Author Topic: How can we measure success this year?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
How can we measure success this year?
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
This is year is going to be a struggle plain and simple - at out current stage of 'transformation' I don't think we can possibly measure our improvement or any success based on our win/loss record.

So, with that in mind, what should be our key indicators? I believe they should be measurable targets and goals.

Key Indicators

New Recruits Game Time
Goal -  50 games or more from our first year players
I think throughout the year the aim should be to get as much time as possible into the young players as possible. Given this year is about developing players for the future and we have 14 new recruits (10 of which are on our main list now I believe ???) I would suggest an average of 5 games per player, assuming some such as Martin will play most of the season where others may not play a game).

I don't think you could expect much more from 1st year players but given our focus on over player development and reduced numbers of mature players, I think this target is more than generous.

Is this fair?

Anyone else have a realistic goal????

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: How can we measure success this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Key Indicators

New Recruits Game Time
Goal -  2 players or more kicking 30+ goals and one player kicking 60+  
I believe our key forwards need to collectively step up but at the same time we need a better spread of goal scorers. Players such as Morton should kick 30 goals standing on his head while, if he sees out the most of the season, I can easily see Roberts kicking that amount too. Nahas could jump up and kick over the 30 mark while out two bigger forwards in Riewoldt and Polak need to stand up and kick 60+ this year. I can't this Polak achieving this so my hope is Jack benefits from less defensive attention, kicks straighter and kicks that number.

I fear the pressure needs to be there. Jack may still be young, Roberts only just off the rookie list, Nahas a year in, Polak lucky to be alive and Morton afforded more defensive pressure than a small forward usually would but if we want to continue to improve as a side we need goals and we need a working offensive team.

If these players do not meet these targets then I would say it leaves the gate open for Griffiths, Astbury and Taylor. Their fate, and the fate of our team, rests in their own hands.

Stripes

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »
The only other measure I could think of would be that by R22 we have something like 6-8 first and second year players in our top 22. This would make it much easier to trim some of the list cloggers

I think you measure of 50 games is a bit lite. I would expect we would average 3 first year players in the team each week which would be 66 games.  I think a target of 70 would be a outcome I would prefer to see.

I also think there will be many personal target/indicators the players will have or be given but we will never know those. Going to be tough year thats for sure.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »
New Recruits Game Time
Goal -  2 players or more kicking 30+ goals and one player kicking 60+  [/u

Big ask IMHO.

Would rather 4-5 players up and around the 30 mark.

Mooney only kicked 46 for the Cats last year - and that included finals I think. But the likes of Chapman, Hawkins, Ablett, Johnson chipped in as well. Now obviously if you have players of the quality of Franklin, N. Riewoldt or J. Brown and a settled system, then you have players who can kick 60, 80+, but I don't think Jack is anywhere near that stage and it will take some time with a new forward system.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
Our Percentage will be interesting this year given that we may only win a handful of games.

Below 75% and its fair to assume we were a diabolical mess.

If we can keep the percentage above 80 then you could say that our young team has shown some spunk.

Unleash the tornado

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »
Our Percentage will be interesting this year given that we may only win a handful of games.

Below 75% and its fair to assume we were a diabolical mess.

If we can keep the percentage above 80 then you could say that our young team has shown some spunk.

Good call. Would let us know how often we just gave in and let a loss blow out and how often we fought regardless of the scoreline. If we can't win through our experience and size we should at least aim to focus on our attitude and pride.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
The only other measure I could think of would be that by R22 we have something like 6-8 first and second year players in our top 22. This would make it much easier to trim some of the list cloggers

I think you measure of 50 games is a bit lite. I would expect we would average 3 first year players in the team each week which would be 66 games.  I think a target of 70 would be a outcome I would prefer to see.

I also think there will be many personal target/indicators the players will have or be given but we will never know those. Going to be tough year thats for sure.

I can easily see the likes of Roberts, Astbury, Taylor, Dea, Nason and Farmer being in our Round 22 side. Griffiths could be a start as well as could Gourdis if he continues to step up int he backline. If you include Thomson and Vickery would played very little last year we would almost have a completely new team.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
New Recruits Game Time
Goal -  2 players or more kicking 30+ goals and one player kicking 60+  [/u

Big ask IMHO.

Would rather 4-5 players up and around the 30 mark.

