Author Topic: Positives from tonight's game?  (Read 7839 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Small win a starting point (RFC)
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »
Small win a starting point
richmondfc.com.au
By Michael Rogers 1:49 PM Sun 11 April, 2010

WHEN your side has lost all 11 quarters of football it's contested in a season, any victory is worth acknowledging.

And so it was when Richmond finally broke its duck during the final term of its 55-point loss to the Sydney Swans on Friday, outscoring the home team by two points.

Ruckman Troy Simmonds said the break in play to allow a concussed Relton Roberts to be carried from the field in the last quarter gave the Tigers a chance to set themselves for one last effort.

"We really dug deep. I thought it was good character from the guys," he said.

"We were blown in the Carlton game and the Bulldogs game, so we really dug deep. When 'Relts' went down, we got together and said we weren't going to let the last quarter slip."

Simmonds acknowledged it was difficult to come to terms with the Tigers' poor start to the year but he said there was sufficient reward to make the effort worthwhile.

"It's tough losing but you can see the direction we're going," he said.

"We've trained all pre-season with Damien and the other coaches [who] have brought in a certain game plan ... and tonight I thought we took a step forward in that.

"There were some really good signs. Sydney only beat us by three points in the second half.

"The way we wanted to move the ball and some of our defensive acts really shone ... we just couldn't get on the scoreboard early."

Also encouraging was the fact that it was youngsters Dustin Martin, Ben Nason and Jack Riewoldt who were at the heart of Richmond's second-half rally.

Simmonds said the club would support the young players as they adapted to the demands of senior football.

"They're going to make mistakes; it's just inexperience but to have those guys, they just keep having a crack. They just get in there and have a good go at it," he said.

"You've got to keep encouraging them [to] take the game on and once they get games into them, they'll improve all year."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/92074/default.aspx

Ramps

Re: Positives from tonight's game?
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
Edwards is a DUD
end of story his a liability  ;D

I love it how you shaft a player and then include the smiley at the end in the hope that that players backers dont feel too bad about the knife you stuck into that players back  ;D

tony_montana

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
even the commentators were taking the pee outa tambling talking about how he needs to be educated on where to run and position himself - a 6 year 100 game player lmaoooo at supporters still talking him up and saying that "effort" WAS HIS BEST FOR 2010  ;D ;D ;D

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 06:36:38 PM »
even the commentators were taking the pee outa tambling talking about how he needs to be educated on where to run and position himself - a 6 year 100 game player lmaoooo at supporters still talking him up and saying that "effort" WAS HIS BEST FOR 2010  ;D ;D ;D

the games past him sadly, Matt white has more upside and Im serious
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

jackstar is back again

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 07:35:40 PM »

Sorry, Matt White has NO UPSIDE what so ever

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2010, 07:45:15 PM »
Sitting at the airport waiting for my flight....

The positives for mine

Martin = future gun, saw his Dad after the game, massive bloke understand where young Dusty gets his strength from  :o

Tambling off the HBF actually works

Simmo resting at FF - a big target in the goal square is what we need - straightens us up
Dan Connors - probably his best game frot he RFC

Dean Polo - was very good on Goodes who's goals came in junk time

Nason - we may have found a late gem here - really like this kid

the 3rd qtr - there was a lot to like in the third. When the structures are right, the game plan works
Said it in another thread but forgot to mention something on Tambling, got caught ball watching all night last night as a backman. At throw ins, gets sucked into the contest instead of stopping his man. May need to watch the replay WP and let me know what you think then.

and when you do WP, you'll notice that Big Tone has just copied the commentators sentiments. Tony Shaw and Jason Dunstall were 2 of the "experts".
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Tigermonk

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »

was Matt White in the side last night, must have missed him  ;D did he touch the ball

jackstar is back again

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »

was Matt White in the side last night, must have missed him  ;D did he touch the ball

I cant beleive that the majority of posters were calling for White and Rance to be returned.
Both were useless as t@s on a bull last night

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
Rance I thought was OK first game as a forward Jack.

Needs a decent chance.
Go Tigers!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
Said it in another thread but forgot to mention something on Tambling, got caught ball watching all night last night as a backman. At throw ins, gets sucked into the contest instead of stopping his man. May need to watch the replay WP and let me know what you think then.

Will be watching the replay big tone as I always do to compare what the TV missed & Limssed to what I saw at the game, especially the in close stuff.

However, I thought Tambling did a good job of running off the lines to try and create something of the HB line for the team. The fact that the likes of Tuck (in particular just chucking it on his boot) and Moore to name another one constantly ignored him and the options he presented surely isn't Tambling's fault.

Agree about the throw ins that at times yes he did make the mistake of going for the contest and not stopping his man, howver again I don't think he was alone there - it was Tuck's biggest weakness on the night IMHO as well.

Would be interested to know what people thought of Tambling's attack on the ball in the third just inside the centre square, where he managed to move it forward that resulted in a great goal for the Tiges - I thought that all involved in that were fantastic, it was  agreat play
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »

Tambling always starts seasons slowly.  Which is not necessarily good but not necessarily bad either, it just seems to be a part of his nature.  By the end of the season he seems to improve.  If it was the entire team you'd say it was deliberate training methods ala Sydney, St Kilda or Adelaide under Blight, but it just seems to be him.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »

Will be watching the replay big tone as I always do to compare what the TV missed & Limssed to what I saw at the game, especially the in close stuff.

However, I thought Tambling did a good job of running off the lines to try and create something of the HB line for the team. The fact that the likes of Tuck (in particular just chucking it on his boot) and Moore to name another one constantly ignored him and the options he presented surely isn't Tambling's fault.

Agree about the throw ins that at times yes he did make the mistake of going for the contest and not stopping his man, howver again I don't think he was alone there - it was Tuck's biggest weakness on the night IMHO as well.

Would be interested to know what people thought of Tambling's attack on the ball in the third just inside the centre square, where he managed to move it forward that resulted in a great goal for the Tiges - I thought that all involved in that were fantastic, it was  agreat play

dont worry wp, even if blingers is bog and wins a game for us , they will keep on bagging him
idiots

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »
I thought that Bling's attack on the ball was pretty good all night.  Like most of our mids and backline, he got caught out badly in the first half when we were playing the zone.  The Swan's accuracy by hand and foot cut our zone to ribbons and they had lots more players at the ball than we did.  When we started playing one-on-one in the second half, Bling started winning the contests.

Tigermonk

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
Sydney are a hard running side which pushes both sides of the centre
Our players are joggers & dont gut bust.
Seen many pull up when a better effort would have forced a spill
They are happy to give opposition room to move thinking simply by making the mark & standing thier they had done thier job
They are chicken poo & dont want to get hurt. Clubs know that so it makes them all the more brave to put that 1% effort in to win the hardball.

tony_montana

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
, Bling started winning the contests.

Can you guys please just stop this BS tambling lovefest. He was bloody dreadful on the weekend -  9 stats, 1 good contest which resulted in a goal, that's it, you would expect more from a 6th year player. FFS