »

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »
Butcher will drop at #3  ;D

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:27:45 AM »
Wheres Warwick McGinty  :lol

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »

We would like like complete idiots to select him at 3, can't happen, we need to take the next best player and that is Martin... ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
Emma Quayle on SEN now for the next hour (from 5.30pm)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »
First half-hour summary

* Scully and Trengove by far the best 2 in the draft.

* Josh Cowan - not in first 30-40 but a chance after that. There you go Ramps.

* Carlton's pick 12 - JMP, Black or Talia. Tricky to judge around the top 10 mark. Even the clubs aren't sure which way it'll go.

* Richmond's pick 19:
Might miss out on Andrew Moore. Very popular with other clubs - Dogs, Blues, Crows and a couple of others.

Wait and see on whether we go KPP or midfielder. Some midfielder has to be squeezed down the order and may be too good to refuse. Griffiths could get through to 19 although he could be snapped up earlier. Carlisle is another one who could still be around. Like Rance there's always someone who against expectations slips down the order.

* Bulldogs' pick 15 - she thinks Griffiths would be a good fit for the Dogs. They can afford the time to get his shoulder right. Kane Lucas possibly too good to refuse if still around.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 06:42:09 PM »
Second half-hour....

* Hawks were very keen on Dean Putt before the 2007 draft. So he may get a second shot.

* Josh Donaldson - she thinks he can play. Difficult to judge where he'll go. Some clubs rate him and some don't. Could be a late pick if a club that likes him has a late pick and no one else they're interested in still around or he could miss out. Never experienced a year where clubs are so split in opinion of players.

* Melbourne's picks 11 and 18 - gut feel they won't pick Luke Ball and she doesn't believe they should either. At 11 possibly Black, Talia or a mid in Lucas and then go tall at 18. Who the Dees take at 18 will depend on who they get at 11. Tim Hazel who is also on SEN tonight said the Dees should go for Ball as they need a leader.

* Freo's pick 4 - It was out of Morabito, Cunnington and Rohan but have settled at the end of last week on Morabito she believes.

* John Butcher - harshly judged. She rates him.

* Serhat Temel - hasn't got the athletic qualities to be a high pick but is a good mark and kicked a bag of goals in the TAC Cup finals. Will be picked up but later on.

* Jake Carlisle - late first round/early 2nd round. Got some back problems which clubs are checking into.

* Luke Ball is the wildcard. Do Essendon grab him at 10, Melbourne at 11/18, etc. Apart from him interest will be more in how many state league players get picked up rather than recycled players.

* West Coast are keen on Gerrick Weedon possibly at 23. Eagles still split on taking Jetta or Lucas at 7.

* Western Jets - Fitzpatrick (will definitely be drafted), Majak Daw (maybe or rookie), Rayner.

* Emma's current top 10 as tipped to be drafted (still work in progress)

1. Melb - Scully/Trengove
2. Melb - Trengove/Scully               
3. Rich - Martin             
4. Freo - Morabito         
5. North - Cunnington
6. Syd - Rohan
7. WCE - Jetta
8. Port - Butcher/Talia
9. Port - Melksham
10. Ess - Moore/Stevens (Talia or Butcher if still around)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »
Second half-hour....

* Hawks were very keen on Dean Putt before the 2007 draft. So he may get a second shot.

* Josh Donaldson - she thinks he can play. Difficult to judge where he'll go. Some clubs rate him and some don't. Could be a late pick if a club that likes him has a late pick and no one else they're interested in still around or he could miss out. Never experienced a year where clubs are so split in opinion of players.

* Melbourne's picks 11 and 18 - gut feel they won't pick Luke Ball and she doesn't believe they should either. At 11 possibly Black, Talia or a mid in Lucas and then go tall at 18. Who the Dees take at 18 will depend on who they get at 11. Tim Hazel who is also on SEN tonight said the Dees should go for Ball as they need a leader.

* Freo's pick 4 - It was out of Morabito, Cunnington and Rohan but have settled at the end of last week on Morabito she believes.

* John Butcher - harshly judged. She rates him.