Mooney only kicked 46 for the Cats last year - and that included finals I think. But the likes of Chapman, Hawkins, Ablett, Johnson chipped in as well. Now obviously if you have players of the quality of Franklin, N. Riewoldt or J. Brown and a settled system, then you have players who can kick 60, 80+, but I don't think Jack is anywhere near that stage and it will take some time with a new forward system.

I take your point but sooner rather than later we need big forwards to step up. Jack is the obvious one and hopefully is a few years Griffith and Astbury do likewise. I just hope Morton isn't our No. 1 goal kicker again this year otherwise we have made little to no progress int he forwardline structurally.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »
With any measuring device as long as it displays millimeters.  ;)

I don't expect our forward line will have many opportunities to shine this season but when they do, I hope their conversion rate will improve and provide more options through the likes of Roberts & Co. I would also like to see us improve our kick outs and getting outside the defensive half with an under 3 disposals average. Not sure what it is currently but I would suggest its more like 5 or 6 disposals If we can get the ball to our midfield more directly, we would have to improve.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
I'll use something a bit different to measure.  If we can increase the number of 5-6 goal quarters a) from last season, and b) over this season, then I will be happy.  That will tell me that we are improving and putting together the type of football that wins most games.  I'll also take notice of the tackle count and 1%ers, both good indicators to whether we have increased our hardness at the ball.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
1. Ample game time to the kids.
2. Stability off the field
3. Loyalty and understanding from fans regarding the rebuilding
4. Getting rid of more list cloggers in October-November
5. Drafting the best available player based on structural needs
6. Winning and losing is academic this year its how we go about it.
7. Staying true to the structures planned and spoken about with no deviations.
8. No off field embarassing situations.
9. On time completion of social club.
10.Staying positive on and off the field. 2013 is only 3 years away.

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:45:28 PM »
for me success will be how many "long term" players we uncover this year that will help form the nucleus of our side for years to come. ATM i believe we have 12 bonafide afl standard players I think will be there over the next 5-8 years. Add another 6-7 this year and I will count it a success. Another 5-7 the year after and again the following year and in 3 years time you have a side with close to 30 AFL standard players -  from there you can start talking about making a serious long term finals assault.

Aside from seeing how the large number of new lads will go, of equal importance is finding out once and for all if players like Polo, Connors, Edwards, McGuane,Thursfield, Moore and others of that vintage belong with us long term.

the claw

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:57:31 PM »
is it a trick question surely it should ask how do we measure improvement.
very hard to measure success when you have yet to bottom out.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »
is it a trick question surely it should ask how do we measure improvement.
very hard to measure success when you have yet to bottom out.

Success can be measured in many form claw. Obviously our win/loss ratio is not a factor this year nor is our ladder position come year's end. If we bottom out this year it should not be on the back of total failure across the board. If this is the case then we would need to clear the decks from the admin down but I don't believe that would happen. Their is always a silver lining and I'm looking for it. Regardless of how we perform against other teams their always has to be goals and targets and I would suggest we have some realistic measures above.

I agree with you tony in regards to our 'mid-age' group (well mid-age for our list at least ;)) in Polo, Connors, Thursfield and co. These guys need to step up quickly lest they be taken over by the younger brigade. When under performing players are quickly exited from the list because their is an abundance of talent fighting for their spot, we will be much healthy as a team. Players such as Polo, Connor, Thursty and even Gus have teased us with potential for too long  - it should be you begin to perform now or you're out.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 03:26:29 AM »
for me success will be how many "long term" players we uncover this year that will help form the nucleus of our side for years to come. ATM i believe we have 12 bonafide afl standard players I think will be there over the next 5-8 years. Add another 6-7 this year and I will count it a success. Another 5-7 the year after and again the following year and in 3 years time you have a side with close to 30 AFL standard players -  from there you can start talking about making a serious long term finals assault.
Spot on TM. We want to see who will be around in 2013-14 and taking us to regular finals and eventually a flag. The more quality youth coming in and showing they can more than cut it at AFL level then the more and faster we can keep turning over our list each year to clear out the list cloggers nowhere up to it and replace them with more quality youth.

This year will be ugly in terms of losses and ladder position but there'll be a long-term silver lining if the cubs should ability at AFL level. They'll come good in a couple of years while in the meantime bottom finishes means we can collect more top talent from early picks (pick 4 is still a top pick while picks 27 and 44? are decent) and smart trading (to gain another decent pick).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd