Author Topic: Matt Burgan's Phantom Draft  (Read 3861 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matt Burgan's Phantom Draft
« on: November 24, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
On Wednesday (tomorrow) morning at 10am AEDT, Matt Burgan's Phantom Draft will be available on afl.com.au.

And after you have had time to digest the order in its entirety, come back to afl.com.au at noon when you'll have the chance to chat with Burgan about his selections and the reasoning behind them.

He'll be on hand between 12pm and 1pm (AEDT) to answer your questions.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87333/default.aspx

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Matt Burgan's Phantom Draft
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
3 - RICHMOND - Dustin Martin
DOB: 26/06/91, Height: 187cm, Weight: 86kgRecruited from: Castlemaine/Bendigo Pioneers (VIC)Draft range: 3
Meet Dustin Martin

Mark down this pick as the draft's cast-iron certainty. The Tigers have made no secret about their desire to recruit Martin, an attacking onballer who was All-Australian and averaged 25 disposals per match in the TAC Cup this year. Players with strong foot skills are a draft priority for Richmond, and Martin ranked equal second in the inaugural kicking test at this year's draft camp. With former top-three draft picks Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin on board, the Tigers will soon have three class midfielders under the age of 23.

19 - RICHMOND - Luke Tapscott
DOB: 28/06/91, Height: 180cm, Weight: 86kg
Recruited from: Orroroo/North Adelaide (SA)
Draft range: 8-24
Meet Luke Tapscott

Richmond won't find many players with better foot skills than Tapscott. The powerfully-built midfielder/forward has been compared to Lion Daniel Rich and is widely acknowledged as the best kick in the draft, capable of thumping the ball more than 60 metres. The Tigers are massive fans of the 2009 All-Australian, but would also consider talls Jake Carlisle and Ben Griffiths, and the pacy Ryan Bastinac. Tapscott has strong hands, ball-winning ability and is fierce at the ball.

35 - RICHMOND - Ayden Kennedy
DOB: 31/10/91, Height: 192cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from: Wantirna South/Eastern Ranges (VIC)
Draft range: 24-41
Meet Ayden Kennedy

Kennedy was the quickest player at draft camp, running 20m in 2.88 seconds, and has since risen up the pecking order. With the retirement of superstar Matthew Richardson, Jay Schulz traded and Cleve Hughes delisted, the Tigers are looking to add personnel in attack and they are very keen on the athletic tall forward, who can also play down back. Kennedy will also be looked at in the 20s, with Essendon, North Melbourne and Adelaide all expressing interest.

44 - RICHMOND - Jamie Macmillan
DOB: 29/09/91, Height: 188cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from: Scotch College/Oakleigh Chargers (VIC)
Draft range: 25-51
Meet Jamie Macmillan

The Tigers are understood to have Macmillan right in their plans, given that he suits a flanker/midfield need they are targeting. The Kangaroos will also be monitoring him closely, as they are strong admirers. Along with his flexibility, pace and clean hands, Macmillan's strongest attribute is his decision-making. One recruiter says he is freakish in that area. He is also a talented cricketer.

51 - RICHMOND - Joshua Cowan
DOB: 16/03/91, Height: 184cm, Weight: 72kg
Recruited from: Daylesford/North Ballarat Rebels (VIC)
Draft range: 29-85
Meet Joshua Cowan

A smart run-and-carry wingman/half-back, Cowan is composed and a fine reader of play. He has excellent endurance and fits Richmond's kicking bill, averaging 20 disposals at an efficiency rate of 78 per cent in the TAC Cup this year. Adelaide, Hawthorn and Collingwood have definitely shown interest.

67 - RICHMOND - Brayden Norris
DOB: 27/11/91, Height: 186cm, Weight: 69kg
Recruited from: Alexandra/Murray Bushrangers (VIC)
Draft range: 44-71
Meet Brayden Norris

Norris' elite performances at draft camp helped promote his chances considerably. He equalled the beep test record held by Swan Jarrad McVeigh, achieving level 15.6. Norris also ran the 3km time-trial in 10.05 minutes. Richmond is looking to add to its attack and the hard-running forward is definitely in its thinking. His athleticism has also attracted the interest of Adelaide.

71 - RICHMOND - David Astbury
DOB: 26/02/91, Height: 195cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from: Tatyoon/North Ballarat Rebels (VIC)
Draft range: 50-rookie
Meet David Astbury

Astbury is a lead-up forward/key defender with strong foot skills - he was ranked among the top-10 in the kicking test at draft camp - putting him right in Richmond's calculations. He also possesses a strong work rate and good endurance for his size. Melbourne and St Kilda have also been mooted as possible destinations. North Ballarat Rooster Myles Sewell, Murray Bushranger Taylor Duryea and Northern Territory's Deon Gordon have also been linked with the Tigers.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »
Norris is to small - weight wise and we have to many of them as well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:54:21 AM by Ramps »

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Would love to pick up Tapscott at 19. Prefer him than Griffiths.
Go Tigers!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 10:52:05 AM »
i would like Richmond to draft Temel!

with one of their late picks!

why are we interested in Hooper who is not all their in the mind?

