Author Topic: Teams for Round 1  (Read 6785 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Teams for Round 1
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »
Did they accidently transpose the fullbacks and the halfbacks?

Is the forward line too short?

I think we need another tall who can play.   What did the Postman do to lose a spot?

not sure where posty has stamped himself right now...sounds like TV will get first dibbs at a Key forward post, I reckon he'll line upo with one of Nahas or robers on bench, I agree, looks to small with Bling, nahas, and RR down there
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 10:33:54 PM »
How has Thompson's pre-season been? Have not really heard his name to much? Massive surprise for mine him being in the side.
Hope he proves me wrong because i think he is a DUD!

Dan Connors is one that I'm surprised made the team  

I will bite then..... ;D :D ;), I thought from what I have read accross the forums and from media reports that he wen't very well during the pre season, were they all wrong??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »

I will bite then..... ;D :D ;), I thought from what I have read accross the forums and from media reports that he wen't very well during the pre season, were they all wrong??

I agree WAT.  I didn't see a lead-up game but all reports (except WP's  ;) ) seemed to point towards Connors being reasonable so personally I'm not surprised.  But, as I said, that is all based on hearsay.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
So,let me get this straight, we have to cover a resting ruckman whose 200cm, plus two more forwards of 199cm and 196cm respectively, with Thursfield (192cm and a beanpole) McGuane (192cm and a stick insect) and Moore(190cm).
Meanwhile up forward, we have one tall marking option and basically five crumbers. :help

Post, Gourdis and Astbury would be perfect additions in place of Moore, Hislop and Simmonds  8)

tony_montana

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »

It's only round 1, we will get to see everyone have a reasonable run at various stages this season, so no need to stress about lineups

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 11:26:21 PM »
Boy is that a new look side.
Bring it on!

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 11:29:30 PM »
This is the predicament I see with our big-man stocks at the minute. Griffiths is behind schedule a bit coming off the shoulder injury. Rance and Graham seem to have gone backwards over the summer. Browne may not be quite ready yet. Post seems to have inexplicably fallen out of favour with the selectors, while Astbury, who was progressing nicely, has been put back a bit by injury. Gourdis played some good footy as a key defender, and was probably unlucky to be pipped for a senior elevation by Polak,who was then left out of the side anyway.
So where does this leave us? With pretty much the same undersized forward and defensive set-ups that struggled so much last year. Aside from all the new onballers, which I'm rapt about, I don't like the look of tomorrow night's side, and I can't wait til some of the new names I mentioned come on.  

the claw

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
lol here they are talking up structures and how we are going to go bigger  and how we are going to play kids and they come up with that side.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »
I'm wondering if the forecast 29 degree heat has something to do with adding more smalls to the side. I imagine there will be a lot of rotations and hoping to run some tiring big men off their feet.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 07:25:02 AM »
How has Thompson's pre-season been? Have not really heard his name to much? Massive surprise for mine him being in the side.

Well I don't pay much attention to media reports as they seem to base most of their views on stats. Let's not forget one media report after the Pies praccy game said "martin had a bad day" and the kid didn't even play ... so enough said about the media  ;D

I've explained in numerous posts why I was disappointed with Connors' performances but in short his disposal, decision making and most importantly his lack of defensive pressure (eg chasing his opponent) were the things disappointed me during the pre-season.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »

I've explained in numerous posts why I was disappointed with Connors' performances but in short his disposal, decision making and most importantly his lack of defensive pressure (eg chasing his opponent) were the things disappointed me during the pre-season.

Well WP if you feel that way about Connors you must think less of Edwards surley because his disposal and decision making would have to be one of the worst if not the worst in the team. Add that to the fact that he is always caught holding the ball and is easily thrown out of the contest. Please don't tell me you rate him better than Connors and he has been selected.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »

Well WP if you feel that way about Connors you must think less of Edwards surley because his disposal and decision making would have to be one of the worst if not the worst in the team. Add that to the fact that he is always caught holding the ball and is easily thrown out of the contest. Please don't tell me you rate him better than Connors and he has been selected.

Edwards would not get a game with 14 other clubs.

Opposition players must laugh when they are pitted against him.

Aside from him, Thompson (DUD) & Hislop i think its a good line up. Post should be in the team also.

If you are picking the team based on pre season form then Moore, Edwards, Thompson  etc etc shouldnt be playing in this game.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 12:15:34 PM »

Well WAT you didn't ask me about Edwards your question was about Connors

Would I have selected Edwards ahead of Connors? Yes because based on the pre-season games I saw I thought he was slightly better but not much. His decision making int he pre-season was a lot better than 2009. let's wait and see what happnes in the real stuff tonight

Would I have selected Edwards? 50/50 decision based on his pre-season form. thought he was average in Tassie, good in Yea and poor in Morwell

Does that cover everything  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »

Well WAT you didn't ask me about Edwards your question was about Connors

Would I have selected Edwards ahead of Connors? Yes because based on the pre-season games I saw I thought he was slightly better but not much. His decision making int he pre-season was a lot better than 2009. let's wait and see what happnes in the real stuff tonight

Would I have selected Edwards? 50/50 decision based on his pre-season form. thought he was average in Tassie, good in Yea and poor in Morwell

Does that cover everything  ;D

Sort of WP... ;), still can't figure out why Edwards over Connors though, watch Edwards get thrown around like a leaf tonight, don't think that will happen to Connors. But each to thier own... :thumbsup

"Rucks:

jackstar is back again

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
Edwards role tonight, run and carry through the corridor. ;)