Author Topic: Tigers lash Ben Cousins relapse claim (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5649 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers lash Ben Cousins relapse claim (Herald-Sun)
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:56:48 AM »
Tigers lash Ben Cousins relapse claim

* Michael Warner
    * April 07, 2010

RICHMOND last night reacted furiously to claims recovering drug addict Ben Cousins had suffered a relapse.

High-profile AFL player manager Ricky Olarenshaw incensed the Tigers by declaring Cousins had again gone off the rails.

"I'm not one for gossip and rumours but I've been hearing murmurings for probably the last month about Ben Cousins. And I got some things confirmed to me over the weekend, and it was talked about publicly on the airwaves yesterday, so I'm not the first one to talk about it, but I believe that Ben Cousins may have lost his way again," Olarenshaw told radio station Gold FM yesterday.

"He did train with the club on Thursday and then he was taken out of the team because of knee soreness - that's what the club used (to explain his absence). We know that he was in hospital about two weeks ago and there have been a lot of sightings of him out and about with his behaviour a little bit erratic.

"He's been out with his shirt off and this sort of thing and it's sad.

"It's the last thing you want to hear, because we do want to see him do well, but I think in the very near future there will be an announcement made about what he is doing playing wise.

"And I think he will step away from the game. That's what I'm hearing."

Who was the best performer this week? Vote now and win.

Olarenshaw, a member of Essendon's 1993 premiership team, told listeners he had heard the information from sources close to the 2005 Brownlow medallist.

But Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale scoffed at the claims.

"It is a well-known fact that as a part of his condition of employment, Ben is drug tested by the AFL up to three times a week," Gale said.

"We get these rumours and speculation on a daily basis relating to Ben," Gale said. "I am not quite sure what motivated Ricky to make these comments. You would have to ask Ricky about that.

"Ben will be available for selection this week against Sydney and we look forward to his ongoing contribution at the club."

Olarenshaw tried to back away from his comments last night. He claimed he had heard about Cousins' supposed relapse on a weekend radio show, but could not nominate a station or broadcaster.

"All I was doing was recapping speculation over the weekend that it wasn't a knee injury that was stopping him from playing," Olarenshaw said.

"There have been rumours going around about Ben for a while, whether he is living a clean life. I hear rumours all the time but I don't know if they are true or not. I was never saying this was fact."

Richmond contacted AFL Players' Association chief executive Matt Finnis to express outrage at Olarenshaw, who manages Cousins' teammate Daniel Jackson. Finnis later called Olarenshaw to voice his disapproval.

An AFLPA spokesman said last night: "We would hope all player agents, when making public comments, do so in a responsible and well-informed manner."

The injured Cousins, 31, is no certainty to return against Sydney at the SCG on Saturday night.

Cousins could not be contacted for comment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tigers-lash-ben-cousins-relapse-claim/story-e6frf9if-1225850673545

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers lash Ben Cousins relapse claim (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:18:44 AM »

* Michael Warner
    * April 07, 2010

RICHMOND last night reacted furiously to claims recovering drug addict Ben Cousins had suffered a relapse.

High-profile AFL player manager Ricky Olarenshaw incensed the Tigers by declaring Cousins had again gone off the rails.

"I'm not one for gossip and rumours but I've been hearing murmurings for probably the last month about Ben Cousins. And I got some things confirmed to me over the weekend, and it was talked about publicly on the airwaves yesterday, so I'm not the first one to talk about it, but I believe that Ben Cousins may have lost his way again," Olarenshaw told radio station Gold FM yesterday.

"He did train with the club on Thursday and then he was taken out of the team because of knee soreness - that's what the club used (to explain his absence). We know that he was in hospital about two weeks ago and there have been a lot of sightings of him out and about with his behaviour a little bit erratic.

"It's the last thing you want to hear, because we do want to see him do well, but I think in the very near future there will be an announcement made about what he is doing playing wise.

Olarenshaw, a member of Essendon's 1993 premiership team, told listeners he had heard the information from sources close to the 2005 Brownlow medallist.

"It is a well-known fact that as a part of his condition of employment, Ben is drug tested by the AFL up to three times a week," Gale said.

"We get these rumours and speculation on a daily basis relating to Ben," Gale said. "I am not quite sure what motivated Ricky to make these comments. You would have to ask Ricky about that.

"Ben will be available for selection this week against Sydney and we look forward to his ongoing contribution at the club."

Olarenshaw tried to back away from his comments last night. He claimed he had heard about Cousins' supposed relapse on a weekend radio show, but could not nominate a station or broadcaster.

"All I was doing was recapping speculation over the weekend that it wasn't a knee injury that was stopping him from playing," Olarenshaw said.

"There have been rumours going around about Ben for a while, whether he is living a clean life. I hear rumours all the time but I don't know if they are true or not. I was never saying this was fact."

Richmond contacted AFL Players' Association chief executive Matt Finnis to express outrage at Olarenshaw, who manages Cousins' teammate Daniel Jackson. Finnis later called Olarenshaw to voice his disapproval.

An AFLPA spokesman said last night: "We would hope all player agents, when making public comments, do so in a responsible and well-informed manner."

The injured Cousins, 31, is no certainty to return against Sydney at the SCG on Saturday night.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tigers-lash-ben-cousins-relapse-claim/story-e6frf9if-1225850673545

FFS  :wallywink
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

FNM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:08:10 AM »
Had to come out of retirement for this lol
What a scum thing to say based on rumour.
Hey Ricky, give us the date, time and station you heard these radio reports and I'm sure an organisation like Rehame can do a check ::)
If untrue, Ben should take him to the cleaners  :banghead
BTW erratic behaviour can also mean having one too many drinks, like many footballers do each week  :cheers
The AFL should say if his drug tests have been clean or not  >:(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:21:48 AM »
The AFL should say if his drug tests have been clean or not  >:(

They don't need to FNM

If he tested positive for anything he'd be out on his ear, no ifs buts or maybes as we are talking about in competition testing here - the 3 strike policy does not apply. If the tests were positive we'd know. However, the silence is defeaning from AFL headquarters

Pathetic rumour mongering by a person you could only now describe as an ordinary bloke

ANd if this is the rumour some of our fearless posters have been alluding too  :whistle :whistle it is very funny indeed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:02:26 AM »
My mail has nothing to do with Ben being off the rails( as I what I have PM people).

Might just add,Ricky Olenrenshaw is terriffic bloke actually.
 :thumbsup

Have you ever thought that Ben has had enough and doesnt want to play anymore ?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »

Well Jack if you think that a "good bloke" would go on a radio program and peddle a rumour that he cannot back up with any factual evidence then good for you

To me it was a gutless and cowardly act and a "good bloke" wouldn't do that. A Gutter journalist certainly would but not a "good bloke"

What makes it worse is that he is registered player manager - he's job is to look after players not push rumours to discredit those that he makes his very good living from.

Yeah after Caro's gutter effort and now this you couldn't blame the bloke. But do I think that's what is going on = NO  ;) ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

TigerTimeII

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »

Well Jack if you think that a "good bloke" would go on a radio program and peddle a rumour that he cannot back up with any factual evidence then good for you

To me it was a gutless and cowardly act and a "good bloke" wouldn't do that. A Gutter journalist certainly would but not a "good bloke"

What makes it worse is that he is registered player manager - he's job is to look after players not push rumours to discredit those that he makes his very good living from.

Yeah after Caro's gutter effort and now this you couldn't blame the bloke. But do I think that's what is going on = NO  ;) ;)

totally agree wp

this aint the work of a good bloke, ricky o is scum

Tigermonk

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:23:34 AM »

l must have missed something important WP seeing l dont watch, read or listen to anything that comes out of Princess Carolines mouth
Please fill me in  ;D

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
My mail has nothing to do with Ben being off the rails( as I what I have PM people).

I'd hardly consider you a great character reference
Quite the opposite really and the above article just backs that up

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:34:04 AM »

* Michael Warner
    * April 07, 2010

FFS  :wallywink
:clapping  Must be hard walking round with both feet in his mouth hahaha.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »
Ben Cousins just needs to leave Richmond.

i am over Richmond having to deal with him and these rumours, this is not doing Richmond any favours and his recruitment was only a marketing objective.

Ben Cousins is gone, done, finished, all about himself and i don't care what Richmond people say about him.

this will be his last year, and i would rather have a young player playing then him.

:(

jackstar is back again

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:53:44 AM »

You wouldnt find a more down to earth bloke actually.
You have your opinions, I have mine. Great fella is Ric :thumbsup

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »

Gosh he use to look like an uninformed nob when he was on the boundry for seven, eek it was so difficult to watch as he guessed at injuries and what not... Though sevens coverage hasn't always been based on keeping the public informed either.

Do you think Cuz will play out the year, or again for that matter?
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Ox

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »

Sounds like a manipulative dog to me jak.

Ur mate riki was known for "getting on the rails" in his day.
Now he laggs people for being seen with their shirt off.

At days end,there are other players in the comp who have been given let off after let off for illegal substance usage.
Blokes usually hate cuzzy because their wives think he's cute.
Weak dogs.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »

That just highlights the calibre of people you associate with doesn't it?
If he's the most down to earth person you know and he says things like has been quoted in this article then that says it all really