Author Topic: Draft Conclusion- 8/10  (Read 1347 times)

PuntRdRoar

Draft Conclusion- 8/10
« on: November 20, 2004, 12:51:52 PM »
In the past I have basted the tigers on draft day, but today was a good day for the tigers.

Deledio is terrific and an expected no 1 pick
Tambling - the hawks have seriously stuffed up, this kid loves being in melbourne, put on a stone in weight. he'll be terrific for sure. By pick 4 we had the 2 best players in the national draft.

Meyer- I dont rate Meyer as highly as some, would of have preferred he go to Port instead of us, but Wallace likes him alot. Ill say this for Meyer- hes quick and a good finisher...my doubts relate to his ability to get the ball alot.

Pattison- I dont like Pattison at 16. My preference would have been Cameron Wood at 16. He was still available. I think Pattison would still have been available later.

Dean Polo- I rate polo but not at 20 probably better around 36. Has fantastic endurance, gets the footy, more importantly gets his own footy...not a great disposer of the footy. Either 2 things have to happen- Royal needs to teach him how to kick...or he'll become a really effective in and under, run with type player. At 20, I would have preferred Chad Gibson.

Not a supporter of getting McGuane...havent seen much of Limbach...Disappointed for  likes of Redden and Juniper- they can play...but in the end...its all a matter of opinion.

Overall 8 out of 10. I give such a high rating because we got Deledio and Tambling.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Draft Conclusion- 8/10
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 02:10:57 PM »
My question mark over Meyer is his weight of just 70kg. He's going to need to put on 10kg to play AFL. Hope we don't have another Fiora on our hands although Meyer is listed as having a footy brain unlike Aaron lol.

Pattison was chosen over Wood because he was considered more versatile as he is expected to play both KP and in the ruck. Polo to develop into a inside midfielder to feed Deledio, Tambling, etc.

Limbach had a broken arm this year. We reckoned he would've gone pick 10-12 if he played all year. Terry wants him to develop into a fast leading FF.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 03:38:59 PM »
Anyone know anything about the other Krakouer that North were expected to pick up under father son but didn't.
Would have it been a good move to grab him like we did Andy from under their noses instead of picking up Graham?
Or just too risky?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 06:01:24 PM »
Myles Krakouer (Phil's son).
Haven't seen him myself froars. Had big wraps on him a year ago, but the little I've heard and read about him this year says he's just not good enough.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 03:57:33 AM »
Stats and brief write-ups are one thing to go by but having not seen these kids actually play a game of footy can someone give us a quick run down of the type/style of current or past AFL these kids are most like? Does Deledio play a style/role similar to say a Hird, Tambling like a Wells, etc...? 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 11:49:24 AM »
I think we have done exceptionally well.

Many thanks to Hawthorn for their decision to select for positions rather than taking the best player available :bow :bow Obviously following the tiger model of years gone by - two words: Fiora, Pavlich and that should be enough.

I cannot beleive we got Tambling - sensational get.

Personally I have no problems with the Graham selection because if it helps the long term development of Schulz and Moore as key position backman as well as freeing up Gaspar to get back into some form then for 12 months maybe 2 years it is worth it.

Tezza has said Schulz will be playing CHB all the time - we will need some experience back there it can work and at probably a basic wage then it is a gamble worth taking.

Biggest question mark for me is McGuane at 192cm - 77kgs is too lean obviously will need a lot work in the gym. At least the kid will see his Uncle Micky around the Club seeing tezza said on 3AW yesterday that Mick McGuane will be doing some opposition analysis for the Tigers in 2005.

All in all I am happy - 7 kids 18 or under added to the ones we picked up last season - remembering that 2 of those kids (Gilmour and Archibald are yet to play) and we look a helluva lot younger and quicker. I'm looking forward to sitting back and seeing how they all go. :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 01:14:34 PM »
What is that I hear?

DING DING DING DING DING

Its the train....and no its not David Palm....nor Michael Mitchell.....its the man I was dying to get.....Tambles....

I am stoked...when I heard Hawthorn picked up Roughhead...I rang my mate and he was shattered. He goes Bucky may have won flags at us but I think he just killed us for another 2-3 years.

Stick a fork in me...Im done.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne