Author Topic: Richmond & Carlton don't have a mortgage on season-opener  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond & Carlton don't have a mortgage on season-opener
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »
No problems with you disagreeing Smokey - it makes the world go round  :thumbsup

What else are forums for?   ;D   :thumbsup

For a few years we played Collingwood in round 1 with a view to making that an occasion but because of our own stupidity the Pies said we don't want this anymore. So we moved on to Carlton and have played them the last 3 years

We played them for 3 years (02-04) and the largest crowd was 65k.  Agree that it was our own stupidity in not pushing to keep it but the crowd figures for the Carlton games highlight my point that we are partly/largely responsible for making the game the occasion that it is.

Sorry smokey but I don't believe it is 2nd only to ANZAC day with regard to signifigance to the H&A fixture. I would thinkt he replay of the GF would have far greater impact during the course of the season.

Actually I reckon it should be the game that launches the season but that's my view

Disagree again WP.   ;D  The GF replay has been played in R1 for 3 of the past 4 seasons (not last year).  In '07 62k watched West Coast v Sydney (in Sydney), '08 28k watched Geelong v Port (in Adelaide), '09 69k watched Hawthorn v Geelong (MCG) and '10 58k watched Geelong v St Kilda (MCG).  Those figures tell you there was no 'occasion' built around those games - interesting for sure but no build up or real crowd support (although the Sydney game figure was very good).  Richmond and Carlton have made this game what it already is, even in years of below average team performance and the crowds have responded to that.  We both deserve it regardless of the result because both clubs and their supporters have made the effort.  And we certainly shouldn't be condemned on just 2 years of poor results.

Understand your point smokey but I view the ANZAC day game very differently. It is something that the 2 clubs have built over a number of years & IMHO it goes much deeper than a game of footy

And that's my point about our game.  Richmond and Carlton are building something that is being supported and for their efforts and the crowd support they deserve the right to let that build.  The AFL went out of their way to give Essendon and Collingwood every assistance to make an occasion out of the Anzac Day game (and for all the right reasons) and they should respect the efforts of our clubs in trying to do the same thing as the season opener, even if that just means riding out the storm of a couple of years of average results in order to let the occasion build.

Carlton have only won the past 2 in a row and no-one advocated taking it off them after we spanked them by 56 points. 

Need to correct my own mistake here - the 'spanking' was only 30 points but it still felt good!   ;D

True but that was the first one and lets be honest no-one expected us to win so the margin became irrelevant. However the last 2 years the margin has reflected what everyone outside of the Tiger fans was expecting and there in lies the problem IMHO. The results have been embarassing as the showcase to launch the season and I say that as a footy fan not a Tiger fan

Whether we were expected to win or not is irrelevant - it's what we are trying to create in conjunction with Carlton that is important.  Results will take care of themselves over time but the AFL must pay some respect to the way this game has been supported by the fans.  I could chuck in here that two of the most disappointing 'big games' for me in recent times were the '07 and '08 Grand Finals - one for the pathetic performance by Port and one for the terrible spectacle it produced (Hawthorn's strangle of Geelong).  These were not a showcase of anything I would be proud of as an AFL fan.

It's not the media smokey it's also the powers at AFL headquarters

It is the media that plant and/or foster the ideas in public though.  And lets be honest - Richmond bagging is an old fave when a journo is too lazy or interested in chasing up a real footy story.

IMHO the only reason we've hung on to it this year is because of Benny Gale and the fact that Andy D has great respect for Benny, If we didn't have Benny G then I reckon we would have lost it by now

And on that we are in full agreement.  It's wrong mind you but it's true.   :'(

FNM

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
Collingwood can't have everything - or can they  ::)
I have no problem with it - doesn't matter how we've performed or where we are on the ladder, a Carlton Richmond game has "atmosphere".
It's not as if Carlton have been great performers of late either!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »

We were getting screwed in that deal so I don't see it as a bad thing that we ended the agreement
Don't let the fact Eddie got in a bit of a tanty about it on the Footy Show blind you to the fact that we were losing something like $250k a year from it

The one good thing Ian Campbell did during his short reign as CEO. He realized straight away the deal heavily favoured Collingwood and knocked it on the head. Only bad thing was that we only played Collingwood once the year immediately after and it was their home game so we got nothing.

The figure I recall was around $100,000 less than Collingwood each time we played them. Not what you'd think when you hear "gate sharing".
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
Whether we deserve it or not doesn't really matter, as for reasons unbeknownst to all but us Tigerheads we are still one of the Big 4 clubs in Vic.
Skunks and Essendon have their game so how else are you gunna open the season.
For arguments sake throw up some options, maybe a Grand Final replay could be worthy?
What else? Lets pick 2 sorta well performed rivals over the last few years StKilda v Geelong, will that get the crowd and atmosphere of a Rich v Carl   :nope
Buldogs V Melbourne ? Boring 2 and a dingbat, well 2 dingbats!

Yeah we need to step it up for sure, but we are getting the numbers 'Just' and the atmosphere you just cant buy! Suffer Hawthorn wheteher you like it or not!
When we improve in the next year this is gunna be a massive game, let's hope we can start to step it up a bit this Thursday  :gotigers

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »

We were getting screwed in that deal so I don't see it as a bad thing that we ended the agreement
Don't let the fact Eddie got in a bit of a tanty about it on the Footy Show blind you to the fact that we were losing something like $250k a year from it

The one good thing Ian Campbell did during his short reign as CEO. He realized straight away the deal heavily favoured Collingwood and knocked it on the head. Only bad thing was that we only played Collingwood once the year immediately after and it was their home game so we got nothing.

The figure I recall was around $100,000 less than Collingwood each time we played them. Not what you'd think when you hear "gate sharing".
The gate did get split 50-50 but the problem lies with the amount of away supporters going to each match.
For example, when it is Collingwoods home game, if they have 40000 rabid ferals turn up most of these will be Collingwood members and will pay no extra to get in. 30000 legend Richmond supporters turn up and even if they have a 16-17 game membership, Collingwood still get the full gate receipt for their attendance. When you reverse the positions and it's Richmond's home game, we should be getting 40,000 gate receipts for putting up with hosting the ferals. So when we split the gate (35000 each) we are missing out on 5000 gate receipts (in that scenario anyway).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers must earn their stripes for opener (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
Tigers must earn their stripes for opener

* Jon Ralph
    * March 22, 2011

RICHMOND concedes it must begin to give bang for its buck if it is to keep its cherished position playing Carlton in the season opener.

The Tigers start the season on Thursday having lost their past two Round 1 contests against the Blues by a total of 137 points.

They continue to hang on to the lucrative prime time slot despite only one Round 1 win since 2004. And the AFL says they are not guaranteed the contest.

Tigers president Gary March said yesterday the incredible crowds justified the contest. The last three clashes averaged 77,000 fans in the past three years.

But captain Chris Newman is aware the Tigers cannot continue to fail on the big stage and retain a clash that draws members and appeases sponsors.

"I think it's very important for the club," he said.

"This is our home game and it's important in terms of getting members and creating some dollars for the club, but no doubt we have to put on a show.

"Everyone wants to turn their TV on and see a really good game and a really good clash in Round 1, so that's what we plan on doing on Thursday night."

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou last year said Richmond did not have a mortgage on the opening match of the year.

"It's not written down as gospel, as Richmond forever," he said before the Tigers' 56-point loss.

March said yesterday the Tigers were aware of their need to perform under football's bright lights.

"I think there is pressure on us to get out of the blocks a bit better than we have in the past few years, because with a young side confidence gets dented, but it's a process," March said.

"Carlton has been in the finals in the past few years and we would like to keep improving, but when people throw up the chestnut about should we have Round 1's (opener), the average attendance is great. It's pretty hard to argue against it."

March is confident of a strong crowd, ahead of prime-time contests against St Kilda next Friday night, Hawthorn the following Saturday night, then Collingwood on a Friday in Round 4.

"Even though there is no Judd or Cousins factor, I would still be surprised if it's not about 70,000 again," he said. "Carlton has a lot riding on this season and we have expectations to improve, so we want to get away to a good start."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-must-earn-their-stripes-for-opener/story-e6frf9jf-1226025754104

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »
If we thrash the Cheats in the next 2 or 3 years straight will the media be questioning them on the validity of their inclusion to the season opener or is that critisism only for Richmond?

Who's the bigger club?  :gotigers

Eat 'em Alive!!!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
There has been talk this week that Richmond does not deserve the season opening fixture given its recent Round 1 capitulations against Ratten's men.

But the Carlton coach slammed that sort of talk and said he hoped the clash would continue in years to come.

''I think that (talk) is really unfair,'' Ratten said.

''The history between Carlton and Richmond goes back for years in Grand Finals.

''I think it's great to have two traditional Melbourne teams to kick the season off.

''It's going to be a great encounter.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-to-play-three-debutants-against-richmond-in-season-opener/story-e6frf9jf-1226026633582

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
There has been talk this week that Richmond does not deserve the season opening fixture given its recent Round 1 capitulations against Ratten's men.

But the Carlton coach slammed that sort of talk and said he hoped the clash would continue in years to come.

''I think that (talk) is really unfair,'' Ratten said.

''The history between Carlton and Richmond goes back for years in Grand Finals.

''I think it's great to have two traditional Melbourne teams to kick the season off.

''It's going to be a great encounter.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-to-play-three-debutants-against-richmond-in-season-opener/story-e6frf9jf-1226026633582

Plus they love smashing us every year infront of a big crowd!  :banghead

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
If we win tomorrow it'll be 2-all.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 11:32:51 PM »
If we win tomorrow it'll be 2-all.

We played Carlfilth in round 1 2007. It doesn't count b/c it was on the Sunday night?
Either way this is the 5th consecutive season we have played them in our first game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 04:49:20 AM »
Mike's now joined in.....

Almost as much as Andrew Demetriou is hoping Richmond doesn't flop again as it has in the opening game of the past two years.

It's critically important for the Tigers on a couple of fronts: their claim to a prime date on the footy calendar and their $6 million fundraising campaign.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/footy-is-back-at-last/story-fn7shz1t-1226027013140

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 05:02:40 AM »
We played Carlfilth in round 1 2007. It doesn't count b/c it was on the Sunday night?

It wasn't the season opener........which is what the thread and media sniping is about........so, no.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 09:43:24 AM »
We've been flogged the last two season openers, but come the Thursday of the game every year, the hype is fever pitch.

As long as we're drawing 75k+ we'll keep the game.

Imagine if it was Bulldogs vs. Kangaroos  :chuck
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 11:59:18 PM »
Looks like we are keeping the season opener  :thumbsup ...

McLachlan said while the Richmond-Carlton season opener was not set in stone, a "compelling argument" would be needed for rival clubs to steal the slot.

Richmond's third-term surge at Carlton and a strong crowd means the clubs seem certain to kick off next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tens-cut-of-tv-rights-pie-a-work-in-progress/story-e6frf9jf-1226049434062