* Serhat Temel - hasn't got the athletic qualities to be a high pick but is a good mark and kicked a bag of goals in the TAC Cup finals. Will be picked up but later on.

* Jake Carlisle - late first round/early 2nd round. Got some back problems which clubs are checking into.

* Luke Ball is the wildcard. Do Essendon grab him at 10, Melbourne at 11/18, etc. Apart from him interest will be more in how many state league players get picked up rather than recycled players.

* West Coast are keen on Gerrick Weedon possibly at 23. Eagles still split on taking Jetta or Lucas at 7.

* Western Jets - Fitzpatrick (will definitely be drafted), Majak Daw (maybe or rookie), Rayner.

* Emma's current top 10 as tipped to be drafted (still work in progress)

1. Melb - Scully/Trengove
2. Melb - Trengove/Scully               
3. Rich - Martin             
4. Freo - Morabito         
5. North - Cunnington
6. Syd - Rohan
7. WCE - Jetta
8. Port - Butcher/Talia
9. Port - Melksham
10. Ess - Moore/Stevens (Talia or Butcher if still around)
Her comments regarding Putt were interesting. Said she sat in on some Hawthorn meetings in 2007 when he was discussed. Putt to Hawthorn and Shultze to port will be interesting to watch, could highlight that our problem has not so much been the players we draft, but the ability to develop them. Time will tell.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »
Thanks for the reports OE, very good... :thumbsup

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 05:57:41 AM »
Emma Quayle's view on Ben Griffiths ....

Griffiths could be better than them all but you're right, might take him 2 years to play. A really hard one for the recruiters!

Shows how much the recruiters have to consider. can they wait for him? if HE has more setbacks how does he handle that? tough job

http://twitter.com/emmasq

Tigermonk

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:38:20 AM »

We would like like complete idiots to select him at 3, can't happen, we need to take the next best player and that is Martin... ;D

Your qualified to call people idiots  :rollin
How can you say Martin is the next best player ?   :lol you must watch all his games from WA  :lol
l doubt that very much in fact l doubt they have much about TAC in your state on TV or newspaper so that leaves google for you  ;D

Dont be fooled with Butcher draft camp results as he was 50% & dont judge his kicking from the WGLVFL Grand Final cause the wind that day was terrible which wrecked a few GF's in the area. The fact he won the ball so many times in those conditions was a great effort for the big lad. l consider him a top 3 draft choice & could even be taken at #1 or 2 with Melbourne interest throughout the season.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »

Your qualified to call people idiots  :rollin
How can you say Martin is the next best player ?   :lol you must watch all his games from WA  :lol

Actually after your comments asking me how I can say Martin is the next best player have qualified me to call YOU and idiot!! 99.9% of people, the experts and the whole AFL community say that he is the next best player and will go at 3, they are also saying that the Tigers have locked him in already. So go figure!! Lets wait until draft day shall we just to see if the RFC have the brains like the rest of the AFL teams to select the first best player they come accross.

"Rucks:

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
TM Butcher is to big of a risk.

We're not in a position to have a pick 3 backfire.

Martin is a very very good player. Butcher may have a longer potential bar. But Martin has more certainty.

If we had pick 6 or 7 I'd be fine with going for Butcher but pick 3 you have to go with sure bets.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »
Emma Quayle's blog at midday today

http://blogs.theage.com.au/realfooty/archives/2009/11/live_blog_emmas.html?page=fullpage#comments

EQ on Martin going to the Tigers: "I am 99.9% sure he'll be there next year!"

EQ: "Griffiths is one of the most fascinating players in the draft. On talent he looks a first round pick given everyone would love a big key forward but his injuries make things interesting. He's having a shoulder reconstruction this week. The recruiters will be trying to figure out with the help of their medical staff how his body will hold up long-term, which obviously is difficult to predict. They'll also be looking pretty hard at his character - if he does take a year to get his body right, how will he cope with that? And is the club in a position where they can carry him on their list for a while and allow him to get himself right a la North and Robbie Tarrant? I think the Bulldogs are a chance to pick him first round, but after that he could go anywhere from the start of the second round through to their second choice at 31."