Author Topic: Richmond & Carlton don't have a mortgage on season-opener  (Read 7321 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond & Carlton don't have a mortgage on season-opener
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:34:46 AM »
From the Herald-Sun's story on tv rights.....

Demetriou yesterday revealed that:

RICHMOND and Carlton do not have a mortgage on the season-opening clash.

BEN Cousins' great challenge would be establishing a career after football but he was a great example of rehabilitation.

On the Richmond-Carlton game, Demetriou said he was confident of a crowd between 60,000-70,000 at the MCG tomorrow night but had not locked in the fixture for ever.

"They will get a good crowd and I am looking forward to it. It will be a competitive match. But it's not written down as gospel as Richmond for ever, to the best of my knowledge, and I would know," he said.

Demetriou yesterday backed Cousins and said he did not believe the controversial Richmond onballer had a drinking problem.

"I remain unconvinced about the assertions made by (The Age) to be honest," he said.

"(Richmond chief executive) Brendon Gale, who I know personally, does not lie.

"I think he was genuine when he said the hysteria around Ben Cousins had reached proportions which are uncomfortable.

"Let's hope he's back to playing football and playing well. He does play football and had a great season last year."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pay-tv-locked-out-of-friday-night-afl-games/story-e6frf9jf-1225844495043
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:57:32 PM by one-eyed »

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Well said Andy D.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
why not, makes no more or less sense than Collingwood playing ESS and BLUES twice a year for eternity. I thought the operative word here was blockbuster status, the essence being drawing power
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Oh good, I hope that means Collingwank and Essendon don't have a permanent grasp on Anzac day either then ...
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
why not, makes no more or less sense than Collingwood playing ESS and BLUES twice a year for eternity. I thought the operative word here was blockbuster status, the essence being drawing power

My take is that he's saying dont take it for granted. If the crowds stop showing up you'll loose it.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

FNM

But it's not written down as gospel as Richmond for ever, to the best of my knowledge, and I would know," he said.
Why single out Richmond?  Shouldn't that be both clubs don't have the automatic right to hold the event?
And I agree with the views about Anzac Day.  Unfortunately though, it's always a sell-out game and would be hard to justify taking it away from them.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame

Why single out Richmond?  Shouldn't that be both clubs don't have the automatic right to hold the event?

Perhaps he was asked specifically about us given it's our home game.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
But it's not written down as gospel as Richmond for ever, to the best of my knowledge, and I would know," he said.
And I agree with the views about Anzac Day.  Unfortunately though, it's always a sell-out game and would be hard to justify taking it away from them.

Reckon its a typo and should have read '... gospel as Richmond-Carlton for ever'

FNM

[/quote]

Reckon its a typo and should have read '... gospel as Richmond-Carlton for ever'
[/quote]
I reckon it should have read

But it's not written down as gospel as Richmond for ever, to the best of my knowledge, and I would know," conceited prik Demetriou said.

Gee Andrew, given the salary you're on, one would hope you knew something  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
We suck at the moment which goes against us but I'd like to see how many other clubs would get 72,000 to a game on a school/work night.

If we can hang on to the season-opener for two more years we'll be okay as far as hanging onto it. Hopefully that last quarter fade-out doesn't sway the AFL commission to take the game off us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
We suck at the moment which goes against us but I'd like to see how many other clubs would get 72,000 to a game on a school/work night.

If we can hang on to the season-opener for two more years we'll be okay as far as hanging onto it. Hopefully that last quarter fade-out doesn't sway the AFL commission to take the game off us.

Sadly after last night, unless we start winning some games of footy or losing by less than a few kicks we wont hold onto this game.

And to be honest after last night I'd prefer that we didn't
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

Next year should play an interstate team away

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Well Demetriou said this morning that the 72,000 crowd size last night was "amazing". So he was a happy boy.

Ramps

Maybe our club as an organisation doesnt deserve the 1st game of the season- but our supporters deserve game 1 of the season and thats why we should keep it. We dont have alot of reasons to go to the footy- to watch what- getting flogged? At least the AFL should respect Richmond supporters capacity to stick with the club during 30 poohouse years. The supporters deserve at least that much!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Maybe our club as an organisation doesnt deserve the 1st game of the season- but our supporters deserve game 1 of the season and thats why we should keep it. We dont have alot of reasons to go to the footy- to watch what- getting flogged? At least the AFL should respect Richmond supporters capacity to stick with the club during 30 poohouse years. The supporters deserve at least that much!

I agree ramps. There are very few games throughout the year, including finals, that pull a crowd anywhere near that size. Just shows what a fantastically lyal group of passionate supporters we are!  :cheers Just need the team to step the f up now!

Stripes