Author Topic: Matt Dea [merged]  (Read 150295 times)

bushranger

Re: Pick 44. Matt Dea
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 06:17:55 PM »
This kid could be the right spanner for our works. I really hope he does really well for us and for him too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
Tiger’s d-day
By Lachlan Taylor
Sunraysia Daily
28 Dec, 2009

THE changerooms at Matt Dea’s new club were just like any other he had entered during his football career.

“When we first walked into the changerooms, to see everyone getting ready just like a normal day at training, it was a bit unreal,” Dea said.

But rather than the usual country football types, this changeroom was filled with AFL stars the likes of Ben Cousins, Brett Deledio and Chris Newman, as Dea started his life as an AFL footballer with Richmond.

“The best thing to say is that it’s just been overwhelming,” Dea said.

“When we got out on to the track for the first few kicks I was a little nervous, but after that it was just like any other session.

“All the other boys at the club have been in the position we’ve been in, so they were very welcoming and willing to help out and do anything possible to make it easier for us.”

After a brutal four weeks of pre-season training, 18-year-old Dea is back home in Mildura over the Christmas-New Year break.

Picked up by Richmond with pick 44 in the AFL National Draft in November, Dea began training with the Tigers almost straight away and said it had taken some getting used to.

“Constantly just having your mind on the go with training and recovery then gym, you need to be switched on the whole time. That’s the biggest thing I’ve found,” Dea said.

“The quantity of training is amazing. You’ll do a running session in the morning and then go back and be ready to do weights in the afternoon and then make sure your recovery is perfect every time.”

http://mildura.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/general/tigers-dday/1713935.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 11:03:29 PM »
THE changerooms at Matt Dea’s new club were just like any other he had entered during his football career.
And that's why Punt Rd is being redeveloped lol. The changerooms hadn't changed in over 30 years  :P.

Dea began training with the Tigers almost straight away and said it had taken some getting used to.
Dea definitely did it tough on the first day especially in the repeat endurance running.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 05:55:34 AM »
From Hougie on BF:

"Dea has hamstring issues and will be restricted for a fortnight or so. Did it over Christmas."

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16614874&postcount=288

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
Pods got away from him a bit in the last quarter when the pressure from our midfield dropped off but by the sound of it from WP Dea's first 3 quarters were quite impressive on debut across HB. He was drafted for his awareness skills coming from a basketball background. How was his footskills WP or anyone else who went today?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
Considering we missed thursty and mcgaune against tassie, thought our defence was really good today.
Geelong got 5 in 5 mins in the last which really flattered their score.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A toey Tiger sees a chance (Ballarat Courier)
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
A toey Tiger sees a chance
BY GAVIN MCGRATH
Ballarat Courier
11 Aug, 2010 11:56 PM

FORMER North Ballarat Rebel and Ballarat Clarendon College footballer Matt Dea has had to learn a thing or two about patience this year.

Drafted by Richmond last year with pick 44 in the AFL national draft, Dea had his first taste of AFL football in round four this year, against Melbourne, along with fellow 2009 recruit and former North Ballarat Rebel David Astbury. That debut was followed by consecutive games in round five (Fremantle) and six (Geelong).

Since then, times have been lean. Dea injured his foot in the match against Geelong and has not played an AFL match since.

Astbury, meanwhile, has increased his tally of matches to 15.

However, the signs are finally looking brighter for the 18-year-old.

"I'm hopefully playing next week with the Coburg reserves," Dea says.

"When we first came across the stress fracture in my foot, I think I came back too soon. The second time round, we have been a lot more careful with my progression, kicking and running."

Being on a long-term injury, listed as "indefinite" for much of the season, has meant Dea has not been able to train often with the main Richmond playing group.

Fortunately, Dea has had a role model of sorts during his recovery, in fellow injured Tiger Nathan Foley.

"My training has been away from the main group a lot. It's unfortunate," Dea says.

"A blessing has been Nathan Foley, who has been working with me. The way he trains and the encouragement I get from that, it shows there is light at the end tunnel."

After a long rehabilitation, even playing reserves football in the VFL will be a treat, and an encouragement heading into season 2011.

"Having played and then having it taken away was very frustrating. Any footy I can get would be really nice," Dea says.

"I think I can still have a good finish to the season. The next goal is to get a really good pre-season under my belt and come back fit next year."

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/general/a-toey-tiger-sees-a-chance/1911118.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Matt Dea [merged]
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »
You might find that if Dea gets through the game this week he will be in the Seniors the week after.

The club has high hopes on him!!

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
You might find that if Dea gets through the game this week he will be in the Seniors the week after.

Club had high hopes for Relton Roberts, Adam Pattison, Danny Meyer, Troy Taylor, Adam Thomson, etc etc etc.
Play him on the big ground in Perth, he will get well and truely found out

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »
No arguments here.......

Has a long way to go does Matty Dea.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 09:59:15 PM »

Club had high hopes for Relton Roberts, Adam Pattison, Danny Meyer, Troy Taylor, Adam Thomson, etc etc etc.
Play him on the big ground in Perth, he will get well and truely found out

Then perhaps a good thing he gets played then Jack  ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:04:46 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
Coming from a long way back but this kid is a student and has a FANTASTIC attitude to his football.

Wouldn't write him off.

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
can he play footy though ??? ::) ::)

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »
can he play footy though ??? ::) ::)
How about we wait and see.