Author Topic: Richmond faces $1m hole after 5400 members fall off from last year (H-Sun)  (Read 8436 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond faces $1m hole after 5400 members fall off from this time last year

* Sam Edmund
    * January 14, 2010

RICHMOND is staring down the barrel of a $1 million shortfall, with its membership levels sagging.

The Tigers are down 5400 members on the same time last year, when Ben Cousins joined the club and generated enormous interest.

The membership vacuum this month equates to more than $1 million in club revenue.

Richmond officials are confident the numbers will improve, pointing out memberships went on sale two weeks later than normal and that the excitement with Cousins' arrival was always going to be impossible to match.

Chief executive Brendon Gale yesterday urged Tigers fans to stick with the yellow and black.

"We exist for our members. To have 37,000 members (in 2009) and to have not won a premiership since 1980 says a lot about the loyalty of the Richmond faithful," Gale said. "We want them to stay on this journey with us."

Last January Richmond had signed more than 23,500 members in what was a boom summer for the club.

The Tigers were even flooded with membership inquiries from West Australians eager to follow Cousins' return to football and the 2009 membership total of 36,985 smashed all records.

But the novelty has worn off after a disappointing season in which the Tigers finished 15th.

Terry Wallace was sacked as coach, Kane Johnson, Joel Bowden and favourite son Matthew Richardson retired and veterans Nathan Brown and Mark Coughlan were among nine players axed following a tumultuous season.

As of yesterday, the Tigers had 18,100 members. But Gale said he was buoyed by the fact 1000 of those were new.

"We operate in a competitive environment," Gale said. "Clearly we underperformed last season. This year is a year of transformation on and off the field. We've got a clearly defined game plan that we believe will deliver sustained success and there's been a huge turnover at the club over summer."

Gale was excited by Richardson's decision to split his first year of retirement between media commitments and a commercial operations role at the club.

"He's going to have to come to work in a suit every day and get his hands dirty," Gale said. "It's a serious job with serious responsibilities. He has bled for this club over many years and he's a passionate Richmond person."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-faces-1m-hole-after-5400-members-fall-off-from-this-time-last-year/story-e6frf9io-1225818990954

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Well I think the Cuz factor did influence the high membership numbers last year including West Aussies that just joined for thr Ben factor. I also think that a lot of others joined because they thought or had been led to believe that we would be in finals.

I don't care my whole family will continue to join every year.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
maby the dip in membership is what the board needed.. whats the point if they expect us to keep being members and we keep being crap

the claw

this is the worst possible news.why because it leads to short cuts. i hope the club are prepared for a few more bottom lines financially and dont try for a quick fix. we all have seen what quick fixes have done for 27 yrs.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
this is the worst possible news.why because it leads to short cuts.

Don't really see the point here. Ben Cousins was arguably a short cut and he generated most of the extra numbers that have dropped off.
I can't see why anyone would be surprised by this reduction in numbers whatsoever. Particularly after last season's disaster.
Was always going to happen and I'd be amazed if the club hasn't taken this into consideration.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We've gone back to around the 2008 membership figures for this time of year. We had 14,990 ticketed members on 16/01/2008 so that would be around the 18k mark if you include non-ticketed memberships.

Tiggytam

I also think that a lot of others joined because they thought or had been led to believe that we would be in finals.

If people joined because of that fact they were delusional.  Every club has fickle supporters, once we get our act together and start performing they will come out of the woodwork like always.  Until then they will sit back and snipe away.

Everyone knew it was the Ben factor last year and would not carry over.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Classic! Magic wrote the real story in his post but then who'd read that!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
this is the worst possible news.why because it leads to short cuts.

Don't really see the point here. Ben Cousins was arguably a short cut and he generated most of the extra numbers that have dropped off.
I can't see why anyone would be surprised by this reduction in numbers whatsoever. Particularly after last season's disaster.
Was always going to happen and I'd be amazed if the club hasn't taken this into consideration.

Totally agree Magic

There was always going to be a drop in numbers this year simply because of the disaster that was 2009
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
If we can snare a few good wins early in the season and play an exciting brand of footy, then we'll make these numbers up.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
Re: Richmond faces $1m hole after 5400 members fall off from last year (H-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:51:37 AM »
This article is just another example of the crap that the press dish up.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »
This article is just another example of the crap that the press dish up.

Spot on Ekto. It's also an example of the delight the Hun in particular takes in sinking the boot into Richmond at every opportunity. So far this pre-season there's been just two articles about us.Troy Taylor's punch-up, and our membership shortfall. The suggestion of course being that we supporters are all just a fickle bunch of bandwagon jumpers.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
not surprising we are seeing a dip considering the extraordinary factors that fuelled LY meteoric rise. Those factors...as in coming off a promising year coupled with the recruitment of cuzz are absent this year...only some encouraging performances that underline the quality of this new group on and off field will help bridge the gap in 2010...and you know what, I reckon we will :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

bushranger

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:06:17 AM »
I think along the lines of bojangles17.
With a couple of good early wins could make the difference to 2010.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »
Beating Carltank is our only hope.

stuff it.