Author Topic: Tigers lash Ben Cousins relapse claim (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5651 times)

Ramps

Re: Tigers lash Ben Cousins relapse claim (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
Ben Cousins just needs to leave Richmond.

i am over Richmond having to deal with him and these rumours, this is not doing Richmond any favours and his recruitment was only a marketing objective.

Ben Cousins is gone, done, finished, all about himself and i don't care what Richmond people say about him.

this will be his last year, and i would rather have a young player playing then him.

:(

I disagree the longer Cousins stays the better of we will be! :gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFLPA backs Cousins (Age)
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
AFLPA backs Cousins
WILL BRODIE
April 7, 2010 - 2:36PM

If player agent Rick Olarenshaw believes recovering drug addict Ben Cousins has "again lost his way", he should address the Richmond player himself, AFL Player's Association representative Steven Alessio said today.

Olarenshaw made the claim on radio station Gold FM yesterday - with Richmond quick to deny the accusation.

“I think whenever there's rumour and stories that come out … if he's got real concerns, address it with Ben directly,” Alessio said on SEN radio.

Alessio said if Cousins was ever facing difficulties, the player's association offered support, both at club level and through a national, independent network of player development and psychological professionals.

Cousins missed round two after winning 19 possessions and kicking a goal in the Tigers' round one loss to Carlton. He had been in doubt for the opening game after being hospitalised twice after suffering unexplained stomach pains.

Alessio also said the AFLPA stood behind sacked Saint Andrew Lovett, whose grievance hearing has been postponed until his rape charge is heard.

“We'd always be there… in case he wants a confidential space to air his case.”

He said the AFLPA's support for the former Essendon midfielder was currently at the "operational/industrial" level as it supported Lovett's efforts to have his damages claim against St Kilda held independent of his criminal charges.

“I think it goes towards just basic player's rights… just the ability to have that (grievance) heard,” Alessio said.

He indicated the Lovett issue would be raised when the collective bargaining agreement was next negotiated with the AFL.

“I think with any rule or issue come CBA time we'd be looking at them all…”

Alessio's association is out to contest the view that current AFL players were “jocks who don't have much of an idea.”

Alessio supported an article written by Richmond's AFLPA delegate Daniel Jackson in today's Age, in which Jackson said there was a “plethora of highly intelligent and well-qualified well AFL players in the community.”

“He (Jackson) makes some really good points in there. The players are an intelligent group and they can have a say on whatever the issue is,” Alessio said.

“This (weekly column) is one way for the players to give their views.”

AFL players are having their say every Wednesday in the The Age sport pages in the "Interchange" series of articles.

“I think there's certain incidents that happen with one player and the player group as a whole is tarnished with the same brush … there's fantastic people doing fantastic things out there.”

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/aflpa-backs-cousins-20100407-rraa.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 04:53:42 PM »
Have you ever thought that Ben has had enough and doesnt want to play anymore ?

Would't be at all surprised.
Must wake up every day and wonder why he's still playing.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
Ben Cousins just needs to leave Richmond.

i am over Richmond having to deal with him and these rumours, this is not doing Richmond any favours and his recruitment was only a marketing objective.

So we should kick him out the door because of baseless rumours torch? Why? They are rumours

He should go not because he has been great for our cubs in showing them how to improve their training and preparation, hasn't done one thing wrong since he has been at our club and met every single requirement placed on him by the AFL.

But in your opinion torch he should go because gutter journalists and now a player manager sprout off innuendo and rumours without one shred of proof so that's a good enough reason. Great

You wouldnt find a more down to earth bloke actually.
You have your opinions, I have mine. Great fella is Ric :thumbsup

No he isn't a great fella to make such gutless comments and then try and retreat from them. You canned Caro for her binge drinking claims against Cuz. Ricky's innuendo is just as bad if not worse

But if you think that makes him a "great fella" good onya
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 06:25:36 PM »

One word "Money"

jackstar is back again

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »

One word "Money"

You are correct. $$$$$$$$$$

FNM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
WGAF at what motivates him.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
 :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 12:11:03 AM »
My mail has nothing to do with Ben being off the rails( as I what I have PM people).

Might just add,Ricky Olenrenshaw is terriffic bloke actually.
 :thumbsup

so carazzo is a topliner and olerenshaw is a top bloke. olerenshaw should be stripped of his manager
accredication. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Players agents should butt out of media
Mike Sheahan
Herald Sun
April 08, 2010

THE blatant conflict for AFL player agents who moonlight in the media first became evident when Ricky Nixon worked weekends for Triple M as an around-the-grounds man.

Given he managed the cream of the player group back then, one or two of whom had a propensity to create headlines, and given Triple M had a rich best-player award, Ray Charles could have spotted his conflict of interest.

Nixon lived with the cynicism for a while before walking away and saving himself the trouble.

We have learned to live with agent conflict in recent years, but Ricky Olarenshaw's extraordinary boot-in-mouth performance on radio on Tuesday has put the issue back on the agenda.

What on earth was he thinking when he told Gold FM and its tens of thousands of listeners that Ben Cousins "may have lost his way again"?

Given Cousins' history, that implied only one thing - that a self-confessed drug addict had suffered a relapse.

Yes, Olarenshaw was on Gold in his role as a quasi-media man but, primarily, he is an accredited player manager.

One of his clients happens to be Cousins' Richmond teammate Daniel Jackson, a member of the team's leadership group.

Given Jackson is Olarenshaw's only known link to Richmond, isn't it natural to assume the intelligence came from Jackson?

I don't believe it did, for Jackson is an intelligent young man with a strong sense of team and loyalty.

"I'm not one for gossip and rumours," Olarenshaw said, followed by the inevitable: "But ..."

He then proceeded to suggest Richmond left Cousins out of the team to play the Western Bulldogs last Sunday for reasons other than the declared knee soreness.

Then he warmed to his task. "There have been a lot of sightings of him out and about, with his behaviour a little bit erratic. He's been out with his shirt off and this sort of thing, and it's sad."

Surely Cousins wasn't the only one who got caught up in the spirit of the AC/DC concerts.

Olarenshaw's priorities in this case were Jackson's best interests (wearing his manager's hat) and fairness to Cousins (wearing his commentator's hat).

He had a non-negotiable obligation to check with Richmond before going to air, with any one of coach Damien Hardwick, a former teammate at Essendon; general manager of football Craig Cameron; football operations manager Ross Monaghan; or communications manager Jude Donnelly.

He is extremely fortunate Cousins (a) seems to ignore whatever the media says of him, and (b) doesn't have a manager like Paul Connors or Craig Kelly or ... Nixon.

The truth is no defence in this case. Even if Olarenshaw was on the money, allegations of such a serious nature demand he offer the right of reply to the subject or a representative of his club.

Given the AFL Players' Association licenses player agents and is charged with looking after the best interests of players, it would seem to have no alternative other than to call on Olarenshaw to explain.

The agents can say what they like, but they are conflicted when they work in the media.

Gary Ablett's manager Liam Pickering, who has radio and television commitments, gets his lines blurred.

When Geelong coach Mark Thompson was seen recently to prod Ablett on his intentions post-2010, Pickering publicly and clearly expressed his reservations.

Yet, he said Ablett had no problem with Thompson's words.

Doesn't it end there?

If his player isn't aggrieved, why should he be?

I enjoy the Pickering banter on Off the Bench on SEN 1116 on Saturday mornings, but I don't learn one thing about any of his clients, unless they are under attack.

Certainly don't hear anything about the plans (or thoughts) of the most talked about man in football, one G. Ablett.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/players-agents-should-butt-out-of-media/story-e6frf9ox-1225851125101

Ramps

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 04:50:30 AM »
I still hope cousins sues olarenshaw just disgraceful stuff from olarenshaw

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »

One word "Money"

Who told you that the "great fella" Ricky or a different mail man

I would say after a conversation I had last year  ;) ;) ;) ( ;D) INCORRECT

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

FNM

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 07:41:56 AM »
The "erratic" comment wasn't made by Olarenshaw.  It was made by Grubby after he saw Ben at a concert.  Olarenshaw followed up by saying yeah, he'd been hearing he's been out and about with his shirt off.
So to be fair to Olarenshaw, he didn't make these specific comments, but he did everything else and thought it was a "tragedy".
Well, the tragedy is Ben's been convicted and hung publicly again with no evidence  :banghead

jackstar is back again

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »

One word "Money"

I actually know Ric , and known his since childhood days
Take people as they treat you.
Nothing wrong with Ric.

FNM

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »

One word "Money"

I actually know Ric , and known his since childhood days
Take people as they treat you.
Nothing wrong with Ric.
Good blokes still have a duty not to slander people  ::)