Author Topic: Matt Dea [merged]  (Read 140031 times)

the claw

Re: Matt Dea [merged]
« Reply #1095 on: June 11, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »
as a person who has always valued very highly 2nd and 3rd round picks i was angry when we drafted him.
late to footy baskeyball ground with some catching up to do. to me shoulkd have been a late nd pick or rookie pick.

got into some pretty heated debates with a very astute poster who insisted he was well worth the risk. so i stopped arguing and went and found every single thing i could on matty dea.

what i found convinced me he was worth taking i still wasnt sure it should have been pick 44. but at least i was prepared to give him some time and watched him as closely as i could.

for me hes shown more and more glimpses mixed in with injury and very poor form, but he ws going to take a little time.

for me this yr remains make or break for him i cant say if he will make it or not but the signs are good and those glimpses are becoming consistent. hope he makes it but he still has plenty to prove to show that he has.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1096 on: June 11, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
Coming along very nicely is matty dea Ty  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1097 on: June 11, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »
as a person who has always valued very highly 2nd and 3rd round picks i was angry when we drafted him.
late to footy baskeyball ground with some catching up to do. to me shoulkd have been a late nd pick or rookie pick.

got into some pretty heated debates with a very astute poster who insisted he was well worth the risk. so i stopped arguing and went and found every single thing i could on matty dea.

what i found convinced me he was worth taking i still wasnt sure it should have been pick 44. but at least i was prepared to give him some time and watched him as closely as i could.

for me hes shown more and more glimpses mixed in with injury and very poor form, but he ws going to take a little time.

for me this yr remains make or break for him i cant say if he will make it or not but the signs are good and those glimpses are becoming consistent. hope he makes it but he still has plenty to prove to show that he has.
From what I've heard two teams would have taken him before our pick at 50 or 51 (whatever it was) It's a shame he's been injured. I'm waiting for him to be dropped for Newy soon.

the claw

« Reply #1098 on: June 12, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »

From what I've heard two teams would have taken him before our pick at 50 or 51 (whatever it was) It's a shame he's been injured. I'm waiting for him to be dropped for Newy soon.
it seems just about every draft i hear this dribble. oh we took so ans here because it was thought  this club or that club would take him in front of us.

what the hell sort of process is that. we take him at 44 when we probably rate him to go later. imo worrying about what other clubs may or may not do on draft day is not the way to go.

do your homework rate each player and take em accordingly. how many players have we reached for under jackson that we know of? too many id say.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1099 on: June 12, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »

it seems just about every draft i hear this dribble. oh we took so ans here because it was thought  this club or that club would take him in front of us.

what the hell sort of process is that. we take him at 44 when we probably rate him to go later. imo worrying about what other clubs may or may not do on draft day is not the way to go.

do your homework rate each player and take em accordingly. how many players have we reached for under jackson that we know of? too many id say.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying 2 teams would have taken him if we hadn't so it's not like we reached for him by taking him where we wanted him.

You keep going on about how we could take so and so with a late pick when in reality they probably won't be there.

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1100 on: June 12, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »

Very well put. We seem to jump at shadows every draft and stretch for players. The 2013 draft I fear will go down as one of our worst in history for that very reason.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #1101 on: June 12, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »

Very well put. We seem to jump at shadows every draft and stretch for players. The 2013 draft I fear will go down as one of our worst in history for that very reason.

You mean only one 18 year-old, a recycled 8-year failure, a SANFL player that was delisted from an AFL list three years ago after 2 games and a country footballer from the VFL wooden spooners - all over 24? C'mon, what's not to like?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1102 on: June 12, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
Don't stress. We don't need youth.

The list is awesome as is

Might as well pass on the next draft

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1103 on: June 12, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
Oh look at least we brought in Thomas to cover for the loss of Lonergan.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1104 on: June 12, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
Reminds me of 2002 draft/trade with Fleming, Nicholls and Blumfield in because we were in such good shape. That went well didn't it....

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1105 on: June 12, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
I like how we choose not to partake in the 01 super draft outside theislander midget

the claw

« Reply #1106 on: June 12, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »

You mean only one 18 year-old, a recycled 8-year failure, a SANFL player that was delisted from an AFL list three years ago after 2 games and a country footballer from the VFL wooden spooners - all over 24? C'mon, what's not to like?
id argue gordon and lloyd would have been worth taking a chance on as rookie picks. wait a minute i argued exactly what you posted all thru trade period and off season.
it still rankles me that we only took one kid in the entire trade and nd period and was forced to defend my stance, seems a lot are coming round eh.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1107 on: June 12, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »

id argue gordon and lloyd would have been worth taking a chance on as rookie picks. wait a minute i argued exactly what you posted all thru trade period and off season.
it still rankles me that we only took one kid in the entire trade and nd period and was forced to defend my stance, seems a lot are coming round eh.

I argued the same....was another cherry ripe locked and loaded off-season. Could see the year we've had coming a mile off, because we've all seen it happen before.

- Thomas Sowell

the claw

« Reply #1108 on: June 12, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying 2 teams would have taken him if we hadn't so it's not like we reached for him by taking him where we wanted him.

You keep going on about how we could take so and so with a late pick when in reality they probably won't be there.
oh cmon its exactly what your saying.  matty came from a limited footy background he was touted as possibly a late nd  rookie pick that is if you can find anybody at all who knew who he was. and we hear a few rumours panic and take him at pick 44.  so what if he goes before pick 44 there were still decent players to be had.

just like the club you have no idea where other clubs would have taken dea even if they had him in their sights.
he didnt rate a 3rnd pick thats for sure.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1109 on: June 12, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »
I like how we choose not to partake in the 01 super draft outside theislander midget
S you still haven't got over 2001 , move on  :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled