Author Topic: Positives from tonight's game?  (Read 7836 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Positives from tonight's game?
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:04:13 PM »
We're going to be asking this question after every game this year  :yep so fire away.....

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Positives from tonight's game?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »
Martin by the length of the Flemington straight.

Tuck did ok, not going to be a long term solution but keep him in.

Conners was ok again, tried to have a go.

Polo did a fairly good job on Goodes.

Vickery ok at times.

Newman's best game so far, didnt have much to beat.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
Martin.
And the biggest positive is that we should never see WHITE OR RANCE EVER AGAIN :thumbsup

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
DUSTIN MARTIN - The end

Man could you turn for this dude or what  :rollin

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
Riewoldt - attitude is good!
Martin - Class, Match-Winner, better then Deledio, Tambling, Polo, White, Edwards, Tuck, Rance.
Nason - A Goer, A Keeper, better then White, Edwards, Hislop, Rance
Cotchin - Class!

At least Richmond haven't lost by over 100 points!

Competitive in the second half (when heat was off  :banghead)

Martin long three behinds showed me, that when Griffiths is down there at Full Foward one-on-one, Richmond will be dangerous!

:)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »
Carltank lost - reality check time scumbags  :cheers

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »
For me I guess have been echoed by some of the previous posts.

Martin easily.
Polo I thought was good.
Nason I liked his attitude despite some blunders ditto for Riewoldt as well. Kicked 3 goals will learn and will get better.
Connors was good too.

At least we have a couple of spots filled in my opinion regards to delistings.
Matt White
Shane Edwards too many turnovers and fumbles.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:33:23 PM »
Not in any particular order:

1. Was our best game for the season - we have improved in each game in the little things that will matter over time.
2. You can see them 'getting' and sticking to the gameplan more each week.
3. Martin - not a lot more to say at this point but if he doesn't get a Rising Star nomination this week then it will take a bloody good effort by someone else to get it.
4. Nason - has shown improvement each week and when he learns to 'kick' the ball and not stab at it he will be even better.
5. Rance - had a dip and showed a lot of improvement from his NAB Cup debacle.
6. Connors - improving as our best young half back flank option, now light years ahead of Edwards.
7. Vickery - showed more improvement again.
8. Proved the worth of having another strong tall marking option in the forward line - be it Simmonds, Polak or whoever, we functioned much better when another big bloke was put down in the square.

Don't make the mistake of looking at the scoreboard - look at the things that Hardwick and the coaching team will have been working on.  At half time we were 10 goals down but it didn't feel like it watching the game and turns out at that point we had more clearances, more inside 50's and laid more tackles.  They're the stats that good sides win each week and I reckon Hardwick will be fairly pleased with a lot of the game tonight.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:40:04 PM »
Martin, Nason, Vickery.

We won a quarter.

Rance took a mark. I was trying to remember before the game if i'd ever seen him mark before.

Connors good again. Good aggression and disposal better.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

jackstar is back again

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
Not in any particular order:

1. Was our best game for the season - we have improved in each game in the little things that will matter over time.
2. You can see them 'getting' and sticking to the gameplan more each week.
3. Martin - not a lot more to say at this point but if he doesn't get a Rising Star nomination this week then it will take a bloody good effort by someone else to get it.
4. Nason - has shown improvement each week and when he learns to 'kick' the ball and not stab at it he will be even better.
5. Rance - had a dip and showed a lot of improvement from his NAB Cup debacle.
6. Connors - improving as our best young half back flank option, now light years ahead of Edwards.
7. Vickery - showed more improvement again.
8. Proved the worth of having another strong tall marking option in the forward line - be it Simmonds, Polak or whoever, we functioned much better when another big bloke was put down in the square.

Don't make the mistake of looking at the scoreboard - look at the things that Hardwick and the coaching team will have been working on.  At half time we were 10 goals down but it didn't feel like it watching the game and turns out at that point we had more clearances, more inside 50's and laid more tackles.  They're the stats that good sides win each week and I reckon Hardwick will be fairly pleased with a lot of the game tonight.

I have a question, point no 2.
What is the game plan ?

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »
Went to the game tonight.  I saw two major improvements.  The first was our kickouts, which we approached more urgently.  The kicker hurried into position and a few times we got the ball to half forward quite easily.

The second was our pressure on the Swannies in the second half, which caused a number of turnovers from team with much better hand and foot skills than us.

Oh, and a third thing, we didn't run out of legs in the final quarter.  

Ramps

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
Dustin Martin needs to be protected, Im estimating that within 2 weeks other clubs are going to be putting there best tagger on him and his development could be hampered. The club should aim to give him 11 games this season, picking the opponents, other teams that play open footy or are nearly as bad as us.Just my opinion thats all.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 11:10:26 PM »

What is the game plan ?

Keep the game as simple as you can, move forward rather than sideways as much as you can, don't corral - put forward/upward pressure on, get back to help out in defence as soon as we lose possession, some rudimentary zoning.  You can see there is no complicated multitude of game plans in play yet and we won't see them at all this year but you can certainly see them working on a couple of different things each week.

What I see Hardwick and his team doing at present reminds me of how we train our new Army recruits at Kapooka - you spend the first few weeks breaking them down, removing all traces of 'civilian', then the next 8 or so weeks rebuilding them as soldiers capable of going out and doing what they are required to do as soldiers.  Hardwick is calling it a "transformation" and I can relate totally to it (and see subtle positive changes already).  Of course, if you need to have immediate gratification of your wants as a supporter then this method is probably going to strongly disappoint you but no-one was left under any illusions at the appointment of Hardwick that it would be any different to what it is. - just that some who said they understood and could cope, really couldn't when the reality and pressure of losing games while the "transformation" took place, kicks in.

Teaching and learning, teaching and learning.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »

What is the game plan ?

Keep the game as simple as you can, move forward rather than sideways as much as you can, don't corral - put forward/upward pressure on, get back to help out in defence as soon as we lose possession, some rudimentary zoning.  You can see there is no complicated multitude of game plans in play yet and we won't see them at all this year but you can certainly see them working on a couple of different things each week.

What I see Hardwick and his team doing at present reminds me of how we train our new Army recruits at Kapooka - you spend the first few weeks breaking them down, removing all traces of 'civilian', then the next 8 or so weeks rebuilding them as soldiers capable of going out and doing what they are required to do as soldiers.  Hardwick is calling it a "transformation" and I can relate totally to it (and see subtle positive changes already).  Of course, if you need to have immediate gratification of your wants as a supporter then this method is probably going to strongly disappoint you but no-one was left under any illusions at the appointment of Hardwick that it would be any different to what it is. - just that some who said they understood and could cope, really couldn't when the reality and pressure of losing games while the "transformation" took place, kicks in.

Teaching and learning, teaching and learning.

I can tell you this.
I have been heavily involved in football and I dont see any game plan at all.
I see players being pushed behind the ball when under the pump to stop the ""bleeding ""
I see players confused whether to give a handball or a kick as first option.
I see opposition kick ins being allowed to rebound out of D50 without our players failing to get back to there alloted space in the zone.
And see players like White who refuses to chase.
I also see players who have had reportedly good pre seasons go backwards eg Post, Rance , White , Nahas.
And see players playing tonight like Tuck down back and Rance up forward which would have to be the most stupid decision for a long long time. As bad as playing Jake King up forward last week :banghead

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 11:45:46 PM »
We won the clearances, inside 50s and tackle counts