Author Topic: Richmond signs up two PNG recruits on international scholarships  (Read 9720 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond signs up two PNG recruits on international scholarships
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »

I doubt that they could produce anyone of VFL standard let alone AFL.

Very true Mat, but the AFL development is generally better than NRL clubs and certainly more focused.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »
AFLPNG Under 15 squad selected for Oceania Cup in Tonga
Wednesday, November 10 2010
Contributed by: Rod

PNG is gearing up for the Oceania Cup to be held in Tonga during December. Coached by Pint Kar the boys are already focused training several times a week. Competing against NZ, Nauru, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and the Solomon Islands, PNG’s Head Coach is quietly confident that they will be very competitive throughout.

“We have a strong presence of academy players who are well-drilled and well-trained so we are confident of success come December. The PNG Talent pathway has created many opportunities for these kids to play football across the world, and they are all benefiting from it in many ways outside of football”.

Two of the boys, Gideon Simon and Nathan Malbak will undergo training with the rest of the team before leaving to travel to Melbourne to train with the Richmond Tigers. Gideon was excited about the prospect of heading down to Australia. “I’m looking forward to traveling to Melbourne, meeting the Tigers and going through all the tests and training drills that will be set”.

Simon and Malbak started their footy careers at very young ages and both have developed at the AFL academy in Port Moresby into players with extreme potential.

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20101109190155853

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »
Looks like we might be going to rookie a Tongan kid along with the two PNG kids we have already on international scholarships.

Recruiters edge closer to South Pacific talent
afl.com.au
By Jennifer Witham
Thu 30 Dec, 2010

THE RECRUITING value of the South Pacific has further increased with a combine held in Tonga this month providing some startling results.

A total of 55 local youngsters tested at the event, with 40 representing their respective countries at the Youth AFL Oceania Championships in the same week.

AFL national and international talent manager Kevin Sheehan said the results from the day, which featured similar testing to the annual NAB AFL Draft Combine, were surprisingly impressive.

"There's no doubt more will get signed by clubs [on international scholarships]," he told afl.com.au.

"Over half of the kids who tested were spot on - right and left, hands and feet.

"They were just beautifully prepared skill-wise, which was a major surprise to us [given] the level they had got to without the same sorts of resources the kids in Australia have got."

Among those tested was Peni Mahina, the younger cousin of Greater Western Sydney recruit Israel Folau.

Mahina scored 25 out of a possible 30 in the Nathan Buckley-designed kicking test, which equalled Western Bulldogs father-son selection Tom Liberatore's effort in Canberra.

He also led the attendees with 12.11 in the beep test.

West Coast ruckman Nic Naitanui, who was an ambassador for the tour with Folau and Gold Coast's NRL convert Karmichael Hunt, saw his vertical jump record of 78cm threatened by Fijian Wilson Kacivi (75cm).

Papua New Guinean Scott Johnson ran the 20m sprint in 2.99 seconds, which would have fallen just outside the top 10 in the national combine. Gold Coast youngster Joel Wilkinson won that test in 2.75 seconds.

Nauru native Yoshi Kepae returned a perfect score in Matthew Lloyd's handball test - something that even draftees Josh Caddy and Dyson Heppell couldn't match with their results of 28 topping the class of 2010.

Recruiters from Geelong, the Brisbane Lions, Richmond and Hawthorn all travelled to Tonga for the event.

Papua New Guineans Max Lavai (Essendon) and Gideon Simon (Richmond), and New Zealanders Rhys Panui-Leth, Kurt Heatherley and Shem Tatupu (Hawthorn) have already been signed to international scholarships.

Seven teams from Pacific countries took part in the championships, which were played over six days and won by Papua New Guinea.

The AFL's indigenous under-16 squad the Flying Boomerangs played exhibition matches against the Oceania under-16 and the South Pacific under-18 sides.

"There are 12 million people living in South Pacific and over 30,000 are now playing," Sheehan said.

"The fact these boys can mix and match with the best of our indigenous kids is a sign kids will come through and play AFL from that region."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106561/default.aspx

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »
PNG Junior Program sets the Benchmark High
worldfootynews.com
Sunday, January 30 2011
Contributed by: Rod

With PNG the AFL Oceania Youth Cup holders AFLPNG are certainly not sitting back and resting on their laurels. With the appointment of the new Director of the AFLPNG Academy Moses Kar, a expanded intake of students awarded scholarships to the De La Salle Football Academy and two of their stars at the Youth Cup spending a week training with AFL Club Richmond football remains very much to the forefront.

The relationship between AFLPNG and De La Salle Secondary School has strengthened with AFLPNG awarding scholarships to 27 students for 2011. Building on 2010 whereby 17 boys attended De La Salle on AFLPNG scholarships, De La Salle has supported the development of the game by allowing AFL to be an integral part of the boys' curriculum.

The Academy scholarship recipients come from throughout PNG and have made incredible improvements within their first year. The Academy has achieved great success in both the Oceania Cup held in Tonga and the Australian U/16 Championships representing South Pacific. They also performed admirably against the indigenous Flying Boomerangs in December last year.

In December 2010, PNG claimed the Oceania Youth Cup in Tonga, defeating host Tonga by 44 points in the Final. The 25 strong team was made up of 17 Academy boys who live, study and train together. Coach of the side Walter Yangomina praised the growth of the game in PNG.

“The establishment of the AFLPNG Academy must take a lot of credit for the win in Tonga. It has fast tracked the development of those kids in the system, they have been together for nearly 12 months and they are playing brilliant team football. Theo Gavuri from the Academy won the best player of the tournament which is a credit to him."

Newly appointed Director of the AFLPNG Academy Moses Kar knows that the boys are keen to focus on training hard and improving their football ability, however he acknowledges that Academic success is a priority. “First and foremost, the boys must dedicate their time to their studies. After they have completed their studies for the day we allow them to play football."

De La Salle Secondary accommodates the students on campus at Bomana. The boys all share a dorm that is provided with showers and toilet facilities, a common area and a kitchen. There is a football oval located within the grounds where the boys train every day. “The facilities are perfect for what we want in our program. There are adequate ovals, sporting facilities and equipment and the sleeping quarters are fine for the students. We are hoping to increase the number of scholarships awarded in the future, and in doing so continually upgrade our accommodation and sporting facilities."

The selection process for the AFLPNG academy begins at school football throughout the provinces. The best kids are selected to represent their region at the Regional Championships. From the Regional Championships kids are selected to play at the Coca-Cola National Championships whereby more kids are selected for the AFLPNG Talent Camp, and International Junior Representation. After impressing at these levels, students are selected for the AFLPNG Academy.

Once at the school the scholarship recipients must meet the academic standards set by De La Salle Secondary to continue at the AFLPNG Academy. If students are not meeting the required standards their progress through the system will be difficult despite their football ability. The footballers selected for 2011 are Major Alphonse, Bruno Arnold, Samson Augerea, Isaac Bakani, Brendan Beno, Junior Frances, Albert Gabi, Theo Gavuri, Ezra Gotuno, Scott Johnson , Douglas Kaiwa, Freddy Kalandi , Harry Kambuou, Ezra Kautu, Rau Kobale, Max Lavai , John Jim Lavatu, Junior Lavu, Alois Luba Alois, Michael Macca, Noel Maguna, Nathan Malbak, Eddie Meli, Ori Nilmo, Nane Rai, Gideon Simon, Jason Soong

AFLPNG Academy students Gideon Simon and Nathan Malbak have just spent the last week of January in Melbourne, Australia for a week of training and testing with AFL club Richmond Tigers.

Simon and Malbak, both 16, were noticed by Richmond recruitment officer Matthew Clarke at the 2009 AFLPNG Talent Camp held in Goroka. Since then their development has been closely monitored by the Richmond Football Club. At the AFL Oceania Youth Cup Simon and Malbak again impressed Richmond recruiting officer Matthew Clarke who offered the boys an opportunity to travel to Melbourne to be assessed by the football club.

Gideon Simon, a midfielder originating from Mount Hagen, is excited about what lies ahead for him, “It is a great opportunity for me to impress the Richmond Football Club, I have been working really hard improving my kicking and I hope to learn even more from my experience in Australia."

Nathan Malbak, a half back flanker born in Lae, was also looking at making the most of the opportunities in front of him. “I am really happy to get this chance. I hope to learn a lot from the experience. The AFLPNG Academy has allowed Gideon and I the opportunity to play and develop our football, so I look forward to playing football in Australia."

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20110129102133546

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Eye of the Tiger on PNG (Age)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 12:42:44 PM »
Eye of the Tiger on PNG
Jon Pierik
February 6, 2011

Young pair seen as stars of the future.

AS RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick perused his playing list through the week, deciding who would line-up against the Indigenous All Stars, a match belatedly cancelled because of poor weather, there was one player he really wanted to unveil.

Unfortunately for the Tigers, that player is only about to start year 10 of schooling and is only at the club, let alone in the country, for a week.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Gideon Simon and Nathan Malbak, a pair of 16-year-olds from Papua New Guinea now on the club's international rookie list, were invited to train with the Tigers last week.

So impressive had Simon been that Hardwick felt he was ready to mix it with some of the league's best.

The Tigers, like Brisbane and Essendon, have tapped into the fertile PNG market, one which had already spawned three-time Lions premiership full-back Mal Michael.

Under the shrewd eye of Tigers' recruiting manager Francis Jackson and recruiting officer Matt Clarke, the club believes it may have discovered two future senior players.

''Francis Jackson and I had a bit of a chat when I started here two years ago,'' Clarke said.

''We had Ray Hall, the former Richmond player, who was actually in PNG on a youth and ambassador program. I rang Ray and he said: 'I am about to coach an under-16 PNG team that will go and play in the Queensland championships'. So I said: 'I am coming over'.

''I flew over, helped him put the team together. I saw Gideon for the first time in a training session and he just stood out to me as a natural talent. I followed him to Brisbane and watched him play, then talked about the International scholarship program which these two boys are on now. Gideon reminded me very much of David Rodan. He is going to be that sort of size. He is quick and kicks the ball well.

''I saw Nathan at the talent camp in 2009 they have in PNG. I saw him play in a game, his reading of the play, his marking at half-back and half-forward, was really impressive.''

Simon, from the PNG highlands, and Malbak, from the coast, have much in common. They live in modest village conditions, their fathers are policemen and mothers attend to the family, while their passion and thirst for football has ensured they have a great work ethic.

Naturally, they have immersed themselves in AFL life this week. ''It's been a very good week. A lot of training and we have learnt a lot things. The coaches have been good,'' Simon said.

The Tigers will remain in contact with the pair when they head home this week and resume schooling with the De La Salle Brothers.

''The more they learn about how Damien wants to play the game, even at this early stage, the better for them,'' Clarke said.

Next year the Tigers could have the pair schooled at De La Salle in Melbourne on an exchange program and possibly play with Coburg in the VFL.

''All the players have been very open to us,'' said Malbak, who was given a spare pair of boots owned by Ben Cousins to wear at training.

''We feel it's our home and we want to stay.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eye-of-the-tiger-on-png-20110205-1ahr7.html

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
Absolutely love the fact that the club are trying things. :thumbsup
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 09:39:34 AM »
will be a tremendous fillup for the tigers if any of the young boys from PNG are able to make the grade in the AFL

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
Saw them down at training. Geez they're short.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
Built like rodan?

short and stocky, fast with strong core and low center of gravity?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
Built like rodan?

short and stocky, fast with strong core and low center of gravity?

Pretty much. You have to be pretty darn good to make it in the AFL at that size.
Nice story but they'll be right up against it to become quality footballers IMO.

gerkin greg

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
Tigers on the prowl in PNG

By Tony Greenberg
2:44 PM Thu 17 Feb, 2011

Richmond is casting its recruiting net over Papua New Guinea.

The Tigers have put two Papua New Guinean teenagers - Gideon Simon and Nathan Malbak - on their international rookie list, and are keen to add more in the future.

Richmond’s recruiting manager, Francis Jackson, and recruiting officer, Matt Clarke, have been heavily involved in setting up the Tigers’ foray into the promising PNG football market.

“When I started at the Club two years ago, Francis had just been in Queensland watching the Queensland under-18 championships, for them to pick their side to go to the nationals. He came back talking about a couple of PNG kids that he’d seen, who had a bit of potential,” Clarke said.

“Anyway, we had a bit of a talk about football in PNG, and then I contacted Ray Hall (former Richmond player), who was over there on a youth ambassador program. He said he was about to coach an under-16 PNG team that was going to play in the Queensland championships, and I told him I’d come over and assist.

“I went to Brisbane, watched them play, and helped out as much as I could. And, that’s where I first saw Gideon, at those championships . . .

“So, I came back and said to Frank that I reckon there’s something well worth pursuing there. I spoke to Craig Cameron (Richmond’s General Manager of Football), who asked where I rated the PNG boys talent-wise, and I told him I think they’re better than the NSW kids. He agreed that it was worthwhile going ahead with a recruiting program there.

“From there, we checked out the international scholarship rules, and then we put some pressure on the AFL to set up a football academy in PNG.

“They got the academy up and going at the start of last year and had 16 boys in it . . . they picked them from a talent camp they hold each December. They rank the best 50 kids and then, like a draft lottery, if AFL clubs want to get involved, they go into a ballot . . .

“Because most of the other clubs hadn’t worried about it, we had two early picks, and we chose Gideon first and then Nathan.

“Gideon just reminded me so much of David Rodan . . . power, speed, clean with his hands, impressive kicking skills, and a really nice kid, with a strong family background. I was really keen to sign him.

“And I’d seen Nathan playing across half-back, as well as up forward in one game, where he kicked four goals. He marked the ball really well, made good decisions . . . he floated in and out of the game, and didn’t have the same sort of intensity that Gideon has, but he just had really nice hands.”

Having started the recruiting ball rolling in PNG by signing the promising teenage pair, the Tigers then travelled to Tonga to monitor their performance in the Oceania under-16 championships just before Christmas.

“PNG absolutely brained them in the championships, and Gideon smashed them,” Clarke said.

“Graeme Hadley, who is Brisbane’s recruiting manager, came up to me and said, ‘I watched Gideon at the start of the week and though, gee, he’s a good player. And, now, I’ve watched him for a whole week, and I reckon he could play AFL footy’.” That’s how impressed he was with him.”

Gideon Simon then quickly caught the eye of the Tigers, when he trained with the playing squad at Punt Road for a week recently, along with Nathan Malbak . . .

“We were training at Bulleen, in the week leading up to the Indigenous All Stars game, and the players were going through a couple of handball drills - one-on-one stuff,” Clarke said.

‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) was watching him and looking at me. Then he said, ‘Mate, he’s killing them . . . can I play him Friday night (against the All Stars)’? I said that technically we could - he is a listed player - but he’s only 16!

“The boys absolutely loved their time here and our blokes were really good interacting with them, too.

“They coped with the training extremely well, particularly for 16-year-old boys.

“Dave Newett (the Club’s development coach) spent a good deal of time with them, working on their kicking, and Terry Condon (rehabilitation and conditioning) did a screening of their bodies, which showed that they’re in the top five among our whole group in terms of not having any structural issues with their bodies . . .”

The pair will be returning to Australia mid-year to represent South Pacific in the national under-16 championships and they’ll also spend time at Punt Road. Next year, they may do their schooling at De La Salle College in Malvern on an exchange program and play VFL football with the Tigers.

In the meantime, Richmond will press ahead with its PNG recruiting plan . . .

“It’s exciting . . . PNG is only two and a half hours from Brisbane, and there are a lot of PNG kids playing in the QAFL system,” Clarke said.

“They require a lot less coaching because there’s been an Aussie Rules culture in PNG for 40-50 years.

“Hawthorn are going really hard in New Zealand in terms of their international scholarship program . . . New Zealand’s got a population of 4.4 million, while PNG’s got 5.8 million people and a really strong Aussie Rules competition all over . . .

“I was back at the PNG talent camp last December and saw another couple of kids I didn’t mind, so we’ll keep pushing it.

“The two boys we’ve picked already are on minimum two-year contracts, so we’ll see how they go after that. If they’re going okay, we can re-contract them.

“We can have up to eight international rookies, so we might add another one or two from the academy next year.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/107988/default.aspx

gerkin greg

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
A lot of similar stuff in there to the last article but the bottom section has some new stuff about the boys time at Punt Road and our PNG recruiting.

Liked these bits

“We were training at Bulleen, in the week leading up to the Indigenous All Stars game, and the players were going through a couple of handball drills - one-on-one stuff,” Clarke said.

‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) was watching him and looking at me. Then he said, ‘Mate, he’s killing them . . . can I play him Friday night (against the All Stars)’? I said that technically we could - he is a listed player - but he’s only 16!

;D

“It’s exciting . . . PNG is only two and a half hours from Brisbane, and there are a lot of PNG kids playing in the QAFL system,” Clarke said.

“They require a lot less coaching because there’s been an Aussie Rules culture in PNG for 40-50 years.

“Hawthorn are going really hard in New Zealand in terms of their international scholarship program . . . New Zealand’s got a population of 4.4 million, while PNG’s got 5.8 million people and a really strong Aussie Rules competition all over . . .

Richmond, ahead of the curve?  :cheers

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers on the prowl in PNG (RFC)
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
Tigers on the prowl in PNG
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Thu 17 Feb, 2011

Richmond is casting its recruiting net over Papua New Guinea.

The Tigers have put two Papua New Guinean teenagers - Gideon Simon and Nathan Malbak - on their international rookie list, and are keen to add more in the future.

Richmond’s recruiting manager, Francis Jackson, and recruiting officer, Matt Clarke, have been heavily involved in setting up the Tigers’ foray into the promising PNG football market.

“When I started at the Club two years ago, Francis had just been in Queensland watching the Queensland under-18 championships, for them to pick their side to go to the nationals. He came back talking about a couple of PNG kids that he’d seen, who had a bit of potential,” Clarke said.

“Anyway, we had a bit of a talk about football in PNG, and then I contacted Ray Hall (former Richmond player), who was over there on a youth ambassador program. He said he was about to coach an under-16 PNG team that was going to play in the Queensland championships, and I told him I’d come over and assist.

“I went to Brisbane, watched them play, and helped out as much as I could. And, that’s where I first saw Gideon, at those championships . . .

“So, I came back and said to Frank that I reckon there’s something well worth pursuing there. I spoke to Craig Cameron (Richmond’s General Manager of Football), who asked where I rated the PNG boys talent-wise, and I told him I think they’re better than the NSW kids. He agreed that it was worthwhile going ahead with a recruiting program there.

“From there, we checked out the international scholarship rules, and then we put some pressure on the AFL to set up a football academy in PNG.

“They got the academy up and going at the start of last year and had 16 boys in it . . . they picked them from a talent camp they hold each December. They rank the best 50 kids and then, like a draft lottery, if AFL clubs want to get involved, they go into a ballot . . .

“Because most of the other clubs hadn’t worried about it, we had two early picks, and we chose Gideon first and then Nathan.

“Gideon just reminded me so much of David Rodan . . . power, speed, clean with his hands, impressive kicking skills, and a really nice kid, with a strong family background. I was really keen to sign him.

“And I’d seen Nathan playing across half-back, as well as up forward in one game, where he kicked four goals. He marked the ball really well, made good decisions . . . he floated in and out of the game, and didn’t have the same sort of intensity that Gideon has, but he just had really nice hands.”

Having started the recruiting ball rolling in PNG by signing the promising teenage pair, the Tigers then travelled to Tonga to monitor their performance in the Oceania under-16 championships just before Christmas.

“PNG absolutely brained them in the championships, and Gideon smashed them,” Clarke said.

“Graeme Hadley, who is Brisbane’s recruiting manager, came up to me and said, ‘I watched Gideon at the start of the week and though, gee, he’s a good player. And, now, I’ve watched him for a whole week, and I reckon he could play AFL footy’.” That’s how impressed he was with him.”

Gideon Simon then quickly caught the eye of the Tigers, when he trained with the playing squad at Punt Road for a week recently, along with Nathan Malbak . . .

“The boys absolutely loved their time here and our blokes were really good interacting with them, too.

“They coped with the training extremely well, particularly for 16-year-old boys.

“Dave Newett (the Club’s development coach) spent a good deal of time with them, working on their kicking, and Terry Condon (rehabilitation and conditioning) did a screening of their bodies, which showed that they’re in the top five among our whole group in terms of not having any structural issues with their bodies . . .”

The pair will be returning to Australia mid-year to represent South Pacific in the national under-16 championships and they’ll also spend time at Punt Road. Next year, they may do their schooling at De La Salle College in Malvern on an exchange program and play VFL football with the Tigers.

“I was back at the PNG talent camp last December and saw another couple of kids I didn’t mind, so we’ll keep pushing it.

“The two boys we’ve picked already are on minimum two-year contracts, so we’ll see how they go after that. If they’re going okay, we can re-contract them.

“We can have up to eight international rookies, so we might add another one or two from the academy next year.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/107988/default.aspx

gerkin greg

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
hey one-eyed there's this awesome website called OER, you should read it sometime  :shh ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
hey one-eyed there's this awesome website called OER, you should read it sometime  :shh ;D

:lol