:)

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »

In my opinion Temel is a VFL standard player.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:26 AM »

In my opinion Temel is a VFL standard player.

i just think we need at least two genuine Full Forwards, and Temel is that.

however Ben Griffiths (who you drafted Ramps) i would like to have at Pick 19.

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 11:14:27 AM »
Burgatrons draft isnt all that bad for us. I am against taking Norris because he just has got any weight on him. Id take a key position forward at this pick.

Also on the Tapscott selection, I can see what people are saying but there are 2 questions I need answering 1) Is he slow? because he does seem to lack a yard or two of pace and 2) Is he carrying to much weight?

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 11:39:49 AM »
Burgatrons draft isnt all that bad for us. I am against taking Norris because he just has got any weight on him. Id take a key position forward at this pick.

Also on the Tapscott selection, I can see what people are saying but there are 2 questions I need answering 1) Is he slow? because he does seem to lack a yard or two of pace and 2) Is he carrying to much weight?

agree with Norris, that is why Temel at Norris's pick i would take.

i just watched Tapscott's youtube footage and good questions Ramps.

i think he may be a little slow, and the weight issue is not such a problem.

he can lose that with a good pre-season under Hardwick.

could Bastinic be our Pick 19?

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »

Quite possibly Ramps.

These things are the easiest to work on, some engine improvement and getting some legs into him will take 2 pre seasons max.

His kicking skills are much advanced and knows how to find the ball against his best peers. Double Ticks from me.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »
Some Richmond related comments from Burgan in his live chat today on the AFL site.....

Matt Burgan:
I believe Richmond's priorites in this draft are these - players who can kick and some midfielders/flankers types. But kicking is understood to be at the top of the tree. They will look at a tall in the mix. Carlisle could be the one if he falls through or Griffiths at No.19. But Tapscott is now likely to fall through at No.19 and he is the best kick in the draft and the Tigers are massive fans of his.

Matt Burgan:
Hi Andy, I can confirm I had Bastinac at Richmond at No.19 about two to three weeks ago, but I believe Tapscott or Carlisle will slide through and they will be preferred. North Melbourne is also massive fans at No.21. But I expect one of the rated top 20 players to slide through to West Coast at No.22 and I believe they will take that player - Bastinac, Carlisle, Stevens are in that mix.

Matt Burgan:
I believe Myles Sewell will be on an AFL list in 2010, but I suspect he will be claimed as a rookie. Brad came via the rookie draft and now an outstanding AFL player. He has been linked with Richmond and St Kilda late, so he is a chance.

Matt Burgan:
I believe Beams is a chance late, particualrly after Danye's excellent first year. I have heard Richmond as a possibility late and Collingwood. But most believed he was more of a rookie chance.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/nabafldraft/phantomdraftlivechatmattburgan/tabid/15437/default.aspx

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »
Looking at our list, it seems that we need more talls than Burgan has selected for us.  He only named, what, two talls?  Didn't we just delist six and Richo makes seven?  I can't see Simmo making it past next year.  I would have thought we would be looking at 3 or 4 talls in this draft.

Am I way off-beam here?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
How close has Burgan been with our picks in his past phantom drafts? Would need to check.

Ignoring needs (more talls) it's not the worst outcome going around. Norris and Cowan I would pass. Too light and would need years attempting to put weight on just to get it up to the level required for AFL.

If Burgan is right it looks like we are planning to cement our midfield for the future using this draft. Adding Martin, Tapscott and a couple of other young mids to Lids, Cotch and Foley with support from Blingers, Collins, Connors with Jacko as tagger. Basically 10-11 mids to build around. It won't help our structure though as we need talls especially up forward as well. Will there be a gun big key forward at pick 4 next year?

On the phantom draft overall, this year's draft is not looking so bad for depth given the doomsday predictions. Looks like there a decent kids to be found late in the draft for a Club that has done its homework. Let's hope for a change Richmond is one of them  :pray.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
agree that we had too many midsized players in that mock.  taking out one of the like norris for Temel would be a smart move. 

Getting astbury at such a late pick would be awesome!!!

possibly reserve the PSD for the best young tall left such as tom hill or casboult or even mitch thorp.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »
I think Burgo is way off the mark.
Not sure about what we are doing but i do know for a fact West Coast will pick Jesse Crichton  at 23.

The only reason i say this is i dont give a rats about the Eagles and i know for a fact. ;)