Author Topic: Hardwick: Tigers will improve (Sportal - including audio)  (Read 3287 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick: Tigers will improve (Sportal - including audio)
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
Hardwick: Tigers will improve
12/02/2010 12:47 PM
Paul Gough
Sportal

New Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has warned fans not to judge his new-look team too early, saying the Tigers will only improve on whatever they show first-up against Hawthorn in Saturday night's NAB Cup opener in Launceston.

As Hardwick - a premiership player with Essendon and Port Adelaide who served his coaching apprenticeship under Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn - admitted he will attempt to mould his team in much the same manner as Clarkson did at Hawthorn, he warned it will take him time to rebuild the struggling Tigers.

We can only post a snippet from Sportal so click the link for the full article:
http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/tigers-will-improve-85772
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:37:32 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hadwick: Tigers will improve (Sportal - including audio)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »
Here's the 3m 41s audio of Hardwick's interview

http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio/AFL/hardwick-nervous-and-excited-7291

Some idiot journo called him Darren  :stupid ...... edit: it was Cowen from Ch 10.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
Summary

* Nervous or excited - can't tell the difference. Looking forward to playing Hawthorn. Just pleasing to see how we'll go against a quality side.

* There is no doubt our club is in a transformation phase. You bring in 14 new players and we have got new facilities and a new staff so it is a period of adjustment but one we have started and one we are going to continue to build on.

* The great thing about this group is their willingness to learn but they are still coming to terms with a lot of the stuff so it may take one month, six months, 12 months but eventually it will all click.

* It may look like an intra-club (laughs) as I'll certainly take some things from his time at Hawthorn but he's also take things from his days at Essendon and Port. There'll be subtle differences you will see.

* Expectations for tomorrow night - just wants us to be hard at the ball. Especially looking at our ball movement and defensively looking at things. Times we'll do it well and times we won't. A learning experience and a chance to test ourselves over the next 5 weeks

* Offensively the boys can play although decision making can improve. However defensively we were quite poor so it's something we've addressed over summer.

* Polak has exceeded Hardwick's expectations thus far given we and Polly himself weren't sure .

* Jon Ralph said Martin is dominating around stoppages pushing people off so the media are keen to see him. Hardwick though played a straight bat saying there's 5 other kids playing as well as Martin.

* Ralph said we'll get smashed tomorrow night against Hawthorn but as long as we play some attacking footy and play kids then that's the main thing.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »
Its like 'Groundhog Day' with Dimma's interviews.

I swear he gives the exact same answer to questions in at least his last 3 interviews.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
And you'll probably hear it again and again.  ;D Theres only so many things that can be said on the same subject without starting to talk bull sh!te
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
Its like 'Groundhog Day' with Dimma's interviews.

I swear he gives the exact same answer to questions in at least his last 3 interviews.

For 30 years weve heard coaches chop and change answers as to what we're trying to do, what we're trying to achieve, how we intend to achieve, why we havent succeeded and why we fail. If Hardwick stays consistently on message, then he will have done everyone a favor. Richmond supporters are sick of the Bulltish, atleast we have a coach who knows what he wants and sticks with it.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:54:25 PM »

For 30 years weve heard coaches chop and change answers as to what we're trying to do, what we're trying to achieve, how we intend to achieve, why we havent succeeded and why we fail. If Hardwick stays consistently on message, then he will have done everyone a favor. Richmond supporters are sick of the Bulltish, atleast we have a coach who knows what he wants and sticks with it.

No real problem, just wish someone would save me 5 minutes of my time by saying that it is from the same script.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »
Well said Ramps :clapping

The first year of a new coach is the most important. While in his honeymoon period it is his chance to set boundaries, structures and build strong foundations for the future. Get it wrong and the coach will be out on his ear in a couple of years time. Hardwick is pushing a strong discipline and consistency code to the players. Add the fact we haven't yet played a game and the journos keep asking basically the same questions then there's no surprise Dimma's answers are similar in every interview.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
If Hardwick stays consistently on message, then he will have done everyone a favor.

Agree and very well said.
As long as the players get what Dimma is saying drilled into their heads I will be happy.

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Hardwick: Tigers will improve (Sportal - including audio)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 11:21:58 AM »
Damian does not need to say anything else and I for one am pleased with the repetitiveness. It's his chance to shine and he has the upper hand in relations to the board as they went through their exhaustive search and apointed him so if he was undermined it would fall on the boards ineptness not Damian's.

A real chance for Damian to shine and implement all his rules and futere ambitions on the players and club. Would love to see him continue providing the same answers to the media whenever we start winning matches. Keep playing the straight bat Damian.