Author Topic: Keep the faith, urges Newman (RFC)  (Read 1566 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Keep the faith, urges Newman (RFC)
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:57:11 AM »
Keep the faith, urges Newman
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham
Fri 26 March, 2010

RICHMOND captain Chris Newman believes the club's supporters should not lose faith in the Tigers despite their inglorious start to the 2010 season.

The Tigers' 56-point loss to Carlton on Thursday night, combined with their early NAB Cup disaster against Hawthorn, has not painted an ideal picture for the year ahead.

But Newman remains confident fans will witness success if they're patient.

"It's not all going to be doom and gloom," he said, after the round-one loss at the MCG.

"We know we've got some things to work on but we believe in our structures we've put in place and our game plan.

"It takes time. The more we train it, the more we can adapt to it and the more competitive we'll be throughout the weeks."

The Richmond skipper admitted it was frustrating to kick off the season with such a disappointing result after a long summer.

He said Thursday night's game had exposed flaws in the Tigers' structure, especially down back, after the Blues got on top across the ground.

"You always want to get off to a good start and get a win on the board, especially with a young group," he said.

"It's a little bit frustrating but all we can do now is move on and learn from our mistakes and not dwell on it.

"The main positive is, a lot of it is our fault.

"All credit to Carlton, their pressure is terrific and they move the ball extremely well.

"There are just some things we need to tighten up and we didn't take our opportunities when we could have."

Newman said new coach Damien Hardwick had proved to have a "huge influence" over the group and had placed a large focus on the players increasing their hardness.   

"At times our pressure wasn't too bad and when we did put pressure on and stick tackles, we actually turned the ball over," he said.

"It's probably the thing we're trying to pride ourselves on but we still have a long way to go.

"We want to be known for our ferocity around the footy. We'll just go back and train that like we've been doing throughout the summer and just try and tinker a few things."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/91093/default.aspx

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Keep the faith, urges Newman (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
I'm willing to cut a little slack seeing as it was the first real game that we've used our new gameplan.

But Newman, how about being a leader. After the Blues had kicked the first 3 goals, you should have taken it upon yourself to get into the middle and lead by example. Try win a clearance or two and influence the game a little.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
are we the only club that go into crisis mode after a round 1 loss?

FFS its not like we expect to finish above 16th this season,  ::) why does our club embarrass us and themselves with this type of tripe? Yes we lost, yes we're dissapointed but exactly what faith would we lose when we expect to finish last and cop some ugly losses on the way?

I'm sorry but we the club contribute to the media loving to beat up stories about us   thisis a perfect example

chill and hold your nerve for a change richmond

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
The faith....... in what, really even our supposed great players did nothing, not much to keep the faith about........ but I will. ;D Enough of this, going for a ride on my Harley now.. :thumbsup :thumbsup ;D ;D :D :D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ox

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
Chris Newman - Stick ur faith back in hole.
Turd.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:01:21 PM by one-eyed »

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
Faith??? pfft!  ::) You gotta earn that back tiges, there is nothing to have faith in at Tigerland at the moment, and still we go and we support and we hand over our hard earned, and then we trudge back home again and get ready to do it all over again!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
We have had faith for 30 years and we know the enourmity of the on field job ahead but Chris how about this to ponder before your next media engagement.

Get up off your ar$e and stop trying to become just a Supercoaches dream and stack up the stats. Show some leadership and get in the thick of the action put your body on the line show some spirit and passion and just exert yourself a hell of a lot more than you do and inspire your teammates into making a special effort every now and then by getting your hands dirty.

We retired Bowden last year and it seems you want to resurrect his ghost and continue in his tradition.

Chris I need no message from you to tell me how to believe and where my faith lies but I need you to stop this media crap you have recently acquired and inspire. Don't tell me faith is two steps beyond where we are at currently.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 12:00:05 AM »
It's war when we play Carlton.

Start being a general Newmo.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »
We have had faith for 30 years and we know the enourmity of the on field job ahead but Chris how about this to ponder before your next media engagement.

Get up off your ar$e and stop trying to become just a Supercoaches dream and stack up the stats. Show some leadership and get in the thick of the action put your body on the line show some spirit and passion and just exert yourself a hell of a lot more than you do and inspire your teammates into making a special effort every now and then by getting your hands dirty.

We retired Bowden last year and it seems you want to resurrect his ghost and continue in his tradition.

Chris I need no message from you to tell me how to believe and where my faith lies but I need you to stop this media crap you have recently acquired and inspire. Don't tell me faith is two steps beyond where we are at currently.

Nicely said.

May i add,christopher,one cannot kep what one has already lost.

STFU and try not to turnover the ball from kickouts  -  that would be a start......
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:02:32 PM by one-eyed »

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »

I was reading your 2nd paragraph and was thinking of writing a simple reply - J.Bowden MkII, but you covered it nicely on the next line  :thumbsup

good post

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »
The comment that sticks out most in my mind is "we will tinker with a few things"

stuff, are we experimenting with laboratory rats at Punt Road?

It's footy!!!!!!!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 08:10:39 PM »
RFC - takes supporters for granted.
Interestingly, rfc predictive text is eff.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »
RFC - takes supporters for granted.
Interestingly, rfc predictive text is eff.

Thats so true .. look at north they started to lose members so they kicked the butts into gear ... and richmond just think were gonna be like " derrrrr ... theres all ways next year ... horrahh"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

:clapping :clapping :clapping :bow :bow :bow :clapping :clapping

Now that's leadership Tucker  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:31:58 AM »
Worst game I've seen from Chris for ages on Thursday.
Surprised he wanted to stick his head out in the media thb.