Author Topic: I don't want a cap, I want a bloody flag  (Read 2332 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
I don't want a cap, I want a bloody flag
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »
I have always put a low value on any membership benefit outside of free entry to the game. At a club like Richmond, the key other benefit should be on field success not free caps, stickers, scarfs or lanyard.
It may seem small but consider what this crap costs the club - say it is $10-15 per member, that $300-450k on a base of 30k of members.
The last thing members should expect or want are crappy souvenirs or badges of loyalty. Put that into improved support for players.
And if members feel ripped off by not getting a cap how the eff do they feel when they walk away at the end of round 1 most years.
Priorities people!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ramps

Re: I don't want a cap, I want a bloody flag
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »
I agree 100%

Only the kids membership should have the souvenirs.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »
I agree 95%. I actually like the sticker, just something to put on the car to advertise you are a member.
Stickers are such a small cost that it would keep members happy as well as being a minimal outlay.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »
It may seem small but consider what this crap costs the club - say it is $10-15 per member,

What if it's less than $10 per member

Because I reckon it is less than $10 a member  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »
caps not necessary, the recognition is the important factor...25 yr + members should have their names engraved on pavers surrounding Punt rd to mark their lifetime contribution in perpetuity :shh :gotigers :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
It may seem small but consider what this crap costs the club - say it is $10-15 per member,

A saving of $5 is still $150k, that's the same as having an extra 1500 members.
I'm sure that would help get equipment such as gps devices to track player training intensity.  Club could even explain where the money has been re- directed to help us see the benefit.

Gps>>>>>>>>>>>>>crappy caps
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

jackstar is back again

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:35 PM »

A mate was selling caps to the AFLs clubs and other sporting groups ( Moonee Valley , MCC etc )
Cost of caps is about $4.00 .  What the happens is the clubs sponsors  then  sponsor the caps eg pays money for advertising etc on the cap.

richmondrules

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:22:14 AM »
It's all just part of running a football club. As Jackstar says it's a lot to do with sponsors.

I don't believe the provision of stickers, caps and scarves to members has much to do with our current problems. Focusing on this is distracting from where the real work needs to be done.

A football club is a brand and it needs to be well known to attract money from corporate sources. The more well known our brand is the more attractive we are to people like Dick Smith and Luxbet. Caps, stickers and scarves are a relatively cheap way to increase the clubs exposure.

I was wearing my cap yesterday resplendent in its corporate advertising. I did a bit of shopping at chaddy so there will have been a few thousand people who would have seen my cap. Most would not have taken much notice but Dick Smith will have been read by a fair few without them even realising re-enforcing Tricky Dicky as a well known brand. Next time they are looking for electrical gear Dick Smith may well be one of the companies that spring to mind.

There's an old saying, you have to spend money to make money. This seems to be a reasonable expense.

If your worried about the money they are spending on this then wear the cap more often and put the sticker on your car, make the expense worth while.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »
A mate was selling caps to the AFLs clubs and other sporting groups ( Moonee Valley , MCC etc )
Cost of caps is about $4.00 .  What the happens is the clubs sponsors  then  sponsor the caps eg pays money for advertising etc on the cap.

Correct  ;) :thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
What about the lanyards or the deck of cards or the key rings etc. I dont recall seeing sponsors logos on that stuff and to be honest that stuff sux and is unnecessary.

richmondrules

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »
What about the lanyards or the deck of cards or the key rings etc. I dont recall seeing sponsors logos on that stuff and to be honest that stuff sux and is unnecessary.

I suppose they are supposed to make the members feel good. Looks like it didn't work for you. ;D

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 10:42:09 AM »

Correct  ;) :thumbsup

$120k seems like a huge amount of money to effectively billboard 30000 caps.
You can take out a full page ad in national dailies for the same amount.
It's that simple Spud

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
I'm not sure what part of "sponsor on the caps" is hard to understand.  We get some of that $4.00 per cap back in the means of advertising money.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »

Are you talking about the category that used to be call "on the bench" what is it now "Tiger Insider".... they get stuff like playing cards. this year they are getting a pen, desk calendar and Thermos Mug (all branded). Surely they are handing over around $80 they have to get something.

Lanyards cost peanuts to produce (lucky if they costs $0.20 each). Have to remember the more you make the cheaper they are  :thumbsup

Bottom line is sponsors want exposure - every week on the TV people in caps give sponsors massive exposure... that's why clubs do it.. that's why sponsors want it. Having those caps out there could be the difference between a sponsors handing over $1 mil a year to say $800k-$850k a year. I know which I'd prefer. When it comes to the caps - the sponsors hand over for the embroidery of THEIR logo not the entire cap

Also, any club would be making a profit on every membership sold so even if it costs $20 per member for the stuff you get then they are still making over a $100 profit per member. Profit per member is the key here not cost per member ;D

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
They might seem insignificant to some but I actually look forward to my little bits and pieces that come with my on the bench/tiger insider memberships. We get stuff all else Tiger related up here in NSW so I think they are well worthwhile. 

Anyway, Money doesn't buy you premierships. Just ask Carlton.  :lol