Author Topic: Caro  (Read 1322 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Caro
« on: November 20, 2004, 12:26:43 AM »
I am sure that Caro would love to see the tigers do well too. I am also sure that she is proud of her reputation as an investigative football reporter, and sure that her best contacts, and best avenues to inside info lie within the Richmond Football Club. I am unsure that she realises that a lot of the time she is doing more harm than good with her 'exclusive' stories.

We suffer from extremes at Richmond. When we are doing well, there is no better team to support, when we are doing poorly it is the opposite. With Caro in the media, this is accentuated. If there is anything wrong with Richmond, any tiny problem, she is the first to let us know.

There is not one single quote in her latest piece - http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/19/1100838226820.html. Yet she goes on to spread doom and gloom and insinuates that there is an issue in Terry Wallace being dragged into politics against his will, and in turn that there is an unbalanced relationship between Terry, Miller and Casey. I see no grounding for this whatsoever. It only starts to rock the Richmond boat.

The sooner this wrinkly old half-sucked mango head hangs up her quill, the better.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Caro
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 01:57:11 AM »
Agreed unfortunately.

Honestly I don't know how reporters can sleep at night with some of the blatant stirring up stories that they try to push onto society, they will try to make a mountain out of nothing, ruin reputations and lives through lies and allegations and embellishment of the facts with not a scerick of responsibility for any of it. They do not care about the damage that they can create for an entity, individual or even society at large with their half truths, embellishments, false information and lies, their actions in there own minds are all justified beautifully. They are indeed the vermin of the society.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 02:03:05 AM »
Caro's first and foremostly a journalist. She gets paid to investigate footy stories (most off-field stuff) and report them.  Unfortunately for us, her close connections with Richmond and our sad ability either openly or via "sources" to provide her and other media outlets with new dramas to write about means she writes alot about us. I don't believe she is normally deliberately negative towards us. We as a Club over all these years haven't had much postive news to report. Don't forget we sell newspapers and the dramas at Punt Road read like a soap opera  :P. As WP mentioned, we've been in news every single day this week and it's off-season! I'd reckon every other club would've been lucky to get a single story about them in that time.

If Caro gets wind of a story she will report what she believes to be happening or is about to happen. IMO as many of her articles hit the mark as miss although she can be way off the mark when what she knows or what is told to her is incorrect. At least she provides original information whether true or wrong unlike the regurgitated stuff from Mike Sheahan that is common footy knowledge. Caro also cops flack because she's a women especially about her looks. Sheahan and Patrick Smith (who's gone all quiet on us after being pro-Casey) aren't much to look at either.  

One thing about Caro this year is she has clearly chosen sides in this election "debate" (ironic she today targets Miller and Wallace for doing likewise) as she has shown total distain towards Casey in her articles to the point a few months back of saying he should resign. She obviously has the ear of the Schwab/Macek alternative.

As for today's article, I agree Jake that it IS totally negative, without basis and unnecessarily damaging to the Club. The Club as a whole has been upbeat with the changes made over the past couple of months so it comes across as strange that Caro is trying to create a sense of crisis down at Punt Road when there isn't any ???  ::). Hopefully the draft today will be good for the Club and show via the response from Tiger supporters that there actualy is an air of optimism at and about the RFC.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 02:08:10 AM »
Here's the article for those haven't read it. Comes with a pic of a flat footy with the tiger head on it  ::).

Miller, Wallace take sides
By Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
November 20, 2004

The embarrassing Rex Hunt affair has clarified at least one element of the murky scenario that simply becomes murkier at Tigerland.

If there was ever any doubt over who was running Clinton Casey's election campaign, then that doubt dissipated with the revelation that Greg Miller had been chasing Hunt for four weeks and even tracked him down in Arnhem Land some 10 days ago.

He visited Hunt with Casey and coach Terry Wallace on Monday night and officially asked the famous football commentator to run on Casey's ticket.

This is despite the fact that Wallace had reportedly requested a guarantee from Casey that he would be left out of the politics. And despite the official address from Richmond's new chief executive Steven Wright to all staff to remain independent of the boardroom battle.

If anyone ever believed Miller would remain at Richmond should Casey be defeated next month, then they also now know the opposite to be true. That much, at least, has been settled despite all the blarney that has been spoken over recent days.

Miller first made a name for himself in club circles in the early 1980s as a recruiting man, one of the best in the business. Graeme Richmond himself tried to lure him to Tigerland back then. And he has proved in his time at Richmond that he will go to exhaustive lengths to get his man.

Three days ago he was hunting down a young footballer in Darwin and last year he flew to London on an impulse to lure Dean Solomon, having engineered an agreement among his senior players to take a collective pay cut in order to secure the Bomber.

That bid failed despite Miller's best efforts. But the Rex Hunt attempt fell apart for the ridiculous reason that Hunt was not a member - something Miller had been warned about four days ago but apparently did not check. That it was never checked before the three-man visit remains unfathomable.

There is so much that is bewilderingly stupid about this farce that it is difficult to know where to start. Casey, in a series of radio interviews yesterday, chose to blame the entire episode on his opposition, a premise difficult to justify given that it could have been worse had the oversight been exposed following Hunt's planned official announcement on Sunday.

Casey also inaccurately said the move to lure Hunt had only just begun and therefore it had been too early to check his membership. The Herald Sun, he said, had exposed the campaign move prematurely. Wrong.

Hunt had already officially sought 3AW's blessing and Miller, as previously reported, had been calling him for weeks and had put the vice-presidency to Hunt on Monday.

The opposing ticket led by Charles Macek has taken the opportunity to say the entire exercise only underlines Casey's allegedly sloppy, mistake-riddled tenure.

But the Macek camp lacks focus, not least because the group lacks a clear front-person - not helped by Macek being low-profile and now overseas - and also because it seems to stand for little but ousting Casey.

While Wallace was clearly seconded by the chairman to visit Hunt - his former media colleague - there appears to be some friction between the new coach and Casey's opponents.

Further complicating what has been portrayed by some as a clear choice between two tickets is not only the voting process, which lists opposing candidates in a senate-style manner, but the fact that Casey's ticket is far from complete.

His board is divided with at least two directors - Rob Turner and John Matthies - clearly on the outer and a third, in Motorola boss Alan Niklos, considering resigning for business reasons.

Turner and Matthies have reportedly been assured by Casey that he would keep them on his ticket for the December spill but it is understood Turner would have been tapped on the shoulder to make way for Hunt and could well have refused. Neither current director was aware of the Hunt bid.

It is understood that Matthies, a lawyer elected by the Richmond members in January by defeating Tony Jewell, will refuse to stand down for the spill if Casey does not keep him on board.

Confused? Politics has always operated in its own unique and devastating style at Richmond but the days when the boys found success by kicking it long to Royce seem a lifetime away.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/19/1100838226820.html?oneclick=true
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 04:29:07 AM »
The sooner this wrinkly old half-sucked mango head hangs up her quill, the better.
Yo Jakey, you always had a way with words lol
Remind me never to meet you  :rollin

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »
By Caroline Wilson

But the Macek camp lacks focus, not least because the group lacks a clear front-person - not helped by Macek being low-profile and now overseas - and also because it seems to stand for little but ousting Casey.

Well finally Caro has been criticial of the alternative :o. Although apparently hidden away this would have to be a damning assessment of the alternative IMO.

I have been saying for months and now Caro has said it - the alternative have no plan other than wanting Casey's head - not a good enough reason for change IMO.

and BTW now Macek is overseas weill we here the same cries that we heard when Casey was away? I think not.

Confused? Politics has always operated in its own unique and devastating style at Richmond but the days when the boys found success by kicking it long to Royce seem a lifetime away.

:lol I think your Dad could tell you a few stories Caro ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)