Author Topic: Tambling's time to roar (Age)  (Read 2642 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tambling's time to roar (Age)
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:19:59 AM »
Tambling's time to roar
JON PIERIK
March 21, 2010

RICHMOND skipper Chris Newman said the time had come for midfielder Richard Tambling to emerge as a leader and help the club avoid another year of pain.

Tambling, 23, has been a strong performer through the practice match campaign.

In a team now bereft of experience since the departures of Joel Bowden, Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown, the Tigers will look to players such as Tambling, preparing for his sixth season, to fill the void.

"He is one of those we are talking about who can step up and show some leadership around the club,'' Newman said.

Tambling, taken with the fourth pick of the 2004 draft, one spot ahead of Lance Franklin, has endured often unfavorable comparisons with the Hawthorn superstar.

Tambling's accuracy by foot and his decision-making have been questioned, but last year he delivered his best season, averaging 21.5 touches and finishing fourth in the best and fairest - one spot behind Newman and just in front of Ben Cousins.

The Tigers' new look under coach Damien Hardwick will almost certainly mean several rookies will be unveiled against Carlton in the season-opener on Thursday night at the MCG.

Midfielder Dustin Martin, the club's top pick in last year's national draft, appears set to head the cast, while midfielders Jeromey Webberley and Ben Nason and indigenous forward Troy Taylor have also impressed.

It's these new faces the Tigers hope can ultimately deliver on the club's ambitious plan to reap three premierships in the next 10 years.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/tamblings-time-to-roar-20100320-qnbr.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tambling's time to roar (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:56:56 AM »
Richie played a number of fine games last season and showed what he is capable of but now needs to deliver that level consistently. If he can he will be considered a very good player.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »
Actually I don't think if we have seen the best of Tambling, but I'm unsure if we ever will, sadly.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

TigerTimeII

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:22:24 AM »
Actually I don't think if we have seen the best of Tambling, but I'm unsure if we ever will, sadly.

tambling will overtake deledio in the next 2-3 yrs wait and see

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »

Careful. You aren't allowed to criticise Lids here. ;)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »

i can assure you that wont happen. He doesnt have the balls to take the game on, he always seems so timid out there

Tambo will be a serviceable player thats about it. Much like Wells
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »
Well for all you Tambling knockers lets just wait and see what he is capable of when played in tghe position he should be in and the rest of the team support him on field. FFS he has been in the back line most games, how the hell can you shine down there when we are always being thumped?? He did what he could!

Lets see how good he is when playing in the centre!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »

no chance, serviceable at best

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »
i hope he proves me wrong but... he  will never be what we should have had  :-\

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »
no chance, serviceable at best

Even if this is the case(I hope that he achieves more obviously), I still believe Tambling is capable of being a premiership player and carving out at least a solid career even if the flag doesn't eventuate.
That's more than most number 4 picks have achieved since the draft was introduced. He's already done more than most already.
Personally I have no issue if he ends up being just a good HBF and at this stage consider him on par with the guy taken before him in the 2004 draft.
Much like Griffin has at the Dogs, Bling (like Deledio) I believe needs a better spread of quality on the park and the microscope won't be on him/them so much.
So much rides on too few at Tigerland.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:21:39 PM by Mr Magic »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »
So much rides on too few at Tigerland.

Never has a truer word been spoken  :clapping :clapping

Actually the above would go close to being the quote of 2010 if not ever
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »
Tambling needs to be influentual during matches!

:)

the claw

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »
Richie played a number of fine games last season and showed what he is capable of but now needs to deliver that level consistently. If he can he will be considered a very good player.
agree he showed he can play at a high level the key is now consistency.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »
Well for all you Tambling knockers lets just wait and see what he is capable of when played in tghe position he should be in and the rest of the team support him on field. FFS he has been in the back line most games, how the hell can you shine down there when we are always being thumped?? He did what he could!

Lets see how good he is when playing in the centre!!!!
WA Tiger????
Last year was not his first year WA, he has been tryed in almost every possi on the ground and has stunk in all in his previous 4 years. I'm not a knocker of his i just go to games and see him fumble and miss targets all day long. Blame whoever you like and whatever you like WA but the facts are there. The guy needs to improve if we are to improve. He has had long enough to feel comfortable at the club and in the state, he needs to live upto his potential and start winning games for the RFC like we all heard he could when we trafted him.
I hope Thursday night is the start of it for him and the club  :pray

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »
Tambling needs to be influentual during matches!

:)

correct!!

every time he looks like breaking the game open and scoring a crucial goal outside 50 what does he do? Straight to the opposition or a kick which ends up being the wrong decision.

He is too timid out there for my liking and doesnt seem fast at all. If he has pace he should show it and show some guts FFS.

He along with many players we have are the type that are so nice they will shake hands with the opposition before the bounce.

Well stuff that he should get his hands dirty in the contest instead of fence sitting as he is seen many times.

He has shown he has what it takes but consistency is whats important.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.