Author Topic: One hit wonder forwards  (Read 2495 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
One hit wonder forwards
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »
After watching the replay of 19 year old Jurica kicking 5 this morning against the Dons it made me think we've had a few one hit wonder forwards in the past 15 years. Pretty sure Stuart Edwards kicked a bag too in '95, Plapp kicked something like 5 in '98, Schulz kicking 6 against the Lions at their peak in 2004, and Cleve last year kicking 6 against Port. All young (19-21 years old) when they had their day out and all of them never went on  :-\.

Hopefully we have better luck and player development with our current crop of young forwards and they take over from Richo's mantle in the decade to come :pray.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: One hit wonder forwards
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »
Stephen James and Justin Murphy kicked bags of 5 early in their career. Marty mcgrath kicked a bag against the Doggies. Nice teases.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:04:30 AM »
Jurica was a two-hit wonder, because to my memory he kicked another bag of 5 against Carlton,also in 1995.His effort in a losing side, against a red-hot team,on a huge winning streak, who went on to win the flag, drew considerable praise from Steve Silvagni, who described him as a strong young man, and a very tough opponent.
So why didn't Jurica go on to become "the next Dunstall" as many objective commentators at the time forecast?
It's hard to say. But,as someone who regularly went to training, I can tell you that he was very lazy on the track. And he would literally disappear back up the race if so much as a few spots of rain started to fall.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
Pathetic Pettifer beats them all.

the biggest soft co.ck to wear the Yellow and Black i have ever seen.

never played for the team that little stuffwit
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
Brett Evans was a one hit (on a young Barry Hall  :lol) wonder.

Don't know if he ever kicked a bag, but I remember a big torry on the half-time siren against the bombers once.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »
Steven Jackson played 21 ordinary games for Richmond .....kicked 6 against the Brisbane Bears.

Was sacked mid year if I recall (allegedly for being a big girl  :shh)
Unleash the tornado

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:27 PM »
Richard Lounder of course kicked 4 on debut lol.

Terry Keays kicked 7 against the Dogs and 5 against the Roys in consecutive weeks.

Stephen Ryan kicked a couple of 4's as a 20 year old

Jurica was a two-hit wonder, because to my memory he kicked another bag of 5 against Carlton,also in 1995.His effort in a losing side, against a red-hot team,on a huge winning streak, who went on to win the flag, drew considerable praise from Steve Silvagni, who described him as a strong young man, and a very tough opponent.
So why didn't Jurica go on to become "the next Dunstall" as many objective commentators at the time forecast?
It's hard to say. But,as someone who regularly went to training, I can tell you that he was very lazy on the track. And he would literally disappear back up the race if so much as a few spots of rain started to fall.
Slow also comes to mind from memory. Jurica kicked 4 straight against Carlton the week before. He also kicked 4 in R21 against the Pies. Under Walls he hardly got a game and was gone after 1997.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »
Ben Hollands kicked 5 against Freo didn't he?
edit: no he only kicked 2 but one was after the siren.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »

Ben Hollands or Ben Holland? The guy who kicked 124 goals at Richmond over 125 games.  I wouldn't call Ben Holland a one hit wonder, he was a good player.  I really wonder why we got rid of him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Holland

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 04:10:25 AM »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 02:39:16 PM »

Ben Hollands or Ben Holland? The guy who kicked 124 goals at Richmond over 125 games.  I wouldn't call Ben Holland a one hit wonder, he was a good player.  I really wonder why we got rid of him.

If running like you are on a treadmill was a quality we needed then sure we should have hung onto him. I think he was disposed of at the right time as he did nothing at Melbourne. IMO he really only had one good year, 2001.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »

If running like you are on a treadmill was a quality we needed then sure we should have hung onto him. I think he was disposed of at the right time as he did nothing at Melbourne. IMO he really only had one good year, 2001.
No, getting rid of him at the right time would have been sending him to Adelaide for Kane Johnson the year before like what was supposed to happen, not the following year for our #2 draft pick and the rest.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »

No, getting rid of him at the right time would have been sending him to Adelaide for Kane Johnson the year before like what was supposed to happen, not the following year for our #2 draft pick and the rest.

Gee people are pretty sore on Ben Holland here.  I disagree, for my money he was a good KPP who could kick straight in front of goal, a rare commodity at Richmond over the last 10 years.  We should have kept him and not recruited the Jay Schulzes of this world.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 06:45:20 PM »
Holland had cement legs and was a football dinosaur.
Agree with Infamy. Should have sent him packing to Adelaide, instead he ended up costing us plenty for little return.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:54:29 PM »
Although most people called him "Dutchy", my nickname for Ben Holland was "barcode", because when you looked at his match stats in the paper on Monday morning it was always full of zeroes and ones.