Author Topic: No Phantom Draft But...  (Read 1398 times)

PuntRdRoar

No Phantom Draft But...
« on: November 07, 2004, 05:53:32 PM »
I wont be doing another phantom draft. I did one earlier but in the end...the names will be called out and theres nothing any of us can do to change what will occur. I will however outline my thinking of what may happen in general terms and I suppose provide a summary of my hopes for the tigers come draft day.

Brett Deledio seems to be firming for the No 1 position. He is a good number 1 selection, the tigers will have a 10 year player here.

I think the Hawks will either take Griffen or Tambling at 2 and the Dogs will take a tall ...Franklin at 3. I think we will take 1 of either Griffen or Tambling at 4 but if they have gone at 2 and 3 and Franklin is left...dont be surprised to see us pull the first surprise of the draft here with Cameron Wood.

The next set of selections of interest for us are between 12 and 20. We have 3 here...12, 16 and 20. Of the talls Ruory Kirkby and Tom Williams seem to be around the mark at 12. Williams seems to have come from nowhere to be considered a top 10. If this rating holds...then dont be surprised to see us call the Queenslanders name here, at 16 I like Jack Juniper and at 20 I like Tom Reddin- both boys are from Glenelg. At 35 the tigers should like another South Australian in Jordan Russell.

The picks then would be

1. Brett Deledio
4. One of Griffen Tambling or Wood
12. Williams
16. Juniper
20. Redden
35. Russell

So to all our supporters...Its a matter of wait and see and goodluck. We will need some between 12 and 20 come draft day. And thats where the draft will be most important for us. 1 and 4 are easy...12 16 and 20 are the hard ones to get right!

Regards
Ramps

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: No Phantom Draft But...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 09:23:52 AM »
Rampaging interesting thoughts

I don't believe Juniper or Redden will be considered. Alos the knock on Kitkby is his pace.

At 12 and 16 look for either Gibson or Bate. You are right on the money with Russel though ;)

Williams will be gone by 12.

The big question is Pick 4.

Roughead or the big black panther? Tough one.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:14:56 PM »
I think the Hawks will either take Griffen or Tambling at 2 and the Dogs will take a tall ...Franklin at 3. I think we will take 1 of either Griffen or Tambling at 4 but if they have gone at 2 and 3 and Franklin is left...dont be surprised to see us pull the first surprise of the draft here with Cameron Wood.

I think you maybe onto something Ramps.

I think pick 4 may come down to Franklin and Wood. They are keen on Wood have been for quite sometime.

But Franklin has become more appealing to me at least because of a few things I have heard. Number 1 - if he's drafted to Victorian Club (which is just about a given) his entire family would move over here - which would be a massive plus I reckon. 

Did you know that Franklin's father played footy for Heidelberg here in Victoria? So there is a connection - not a big one but a connection none the less
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 07:16:10 PM »
Our problems with picks 12 and 16 for Ottens is simply that 12 should have been 7 or 8 but it isnt. Im happy to take 2 out Deledio, Griffen, Tambling, Franklin or Wood. I think they will all be good players. As i said before our draft will be decided with 12 16 and 20. My SA people who I rate tell me Juniper and Reddin can play and Russell will be ok. But who knows...in the end theyre all still kids...and our recent history shows that we are inept in developing our kids. Richmond should do what the soccer clubs do and have an academy. Put Brian Royal in charge of it- so that Wallace does the big picture stuff... make it compulsory for every kid under 21 on our list to be in it. It should be an academy which has extra skills sessions and provides some life development programs. If it works for clubs like Man U and Barcelona and Real Madrid and others then surely it could work for us.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 01:57:56 AM »
You're right RT. Our teen picks are the most important for us as well as the hardest to tip. I haven't seen either of Williams or Juniper but from what I've read around the traps they both to involve a high level of risk for a first round pick. Not sure we should use two first round picks for both of them. Other than that the rest would be a good mixture of pick ups RT.

You luv your South Aussies RT  :thumbsup

Richmond should do what the soccer clubs do and have an academy. Put Brian Royal in charge of it- so that Wallace does the big picture stuff... make it compulsory for every kid under 21 on our list to be in it. It should be an academy which has extra skills sessions and provides some life development programs. If it works for clubs like Man U and Barcelona and Real Madrid and others then surely it could work for us.

That's a excellent idea RT. Its new (well to the AFL) initiatives like that can give us an edge in an area we have been pitiful for so long - player development. You should contact Miller and Wallace about it.

West Ham United are famous for their Academy of Football (soccer) and continually produce quality young players. Problem is the club isn't rich or good enough to stop them being poached by the top clubs. No salary caps or drafts in soccer.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd