Author Topic: Simmonds playing on good decision or not?  (Read 4734 times)

tony_montana

Simmonds playing on good decision or not?
« on: March 26, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »
This is not an I told you so post, but after reality hit last night for some at just how past it simmonds is, do people agree with keeping him on for an extra year? Before we start with the patto calls, he had to go, Patto was very dissapointed with the whole club culture and wanted out, it was the right thing to do to let him go and I wish him all the best at the saints.

I'm sure there are 22-25 year olds playing in other leagues that could have been a stop gap rookie for 1-2 years, surely they would have been a better option? Nothing personal against simmonds, its just that there comes a time in a players career that the game simply leaves them behind, this happened to simmo last year and I was stunned we kept him on.

Personally I see no benefit in keeping simmonds on over delisting him and drafting in a 23 year old mature aged rookie from a state league. Simmonds would struggle in the EFL

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Simmonds playing on good decision or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
For now he is the best we have.

I can't believe that Wallace thought that he was going to get by without drafting ruckmen. Most sides try and get at least one per year in the draft.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »
Thats not right, Patto didnt want to go anywhere and was devasted about being cut. But saying that life doesnt come with a rewind button move on.

The problem is Gus needs to earn his spot and become more mobile and ditto with Browne.

Vickery cant hold the ruck on his own so Simmo is the best option.

It would have been good to pick up another good potential ruck ( got Vickery last year) in the draft but i hear there just wasnt any kid worth picking up this year (one was picked up just before our pick)

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
He owes us bigtime

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:12:37 PM »
Horrible call.

Ive never liked how Simmonds plays. He's an enourmous man, a black belt in karate and has never thrown his weight around. Give me Greg Stafford any day. All due respect to Simmonds I think he should have been a power CHF not a ruckman, his ground coverage is amatuer.

We've never had a good ruckman since Greg Dear.
Go Tigers!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
answer to this question, good decision.
Its was Vickery who wouldnt take the hit outs, stuffed if I know why either.
I think at times he got confused in who he was playing on as they used Cruzier and Warnock on the ground at the same time.
Although he should have enough brains to know that he had to take the taps around the ground, obviously no brains

At least Simmo has a go.

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
I would rather Pattison than Simmonds. Simmonds was a total disgrace last night.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
Horrible call.

Agreed. Would have kept Patto ahead of him and can't stand Patto.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
answer to this question, good decision.
Its was Vickery who wouldnt take the hit outs, stuffed if I know why either.
I think at times he got confused in who he was playing on as they used Cruzier and Warnock on the ground at the same time.
Although he should have enough brains to know that he had to take the taps around the ground, obviously no brains

At least Simmo has a go.

You clearly were wearing rose-coloured glasses last night then.  He was the polar opposite of a player that "had a go".

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »
Going to be real painful watching Simmo go around, Oh well could be worse Patto could still be getting a game.

Hurry up Vickers, please

jackstar is back again

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
We had to keep Simmo.
Patto was useless and Graham must have pictures of the president to still be at the club ::)

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »
We had to keep Simmo.
Patto was useless and Graham must have pictures of the president to still be at the club ::)

Patto was useless but simmo is an upgrade? haha

simmo is non competitive, shocking call to go round another year,  a ruckman from a suburban league would've been better value

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
absolutely simmo shouldn't play at all.  useless.  i'd much rather play angus graham than keeping simmo on.  yes he can compete physically (apparently not against kreuzer) but all the ever does is jump into the other ruckman and IF he ever gets a hit out, it only ever becomes an aimless knock rather than directing the ball down to our midfielders, so he doesn't help our onballers out in terms of clearance at all, no to mention he's absolutely crap at ground work and simply falls over all the time, the least a ruckman needs to do if they can't get hitouts is to at least act as another midfielder to help with the clearance, but he simply does neither.  time to go back to coburg.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 10:43:41 PM »
How could anyway say to play Angus Graham ? :banghead :banghead
he has been statless his past 3 practise matches.
At least Simmo has a go

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
How could anyway say to play Angus Graham ? :banghead :banghead
he has been statless his past 3 practise matches.
At least Simmo has a go

Agree on Gus but play Browne instead. Came on against the Pies in the practice match and showed something, some aggression and got some round the ground stats too.

Simmo is just excruciating to watch. He is neither protecting the incumbent ruckmen in Vickery and co nor is he teaching them during the game. He just offers nothing anymore and the game is past him. He does not even get to enough round the ground contests anymore. Was surprised he was kept on initially but even so based on last nights effort he will struggle and it seems as an error in judgement from the coaching panel.