Author Topic: McKee and the new ruck rules  (Read 1746 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
McKee and the new ruck rules
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:50:15 PM »
The AFL want to bring in new ruck rules to curb the knee injuries happening to ruckmen.

* to remove the line through the centre circle that encourages ruckmen to leap at the bounce from opposing directions
* the introduction of a 10-metre centre circle, as trialled in the 2002 and 2004 Wizard Home Loans Cup series
* the most radical suggestion of prohibiting ruckmen from contacting each other with raised knees.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=177202

As the "Primus" rule nobbled McKee, could these changes make him useful again at AFL level if we were to pick him up in the draft? 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: McKee and the new ruck rules
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 07:27:53 PM »
The bottom line is that McKee is a downright ordinary player.

I am unconvinced that a change in the rules is what curbed his influence.

To me it is more an issue of an ordinary player seeing the game go past him after just finding his level for a couple of years. Happens to a lot of players.

Coupled with the fact that malthouse talks a lot of schit, I wouldn't buy any of his hyperbole about his players.

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 10:08:17 PM »
Surely Knobel is a better option than McKee.

I know that people bag Knobels ability to do anything other than hit the ball, but atleast we can develop that side of his game.

Dont forget, he is still very young(24) in regards to ruckman and has probably played a lot more than he should have. He is also a BIG lump of a lad who may develop into a handy player.

I know that he only "may" develop, but if he does he could be very damaging. Comparing the risk factors invovled between him and mckee and i think Knobel is the more viable option.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 10:59:49 PM »
I think Knobel is going to be our pick

Ox

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 02:14:01 AM »
Just a thought.

Wouldn't hurt to have a ruckman on the list who has his own rule  :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 04:02:38 AM »
In the Age McKee blames lack of gametime because the rule changes favoured ruckman who could leap. He reckons these new rules will give him a better chance of being picked up.

The Age also says McKee has been invited to pre-season training with Richmond by Tigers coach Terry Wallace, who last week gave the Magpie discard a "no guarantees" hope of being selected in either this month's national draft or next month's PSD.

I agree with Bully and LT that I'd reckon we'll pick up Knobel.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 09:05:31 AM »
I agree with Bully and LT that I'd reckon we'll pick up Knobel.

What concerns me with Knobel is the fact that he is only 24 and it would appear to be leaving St Kilda because of $$$$. I seem to vaguely remember a bloke who used to play for us who had $$$ signs in his eyes  >:( ::)

As I posted on the PSD Pick thread whether we take Knobel will depend on 2 things: 1/ how much he wants and 2/ whether we get rid of Zantuck.

I don't think we can afford to keep Zantuck and take Knobel
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 09:41:25 AM »
I'd rather Knobel over Mckee but really that's not saying much.  They are both ordinary.  There's gotta be better than these 2 and Graham in the PSD.  Apparently Anthony Corie is in contractual dispute with the lions.  Wuldn't mind picking him up.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 11:19:22 AM »
Mckee for me.

It would be interesting to know who Alessio favoured wouldn't it?
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ruck rule indecision affects draft: Wallace
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 12:18:22 AM »
Ruck rule indecision affects draft: Wallace
By Melissa Ryan
The Age
November 13, 2004

Richmond coach Terry Wallace believes the AFL's decision to trial new ruck regulations rather than make a firm decision on how to govern ruck contests has created uncertainty about picking potential ruckmen from next Saturday's national draft.

Wallace, whose Tigers have six of the first 36 picks at the draft, yesterday said he thought the AFL had done enough work on the issue of ruck contests to introduce a rule change rather than further experimentation.

The AFL decided this week that it would revamp ruck contests because of the sharp increase in serious knee injuries, and has proposed three rules for club review, with one to be trialled in the pre-season cup.

The three proposals are: banning contact with a raised knee; removing the line through the centre circle with ruckmen to begin their run from outside a 10-metre circle around the centre circle; and having the ruckmen run at the bounce from within a 10-metre circle.

"I think they've just got to fix it up once and for all, make a decision on which way they want to go - whether that's a medical-based decision or a decision for the aesthetics of the game - but somebody has got to make that decision and be strong on that decision," Wallace said.

"At the moment we've had rules where we've had double circles for Wizard Cup, we've had lines, we haven't had lines. It's been, probably, more so than any other rule, all over the shop."

"Let's make a decision and let's stick by our decision and let's go down that path so the clubs know what sort of players they're looking for.

"I'm going into a draft on Saturday week, do I get an athletic ruckman or a strong-based ruckman? I don't know what the rules are, so it actually has an influence on what type you perhaps might look for.

"I'm comfortable that they should have done enough by this stage, and I believe they have to make a decision. But let's make that decision so we know where we stand."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/12/1100227582342.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ruck rule indecision affects draft: Wallace
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 04:40:42 AM »

"Let's make a decision and let's stick by our decision and let's go down that path so the clubs know what sort of players they're looking for.

"I'm going into a draft on Saturday week, do I get an athletic ruckman or a strong-based ruckman? I don't know what the rules are, so it actually has an influence on what type you perhaps might look for.

"I'm comfortable that they should have done enough by this stage, and I believe they have to make a decision. But let's make that decision so we know where we stand."

Good on ya TW. It's important that we know now. Glad also to see he reads OER :thumbsup

I'd say from that if the rules are changed before the PSD then we'll pick McKee otherwise if they remain the same as now for the 2005 H/A season then Knobel as a plain old tap ruckman will get the nod.