Author Topic: Gale empathises with suffering Tiger fans (RFC)  (Read 2027 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gale empathises with suffering Tiger fans (RFC)
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
Gale empathises with suffering fans
By Mic Cullen
Wed 10 February, 2010

NEW RICHMOND CEO Brendon Gale has only been in the job for a few months but has already had some passionate Tigers supporters giving him a mouthful about the performance of the team, and he wasn't even running the show when the Tigers last played a game.

Gale took over in September from outgoing CEO Steven Wright, assuming control of a club that had won just five games for the year despite being strongly tipped to play finals after a strong finish to the 2008 season.

With membership numbers down, Gale was among a group of high-profile Tigers who were set the task of calling some 2009 members who were yet to sign up, in the hope that a personal plea would get them back on board.

But for some, it was the chance to have their say on the year gone, and Gale said he felt for the long-suffering supporters as he felt the brunt of their wrath.

"It's actually been a really inspiring exercise [calling up members] - you're out on the front-line," Gale said. "I've copped a few earfuls, but I'm really overwhelmed by the passion and loyalty, I'm overwhelmed.

"I do have empathy [with them], because I want what they want.

"We're a club with such a strong history of success that we define our success in terms of premierships. We haven't won one since 1980, so clearly we've been unsuccessful, but I think our people, their expectations remain high, they maintain the rage."

The 41-year-old said consistency of performance - from the field to the front office to the back office - was key to the Tigers regaining the respect that had dwindled over the last 30 years without a flag, and that harnessing the passion of Tigers supporters was also an imperative.

Gale - who is a life member at the club after playing 244 games in the yellow and black - moved to Punt Rd after a stint as the CEO of the AFL Players' Association, and said running a football club was a vastly different proposition to looking after the welfare of players.

Gale said while there was a higher level of accountability at the AFLPA, being responsible for the players that he represented, running a football club meant you were responsible for the hopes of 500,000 supporters and more than 40,000 members.

"When you're a player you think that footy is about running out each week and playing footy, but you realise when you get a job in administration that the playing experience is the most important part of the footy club, but there's so many other aspects of the club that are very important," Gale said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89356/default.aspx

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Gale empathises with suffering Tiger fans (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »
I know they want to get people who haven't re-signed to re-sign but...

For those us who renew year after year...gee it would benice to be recognised for it and thanked for it

How about calling a few loyalist
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »
a mid wife once told me its the babies that cry and scream that get the cuddles and attention from staff,the ones that go about their business quietly get nada.
to quote a well known philosopher....."such is life"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »
"We're a club with such a strong history of success that we define our success in terms of premierships. We haven't won one since 1980, so clearly we've been unsuccessful, but I think our people, their expectations remain high, they maintain the rage."
We once did have a strong history of success and once did define that success by premierships but that was so long ago we have a generation of supporters who never witnessed it to have such high expectations. I bet some supporters now would be fairly contented with just a couple of decent regular finals appearances let alone flags rather than seeing most years being effectively over early in the season year after year. What seems to tick supporters off the most is we've been so below average for so long in an era where the draft and salary cap was designed to even things up so every club had a period in finals where half the teams qualify. Too many false dawns thanks to our own stupidity repeating the same mistakes over and over again has burnt too many supporters. It's probably going to take actually playing regular finals and quite possibly winning a flag first before we can convince them to sign on. They'll want proof of a change in club culture and performance rather than just words and promises.

The 41-year-old said consistency of performance - from the field to the front office to the back office - was key to the Tigers regaining the respect that had dwindled over the last 30 years without a flag, and that harnessing the passion of Tigers supporters was also an imperative.
The inept round 1 display onwards last year just reminded supporters especially those on the membership-fringe that what they had seen for the past three decades hadn't changed. 2009 hurt the club more than just the humiliating loss(es) on-field. The latent supporter base that started to come out of the woodwork thanks to all the preseason hype jumped off the bandwagon as quickly as they hopped on it.

Poor Benny would've copped an earful ringing up lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
I'm sick of somone from the club empathising with us.
Get it right then you can celebrate with us.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:34:41 PM »

Its all about engagement Tucker.  They need to engage with the supporter base to sell memberships and the first step in engagement is to empathize.  Stock standard stuff.  Not that I don't agree with you, I just know what he is doing and why.

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »
lol yeah there screaming alright, now they send out text messages saying they are from Damien Hardwick, what a laugh
Whats even funny is when l received the text message Damien was standing about 30 feet away & never had a phone on him hahaha  ;D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »

Its all about engagement Tucker.  They need to engage with the supporter base to sell memberships and the first step in engagement is to empathize.  Stock standard stuff.  Not that I don't agree with you, I just know what he is doing and why.

I know Smokey they are behind on memberships based on last years level and don't want to fall further behind by the time round 1 rolls around so I can appreciate what they are trying to do but I think this regime needs to get it right as to keep hearing the same positive messages and vibes from the club  off field only to see the tatters on field will frustrate anyones psyche. 13 years as a member and 1 finals series. 2 finals series since we won the flag when I was in Grade Prep is awful.

My patience needs to hold out for a few more years ;D

jackstar is back again

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »

For those us who renew year after year...gee it would benice to be recognised for it and thanked for it

Post of the year , so far ! :clapping

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Well its still early days...(Just kidding WP!  ;D)

Jack just wondering which part of this comment is it that you most identify with?? Loyalist? or need for recognition??
I think most here may know the answer to this one...

jackstar is back again

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:27:40 PM »

Jack just wondering which part of this comment is it that you most identify with?? Loyalist? or need for recognition??

Both actually :thumbsup

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 06:44:24 PM »

Jack, I think most posters on OER recognise you for what you are.

;)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:44:08 PM »

Jack, I think most posters on OER recognise you for what you are.

;)

Nothing to do with me,
recognition for the people who put there "'hard earned "" into the club , only to have the club ask for more,   :banghead
Loyalty, for those who have supported the mighty tiges through family generations andto regularly turn up week in, week out , interstate of the G.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
Jack,

Do you like the way the club is moving with Damian Hardwick?
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
When I saw that Jack had posted in this thread I said to myself, "I bet there's a  :banghead emoticon in one of his posts".

I was right.  :thumbsup