Author Topic: Cousins rushed to hospital (SEN)  (Read 7094 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Cousins rushed to hospital (SEN)
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »
Cousins still a chance for round one
richmondfc.com.au
By Matt Burgan
6:41 PM Thu 18 March, 2010

RICHMOND captain Chris Newman expects Brownlow Medallist Ben Cousins to play in the season-opener against Carlton at the MCG next Thursday night, despite having recently been in hospital for an abdominal issue.

Newman said the former West Coast captain is "feeling OK" and at this stage should line up against the Blues.

"I've spoken to him over the course of the week and he seemed like he was a little bit flat and obviously in a little bit of pain," Newman said from the AFL captains' day at Etihad Stadium on Thursday.

"I'm not sure of what the official diagnosis was, but all I know is that he trained this morning and trained really well and he was upbeat. He's like he's back to his normal self.

"I'd expect him to [play]. We'll have to see how he pulls up, but certainly by this morning's standards I think he's ready to go … hopefully he's right to go."

On Tuesday, it was reported that Richmond had spoken to Cousins about a binge drinking problem. But Newman said innuendo surrounding Cousins and that story was false.

"I think he's used to that stuff, but we're obviously there for him and we were obviously just really surprised with the article, but that's just what happens sometimes," Newman said.

"We know the truth internally."

Newman said rumours of an impending book release by Cousins hadn't distracted the players.

"I haven't thought about the book for one second, so I doubt any of the other boys have," he said.

Now entering his second season as Richmond captain, Newman conceded 2009 was a tough year to debut as skipper. But he believes it taught him plenty as well.

"There were times when it was tough - there's no doubt about that and I went through some of the most challenging times of my life last year," he said.

"I think I was really lucky to be at a club that was so supportive in that time and I've probably got some guys that I can refer back to and some past captains I can reflect on.

"It was a difficult time, but one that I don't regret."

One change from this time last year is the build up to round one, when the Cousins and Chris Judd clash was whipped up by the media. The end result was also shattering for the Tigers, after the Blues thrashed them by 83 points.

"It's a little bit different," Newman said of the lead up to this year's season opener.

"Obviously there was huge expectation on us last year in the first round and obviously the Ben Cousins factor, so it's a different feeling.

"We're going into the game a little bit quieter this time."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90737/default.aspx

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »

"It was a difficult time, but one that I don't regret."

Onya Newie. Leads us on post Wallet.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »
Good to here he is better, thought he would be ok come round 1...... fingers crossed.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Cousins right to play against the Blues (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09:36 AM »
Ben Cousins right to play against the Blues

* Jon Ralph
  * Herald Sun
  * March 19, 2010

RICHMOND captain Chris Newman says an amazing recovery from stomach pains has put Ben Cousins on track for a Round 1 clash with Carlton.

Newman yesterday mocked claims Cousins had been warned over binge drinking, and said it had played no role in the 31-year-old being in hospital twice.

The club is still unaware of exactly what has plagued Cousins, but after all but ruling him out on Monday, is now considering him for the season opener.

"He trained this morning really and seemed like he was back to his normal self. At this stage I would expect him to play in Round 1," he said.

"I am not really sure on the official diagnosis, but he was in a bad way for a week or so with the stomach pains recurring. It seemed just a bit of a tummy ache and the boys have been ribbing him ever since.

"He was up and about this morning. The way he was going, he was pretty vibrant.

"I would expect him to play. I would be pretty surprised if he didn't."

Newman said he had never seen Cousins warned about excessive drinking despite claims the club was concerned.

"I think it's unfair when it's not true, that's for sure," he said.

"It was really unfair, especially in the condition he was in, he probably didn't need that.'

"When it's not true all you can do is laugh about it and move on.

"It's not an issue inside our walls, that's for sure. By the way he plays, he sets an a pretty high example for the younger guys coming through.

"He's a really important player for us."

In just six days the Tigers will take on a Carlton unit missing captain Chris Judd and former star Brendan Fevola.

And while bookies have the Tigers favourites for this year's wooden spoon, Newman said the club was optimistic about the season ahead.

"It always takes the pressure off to get early wins," he said.

"We are a young group, we will just have to wait and see how it pans out."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-right-to-play-against-the-blues/story-e6frf9jf-1225842573988