Author Topic: Despite another first-round flogging, Richmond is on track: Crawford (H-Sun)  (Read 899 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Despite another first-round flogging, Richmond is on track
Shane Crawford
Sunday Herald Sun
March 28, 2010

NEW Richmond coach Damien Hardwick could have taken the easy option on Thursday night.
He didn't, and Tiger fans should be thankful.

Yes, the Tigers were flogged by 56 points. Yes, they made plenty of mistakes. And, yes, they clearly have a long way to go over the next three to five years.

But the one thing that long-suffering yellow and black fans should be grateful for was that the new coach did not try to take short-cuts in his first game.

When confronted by an early Carlton onslaught, you could hardly have blamed the coach for trying to shut the game down to minimise the damage on the scoreboard.

Instead, he backed his youngsters, tried to get them to commit to a game plan, and got them to take it on for most of the night.

OK, it didn't work, but it will - eventually.

It is going to take a lot of time and a lot of patience, but I believe Hardwick's plan just might just work, long-term.

It might not feel that way for supporters, who saw another first-up thrashing, but Thursday night was the first tentative steps on what hopefully will be a Richmond revival.

The Richmond of 2010 is not about wins or losses. It is about developing the list as fast as possible, and giving the kids a crash course on the game plan the coach wants them to follow with a passion.

The players made plenty of mistakes, and still created more than a few turnovers, but they had a crack. At times you could almost see them stop in their tracks, and do the complete opposite thing to what they were originally doing.

That was a sign they were trying hard to implement the Hardwick game plan.

It won't come easy. Just think how long it took St Kilda and Hawthorn to adapt and put game plans into practice under their coaches, Ross Lyon and Alastair Clarkson.

And the Saints, in particular, had a much more advanced list when Lyon took over in 2007 than the Tigers do now.

Richmond has one of the most inexperienced lists in the AFL, evidenced by the fact that they had four debutants playing on Thursday night.

The four first-gamers - Dustin Martin, Ben Nason, Relton Roberts and Mitch Farmer - were all raw, but they showed enough to suggest they can play roles in the coming years.

Martin was more impressive as the game went on. Nason made plenty of mistakes, but at least he took the game on at times.

Ideally, you would try to spread those four debut games over several weeks, but the coach was obviously keen to make a statement - leaving seasoned players out.

The difference between this year's Round 1 loss and last year's embarrassing start was almost six goals on the scoreboard. Another difference was that at least there appeared to be a better game plan on offer this time around - even though many of the young Tigers were unable to put it in to practice.

Hardwick is only scratching the surface as far as his game plan goes, but he will stick to it, and the players will derive the benefits.

Richmond had a lot of older players in last year's first-round flogging. This time it was a much younger side, and that's a good thing going forward.

It seems almost cruel to ask Richmond supporters to remain patient. That's been the message for far too long at Punt Rd.

But this time, with a coach committed to a long-term plan, it might just be rewarded - even if it doesn't really appear that way.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/despite-another-first-round-flogging-richmond-is-on-track/story-e6frf9ox-1225846354494

TigerTimeII

spot on crawf

100% correct

and remember this yr has nothing to do with win loss ratio its about development and transformation

be patient and enjoy that we finally have someone who will stick to a plan unlike wallace who changed his plans by the week

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Said it before, for someone who acts the class clown he has a very good head on his shoulders Crawf. :clapping

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
Will be there at Richmond Paddock again like usual.

Love watching the kids develop.

TigerTimeII

me too, im backing this young group, cant wait when more list cloggers are gone next season
im not going to games to watch the scoreboard this yr, just to watch these kids improve and they will
these kids and players like jack, ritchie , brett all finally have a coach

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Correct me if I am wrong but I read somewhere once Crawf was a tigers supporter.  This would reinforce my belief in why he would only want the best for the club.
Lots of people name their swords......

jackstar is back again

Will be there at Richmond Paddock again like usual.

Love watching the kids develop.

I like to see kids develop too, although we dont want to see the ""paddock "" occur as it did last thursday night..
No secret that Crawf and Hardwick are best friends, so of cause he would right a positive article.
Thing I will say is this, if you have game plan, lets quit the crap NOW in regards to playing everyone behind the ball.
we lost structure badly on thursday night when we tried to rebound.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Crawf was very much a Richmond supporter as a kid, also has a close relationship with Hardwick
Quite insightful for someone who plays the fool, wouldn't mind getting him down as a part time assistant coach even
Think he's more focussed on his media career though

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Richmond on track?
Only time will tell on that front but I bloody well hope so.