Author Topic: Wallace plots a premier dream  (Read 929 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace plots a premier dream
« on: November 14, 2004, 03:52:48 AM »
Wallace plots a premier dream
14 November 2004   
Sunday Herald Sun
JON RALPH

TERRY Wallace is under no illusions when it comes to Richmond's draft requirements -- he knows the Tigers need to select talent on every line.

Wallace says Richmond will be ruthless in only selecting draftees who fit into a pre-ordained blueprint for premiership success.

It is a formula Wallace has honed in his two years out of football and one he hopes will take him to premiership success.

"I have a blueprint that has every position on the ground and what I reckon the requirement is of every position," he said.

"That is what I believe a premiership team should look like and I am trying to fill the spots on that.

"We (have had) a discussion about making sure the players we are recruiting to the club actually fill this blueprint.

"It is something I have developed while I have been out of the game -- just sitting back and thinking about the bigger picture stuff."

Chief among the priorities for the Tigers' list are young key position players, even if their first picks are ultimately midfielders.

"I think when you are coming from 16th, you need a bit of everything," he said.

"When you see our side at the moment, we have got uncertainty down the spine, that is fair to say.

"We have got a couple of developing players. (Kyle) Archibald, who no one has seen yet, might be a player, and (Jay) Schulz, I think, can be a player, so we have got a couple of them who we see developing in the future.

"We would like another one or two of those types, we need some real genuine excitement in the midfield.

"We need some inside players who also have speed and ability to run the lines and overlap. We need a little bit of that, and also a developing ruckman (to go) with Stafford, who is 30.

"In which order, we have to decide. Which is the priority?"

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11381554%255E19771,00.html

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace plots a premier dream
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 06:04:44 AM »
"I have a blueprint that has every position on the ground and what I reckon the requirement is of every position," he said.

"That is what I believe a premiership team should look like and I am trying to fill the spots on that.

"We (have had) a discussion about making sure the players we are recruiting to the club actually fill this blueprint.

Don't tell me we actually are following a long-term plan at Tigerland lol  :thumbsup

But seriously part of that is versatility. The more option you have, say for example a midfielder who can push forward and be dangerous around goals like Browny, the harder for oppositions to match-up over the ground and shut you down. I'd guess that's the wraps on a Deledio and why he's expected to go number 1. Apart from his talent, he apparently can play in a multitude of positions.

"When you see our side at the moment, we have got uncertainty down the spine, that is fair to say.

An understatement thanks to Spud's legacy after 5 years of recruiting no young talls except Schulz :banghead
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd