Author Topic: Pick #4  (Read 2044 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Pick #4
« on: November 16, 2004, 03:39:29 AM »
Assuming Deledio and Tambling will go 1 & 2, who or what type should we go after with pick 4 out of the group expected to go next? 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

Re: Pick #4
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 08:19:27 AM »
I think Roughhead should be the pick, heard him on SEN yesterday and he sounds pretty comfortable with his profile at the moment. He spoke very well and by all accounts he is pretty hard at it(ala Jonathon Brown).

He hasnt been playing the game for that long also and will probably have a bit of improvement left in him.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 08:48:17 AM »
I'd like to think Roughead, but having heard miller and wallace speak i think they will be going for Wood as we need the premier ruckman in the draft to bolster our talls.

Life goes on

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 09:32:53 AM »
Wood !

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 09:58:59 AM »
By all accounts Wood is overated and there is no way we should waste a pick 4 on an overated ruckman or a ruckman for that matter.  I would go for either Griffen or Roughead.  Go for the best available with the early picks and make up the numbers later on.  We've got picks 12, 16, 20 to find a ruckman.   
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 12:22:15 PM »
Was hoping Tambling would still be around at Pick 4!
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 03:13:28 PM »
I would go for either Griffen or Roughead.  Go for the best available with the early picks and make up the numbers later on.  We've got picks 12, 16, 20 to find a ruckman.   

I agree Harry but I'd reckon the Club is concerned that Wood, Deluca and Meesen will be gone by pick 12. The footydraft.com site has us picking up a ruckman at pick 12.

1.  Richmond - Brett Deledio (Mur)
   2. Hawthorn - Richard Tambling (NT)
   3. Western Bulldogs - Ryan Griffen (SA)
   4. Richmond - Jarryd Roughead (Gip)
   5. Hawthorn - Lance Franklin (WA)
   6. Western Bulldogs - Tom Williams (Qld)
   7. Hawthorn - John Meesen (Gee)
   8. Adelaide - Angus Monfries (SA)
   9. Carlton - Cameron Wood (SA)
  10. Collingwood - Matthew Bate (Eas)
  11. Port Adelaide - Danny Meyer (SA)
  12. Richmond - Fabian Deluca (Eas)
  13. Melbourne - Ruory Kirkby (Ben)
  14. Essendon - Ryan Willits (Nor)
  15. Melbourne - Heath Grundy (SA)
  16. Richmond - Jordan Lewis (Gee)
  17. St Kilda - Thomas Murphy (San)
  18. Brisbane Lions - Ben Eckerman (SA)
  19. Port Adelaide - Alan Toovey (WA)
  20. Richmond - Ben Sharp (Oak)

36. Richmond - Matt Little (Cal)
52. Richmond - Byron Murphy (VFL)
65. Richmond - Mark Porter (Kan)
72. Richmond - Pass

footydraft.com

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 03:50:11 PM »
Hope we pick Lewis at 12.

Apparently he is a tough nut.............and don't we need one of those more than a ruckman?

(though I do like staff's unsuspended elbows) :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 09:26:29 PM »
Hope we pick Lewis at 12.

Apparently he is a tough nut.............and don't we need one of those more than a ruckman?

We still need to draft a young ruckman as they take longer to develop than midfielders on top of a  back-up ruckman for 2005 just in case Simmo or Staff go down. I agree HT we also need a toughnut in the midfield and Lewis definitely fits that bill. The only question mark on him is he's a left footer when we have too many already (although he's apparently got very good foot skills which Wallace would love). If he's one sided (I don't know if he is or isn't) then he'll get found out at AFL level. One thing for sure is he gets plenty of footy and he's Victorian.

Here's the write up on him and Roughead:

Jordan Lewis

Club: Warrnambool/Geelong
DOB: 24 April 1986 Hgt: 186cm Wgt: 87kg
Position: Onballer
Natural Foot: Left

Honours:
Victoria Country 2004
All Austrlian 2004
Rover in TAC Cup Team of the Year 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

TAC Stats:
2003: 16 games, 3 goals, 19.1 PPG
2004: 16 games, 16 goals, 30.9 PPG

Strengths: Lewis a strong onballer who has had a sensational season in the TAC Cup, averaging over 30 possessions a game, including 85 in two weeks just before the carnival. He is a good size for AFL and very strong in the hips, and his disposal is very good by foot.

Jordan loves a goal and is capable of kicking some freakish snaps. He is also very physical and can dish out some great bumps. His bump on Fabian Deluca in the National Carnival was an absolute belter. He is a very good mark as well.

Weaknesses: Not super quick, although he does cover a lot of territory and there have been questions about his work ethic, although he has improved in this area.

Footydraft.com comment: I like this kid, he has the runs on the board and is very hard at it.

http://www.footydraft.com/players.php?player=jordan_lewis

Jarryd Roughead

Club: Leongatha/Gippsland
DOB: 23 January 1987 Hgt: 193cm Wgt: 85kg
Position: Centre Half Forward
Natural Foot: Left

Honours:
AIS/AFL Academy 2003
Victoria Country 2004
Forward Pocket in TAC Cup Team of the Year 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

TAC Stats:
2003: 1 game, 1 goal, 13.0 PPG
2004: 16 games, 43 goals, 19.1 PPG

Strengths: Roughead is an exciting tall prospect who can play either as a centre-half forward or centre-half back. He is a fantastic mark, takes a lot of one-grab marks and reads the flight of the ball very well. ‘Roughie’ has fantastic mobility for a big man and covers a lot of territory during a game. He is very good below his knees for his size, and is able to kick some clever goals on the run.

Jarryd is a very versatile player with a massive leap and plenty of potential in him. He is a booming left foot kick and really works hard.

Weaknesses: Decision making would have to be the main query at this stage – can tend to kick without looking or take the wrong option. Can also be slightly unaccountable when playing in defence.

Footydraft.com comment: There is plenty to work with and Roughead looks like one of the best tall prospects in the draft. His goal kicking ability will definitely interest the Hawks.

http://www.footydraft.com/players.php?player=jarryd_roughead