Author Topic: Draft only 3 days away...  (Read 2297 times)

PuntRdRoar

Draft only 3 days away...
« on: November 17, 2004, 09:41:22 PM »
Well the draft is less than 3 days away. 5 picks in the top 20. Im sure people here are really excited by the prospect. Lets hope supporters dont all turn feral when they read the read ups in Mondays paper. Anyways...Ive been busy with work, nevertheless continue to take an interest in whats been said in papers and on radio and in here. Anyways...from what i can see...the wave of public- especially amongst the RFC faithful is for a Brett Deledio at 1 call on Saturday morning. Ive also been interested to see that Jarryd Roughead who early on was considered a top 3 and then who fell down the order a little bit seems to have re-emerged as a big possibility at pick 4. I suppose itll be interesting to see who we take at 4 if tambling or griffen are still around, but it does make sense to take a  tall at 4. Also interested to note that Wood seems to have fallen in the estimates of afew experts. Also noticed on of my smokies has made a late run for a top 10- Jordan Russell from SA. As Ive mentioned before the crop of South Australians this year is really good. People continue to tell me that Reddin and Juniper will be good players even though not much mentioned alot. I'd also like to see us take someone like Chad Gibson around 12-20 area if possible.

Also starting to get a profile is a young half back type- Tim Hill.Seen him play...he actually goes ok- think he could be ok at half back- plenty of speed. One I havent seen...but who has gotten afew writeups is a kid still at school...Matthew Laidlaw- another half back/running type. If anyone has seen laidlaw play...can you give us a summary please.

Final summation from my point of view is that Id like to see RFC end up with a group that Includes- Deledio, Roughead or Wood, Russell, Gibson, Reddin, Juniper, Hill and Laidlaw. Its a good young group of young key position types, plenty of midfielders with speed.I wouldnt probably take a ruckman if Wood is taken by someone else. We should just pick one up in the psd and worry about a  developing ruckman next year!

Anyone have any thoughts on what I have said today...Id be interested!

Bulluss

Re: Draft only 3 days away...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 09:52:22 PM »
Ramps,

I would hate to see us waste pick 4 on a ruckman. There are far more important players to fill our needs(i.e midfield, kp) than a ruckman.

Just look at the way Essendon have continue to use recycled ruckman over the last 5 years or so. I think that it is a very overrate position.

Deledio and Roughead for mine at 1 and 4

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 12:33:25 PM »
Just read burgatron or whatever his name is with his AFL phantom draft...Well for all its worth I suppose Im not that far off.

Deledio at 1 seems a shoe in
Roughead at 4 seems likely but he also sees Meeson as a possibility.
He has Russell going at top 10 meaning we miss out at 12 but hopefully he will fall slightly.
Gibson a possibility at 12 for us. Really pleased if we get him but was hoping hed be available at 16 rather than 12.
Willits named as Selection 20...not sure whether I like this one...but at 20 it seems a fair call.

Lets hope when the names get called on saturday its something like

Deledio- 1
Roughead-4
Russell-12
Gibson-16

then beyond that I would hope we still look at guys like Reddin, Juniper Hill and Laidlaw.

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 12:42:47 PM »
If Tambling was still around at 4 I would be very surprised if we did not snap him up.

We must go for the best possible player available at the time - I know we need talls but there are a few around and we do have 5 picks in the top 20. :thumbsup

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 02:11:06 PM »
Please.............my first player that I fell in love with was Michael Mitchell........if by chance Michael Mitchell mark II is available at Pick 4.....WE MUST GET HIM!
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 02:27:26 PM »
Lewis as our third pick if he is there :thumbsup

Life goes on

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 05:13:10 PM »
1/ Deledio
2/ Roughead
3/ Griffin
4/ Tambling

See what happens !

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 05:27:39 PM »
Having picked up 2 midfielders with 1 and 4 last year I think that the dogs would go for a KPP at 3 as they could well miss out on any quality KPP by 6.  Also, due to Cooney refusing to sign an extension on his contract that expires next year, they would be nervous of him wanting to go home, which would also make them hesitant in picking up Franklin.  So my gues would be that they would take Roughead at 3.

Therefore my guess is -

1. Deledio
2. Tambling
3. Roughead
4. Griffen (I think we would go for Roughead if available, but not Franklin, and aim to get KPP's at 12 and 16 and a ruck at 20 - this is what I hope anyway)
5. Franklin
6. midfielder ??
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 07:07:46 PM »
RT, some of the SA kids you've mentioned have been pushing up the phantom draft. Russell was classed a late-30s only 2 weeks back and now the "experts" are saying he'll a first rounder even top 10! Redden's moved up to mid 20s. I heard his in-between size is stopping him dropping any further.

I'll have a guess for Saturday :

1. Deledio
2. Tambling
3. Griffen (I wouldn't be surprised if the doggies take a KP here but if they pick Williams at 6 then can go with a midfielder)
4. Roughead (take a KP after a midfielder)
5. Franklin
6. Williams
7. Wood
8. Grundy
9. Meesen
10. Monfries
11. Meyer
12. Russell/Lewis/Bate (midfielder)
13. "
14. "
15. Kirkby (Dees need a FB)
16. Deluca
17. Willitts (Saints need to bolster their defence)
18. Dunn (Brissy needs to replace Lynch).
19. Egan
20. Gibson (KP)

36. Jackson (midfielder/onballer)
52. Juniper (Utility/KP)
65?. Graham (desperation pick for a temporary defender  :P)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 07:35:13 PM »
Problems are picks 12 to 20 for us.

Picks 12 and 16 are in no mans land for us. But Ill be praying like you wont believe that Jordan Russell is available at 12 and Gibson at 16. If not we could end up having a completely crap draft. Its a bit of a hero or zero draft this year. Anyway all I hope is that our recruiters dont lose the plot psychologically on saturday morning. Dont go looking for things that arent there- especially with picks 12 to 20.

If we have Deledio, Roughead, Russell, Gibson and maybe Lewis at 20 then thats a great draft. If we start seeing names like De Luca and Willits...then its goodnight nurse...might as well turn off the lights and play more golf on weekends!

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 01:24:35 PM »
Please.............my first player that I fell in love with was Michael Mitchell........if by chance Michael Mitchell mark II is available at Pick 4.....WE MUST GET HIM!

Do you reckon we could convince Browny to take 13 or 14 and give 7 to Tambling - woooo hoooo  :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 06:35:31 PM »

Do you reckon we could convince Browny to take 13 or 14 and give 7 to Tambling - woooo hoooo  :cheers

I was thinking along similar lines CUB. If it wasn't set for the captain, give Tambling No. 17 in the steps of Rioli  :)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd