Author Topic: Punt Road rectangle?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Punt Road rectangle?
« on: November 12, 2004, 03:11:01 AM »
Sports Tonight reported tonight that Punt Road Oval was possibly one of the proposed sites for the new purposely built rugby/soccer stadium. They had Justin Madden on and he said the State Government was looking at all ex-VFL suburban grounds as potential sites and he mentioned Punt Road Oval and Princess Park in particular as they were close to the centre of the city.

Pass  :(.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

Re: Punt Road rectangle?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:24:13 AM »
i disagree with you MT on this one, i reckon if the State Government want to throw money into our home training venue and improve it into a top notch venue it can only be a bonus. Sure they may align it so that it can be used for soccer and rugby, but that may be a bonus for us. It will stop us from taking the ball so wide out onto the wings!!! :thumbsup

But seriously it couldnt hurt in my opinion as long as we hold priority over the use of the ground. There may be some issues with the cricket club whom we wouldnt want to push out.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 08:34:05 AM »
I am not too sure how this could happen

IIRC we have a lease over Punt Road Oval that has another 20 years or so to run - I stand correctedon the length of the lease but we certainll have one
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 05:58:48 PM »
i disagree with you MT on this one, i reckon if the State Government want to throw money into our home training venue and improve it into a top notch venue it can only be a bonus. Sure they may align it so that it can be used for soccer and rugby, but that may be a bonus for us. It will stop us from taking the ball so wide out onto the wings!!! :thumbsup

But seriously it couldnt hurt in my opinion as long as we hold priority over the use of the ground. There may be some issues with the cricket club whom we wouldnt want to push out.

:rollin @ stopping us from going so wide with the footy.

I have no problem with the State Government throwing money at Punt Road Oval to vastly improve facilities like the Federal Government has with the Whitten Oval but if it is reconfigured to a smaller and rectangular pitch then as a training ground it basically becomes useless to us except for say the gym and pool. We would then be forced to practice our team drills at Sandy or heaven forbid the lexus centre :P.

If we have a lease then we, the RCC and the local council would need to agree to the plans I'd presume. I can't see that happening if the plans are for oval to disappear.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd