Author Topic: Who is our best midfielder?  (Read 2852 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who is our best midfielder?
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:38:47 AM »
With some many changes to our list who do you folks think is our best midfielder now and why?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Who is our best midfielder?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:57:33 AM »
Brett Deledio - Because he is by a clear margin. Elite speed, clean disposal, brilliant mark, now works both ways after Wallace's departure. He will get more support in 2010 so should step up another level again.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »
The only thing I would add to that, Infamy, is that he wins contested possessions. Since Rawlings made him confront his weaknesses rather than hiding him in the forward line, he has the makings of one of the elite footballers of the comp.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
Brett Deledio - Because he is by a clear margin. Elite speed, clean disposal, brilliant mark, now works both ways after Wallace's departure. He will get more support in 2010 so should step up another level again.

Should being the operative word.
I'm yet to be convinced, I'm hoping a new coach will find the right button/s to push with Lids.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »

Should being the operative word.
I'm yet to be convinced, I'm hoping a new coach will find the right button/s to push with Lids.
Yet to be convinced? The kid is the one true elite player we have at the club (other than Cousins who is an import). Its a team game, he can't do it all by himself.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:15:57 PM by Infamy »

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »
I agree Lids is our best midfielder but TW did his development no favours by trying to move him away from a tagger rather than learning how to beat one. I think the reason for this is now more clear - Wallace wanted immediate success so was not prepared to wait for Lids to learn and Wallace did not understand the idea that good players need support and protection around them. Judd and Cousins always stood out individually because the other West Coast midfielders would block for them. Lids needs support and education. He is not a champion yet and will only become one when he forgets about being better than everyone else and starts just fighting to help his team to become successful. TW breed a team of individuals which is why none of players appear to have developed as much as they should have. Only when whole teams rise together do they lift the stars up above them.

I think Cotchin has more potential than Lids and perhaps Martin as well but Lids definitely has more runs on the board at the moment. Foley is quickly forgotten too after one injury plagued year. Before he was injured, before the State of Origin game, Foley was one of the best midfielders in the AFL so given time he may yet rise above, or at least be challege, Lids for the title.

I also hope some of Collins, Connors, White, Hislop, Thompson and any of our new midfielder recruits lift to challenge Lids and co, or at least give them the much needed support they need, and become quality midfielders in their own right.

Stripes

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:52:28 PM »
He is not a champion yet and will only become one when he forgets about being better than everyone else and starts just fighting to help his team to become successful. TW breed a team of individuals which is why none of players appear to have developed as much as they should have. Only when whole teams rise together do they lift the stars up above them.

My thought too.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
I love how people talk on the internet like they know how these players think, How well do you know lids stripes?  I just can't believe how you can say Martin has more potential or even Cotch.  Please do not reply saying that I do not rate Cotch , that just isn't the case . Please look at  what they have achieved not what so called experts say. Do some research compare lids last two years with most of the other onballers in the league ,who most are much older or compare them at the same age , you might get a surprise.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »
Lids.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »
I would think that a fit Ben Cousins would still give Deledio a run for his money.

He only played 15 games and still finished 5th in the B&F.

Unleash the tornado

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
I would think that a fit Ben Cousins would still give Deledio a run for his money.
He won't play as much midfield, more high half forward

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »
Lids - by a fair way IMHO

The areas that were for me at least concerns in the past (the defensive side) have improved out markedly in the last 18 months.

I think he will continue to improve

I also think he is also starting to show what a good natural leader he is and what a great leader he may just become and for that I give Cousins a helluva lot of credit
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »
I love how people talk on the internet like they know how these players think, How well do you know lids stripes?  I just can't believe how you can say Martin has more potential or even Cotch.  Please do not reply saying that I do not rate Cotch , that just isn't the case . Please look at  what they have achieved not what so called experts say. Do some research compare lids last two years with most of the other onballers in the league ,who most are much older or compare them at the same age , you might get a surprise.

G'day dogged. To answer your first question about how well I know Lids? - probably as much as most supporters do, only by outside observation, news, interviews and hearsay. Do you know him personally? Lids is an out and out star but 'from reports' he is an extremely focused, driven introvert who has been coached and developed by his father all of his amateur years. Perhaps he has become more of a leader under the tutorage of Cousins but this has not been a natural strength of his. Lids also has (again by all reports) had difficulty shaking taggers and did not benefit from being changed positionally every game, every year. One year TW had him bulk up during the pre-season to become a KPF but then changed his mind and played Lids more as a midfielder while still carrying the extra muscle.

Cotchin's brief AFL career has been marred by injury but what he showed to date has been exciting. Cotchin came to the club heralded as a natural leader. If he can play consistent football and realize his potential then he could become a better midfielder for us than Lids. This is all I was saying. Not having a go at Lids, who I believe is our current best player, but rather suggesting that players such as Cotch, Martin and even Bling could become our number one midfielder in the future. That is all.

Stripes

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »
Yes I do know lids and his family a close friend of mine knows him very well, yes he is focussed and very determined to be the best he can be. More importantly he wants Richmond to have success and I'm not sure I would call him an introvert. From my observations I am very amused at what some people write about him, it really couldn't be further from the truth. As it is with many AFL players perception becomes truth. You are right in saying he is family orientated but he is certainly his own man.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »
also I'm sorry stripes, I'll get down off of the soapbox now. In fact I think I might sign off for good , it is hard knowing alot about the players and then reading some of the stuff that is written.