Author Topic: Danny Meyer  (Read 41277 times)

letsgetiton!

danny meyer....not enough credit or game time
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 12:18:18 PM »
danny meyer while on teh ground last night proved he could have easily also been a no. 1 draft pick. his work in close and his evasiveness, nimble feet and skills were just awesome! he reminds me of  wanganeen ! maybe with bling  injured now he will get a full game and start on the ground. his efforts last night were great stuff and even though he has a small frame he is not afraid to put his body on the line! this kid will be the surprise of the draft

ps wanna make a mention of lids too, a couple of tiem he made mistakes but he is young and willl learn but HIS SKILLS AND FEILD KICKING WERE FRICKEN UNBELEIVABLE. its a shame the fwds could not capitalise with his gr8 wk

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: danny meyer....not enough credit or game time
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 08:10:10 PM »
danny meyer while on teh ground last night proved he could have easily also been a no. 1 draft pick. his work in close and his evasiveness, nimble feet and skills were just awesome! he reminds me of wanganeen ! maybe with bling injured now he will get a full game and start on the ground. his efforts last night were great stuff and even though he has a small frame he is not afraid to put his body on the line! this kid will be the surprise of the draft

Uncanny X-man. :thumbsup  I was gonna rave about him too and agree with everything you’ve said.  Don't want to get carried away too soon, but if Richmond supporters don’t love Danny Meyer yet, they soon will.

How good is it watching these young players and how good was Danny Meyer? If he got through to pick 12 then those before him must be something else.

Only had a few possessions against Brisbane, but his decision making under pressure was awesome.

Hasn’t had a lot of ground time in the games he’s played and obviously has plenty of learning ahead of him, and could do with a few pre seasons in the gym, but when he gets the opportunity, what he does, he does well.  Looking forward to when he’s getting 20+ possessions per game.

ps wanna make a mention of lids too, a couple of tiem he made mistakes but he is young and willl learn but HIS SKILLS AND FEILD KICKING WERE FRICKEN UNBELEIVABLE. its a shame the fwds could not capitalise with his gr8 wk

The good thing is that these young players are playing in a winning side and gaining experience under all conditions.  The mistakes don’t bother me, they’ll learn more and quicker by having the courage to make mistakes.

So far, most of this season has been exciting, but probably nothing compared to the next few years.  Because that’s when we’re likely to start seeing the real ability of these players, once they’ve been through a few pre seasons.  At the moment, they don’t have the necessary endurance and capacity to see out full games, so we're just seeing glimpses of how good they can be.  :thumbsup

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 09:02:23 PM »
Well I am gonna rave about this kid!

Granted ge didn't get much time on the park last evening but his work in close last night was excellent.

He got hit a few times and he didn't flinch

His skills as sublime at times, quick hands, terrific skills by foot.

Obviously needs more muscle but for a kid of his size he quite a strong tackler

I reckon long term this kid is going to be a champion for us - no doubt :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2005, 09:22:50 PM »
It's his courage that stands above all his other attributes for such a skinny kid.
We've got a goodin' here and, agree, he has been overlooked a bit in the hype with Lids and Tambo.
He may be the smokie of the lot of them, although i'm pretty impressed with Lids at the moment.
Hopefully all of them will be guns  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2005, 09:53:19 PM »
I'd reckon the coaching staff would love to have Meyer out there more given he's all class but are mindful that he's only 70 kgs and needs another couple of preseasons to add more muscle before having the capacity to cop hits over 4 quarters and 22-25 rounds.

X is not far away with Meyer remining him of a young Wanganeen as that was what the SA scribes were comparing him to last year in the lead up to the draft. A pick 12 from any other year would be a club's first choice and the pressure that comes with that. But Danny's had the luxury of making the transition to AFL with Deledio and Tambling taking all the supporter and media attention. Plenty of time in the next few years for him to take the spotlight. By that time he'll have 30-40 games under his belt and reaching his peak.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 10:00:29 PM »
He's got the supporters' attention now MT. ;D
Agree he looks like Wanganeen but I think his style more resembles S. Black. I hope he ends up as good.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Bulluss

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 10:34:44 AM »
Totally agree with all comments, this kid is going to be something special.

Cool, calm and collected.

Offline tassie tiger

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 10:52:22 AM »
With Tambling out this week I think he will get his chance!

Offline H*

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 11:16:09 AM »
Does he remind you of anyone?
I reckon he is sooo similar in the way he moves to Wanganeen, its scary.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 11:17:26 AM »
Does he remind you of anyone?
I reckon he is sooo similar in the way he moves to Wanganeen, its scary.

im totally with , did u read my initial comments :thumbsup

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 11:22:37 AM »
His in tight work is great.  One passage of play where he weaved, baulked and side steps in the one motion deep in defence and found a chip kick to a teamate at CHB was amazing, something most our senior players couldn't do.  Let's hope he can put on some body mass, coz he will be a good player.  Solid in the hands, mind and feet.  Alot of Knights and Newman about him.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: danny meyer
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2005, 03:43:15 PM »
Meyer over the moon
Jason Phelan
Exclusive to afl.com.au
26 May, 2005

Richmond recruit Danny Meyer has been on a steep learning curve since being drafted by the Tigers at number 12 last year but the young South Australian couldn't be happier with his move to Punt Road.

It's always a big task for an interstate recruit to settle into a new club but the transition from Glenelg Tiger in the SANFL to Richmond Tiger in the AFL has been relatively smooth for the Sacred Heart college product.

"It was a big move especially just before Christmas," Meyer says.

"I had literally half a week to pack my bags and go, so I didn't get a hell of a lot of time to prepare to come over.

"Everyone was heaps friendly and they made me feel really welcome so I fit in pretty quickly which was good. Obviously the workload was a bit of a shock because I came straight into preseason but the boys get you through it really well and it's all been very positve.

"When I got here I was really nervous because I didn't know what to expect but just how friendly and how busy it was with all the training sessions - I didn't really get any time to worry too much and so far I haven't been homesick at all."

The 18-year-old admits to being a bit starstruck when first meeting the likes of Wayne Campbell and Matthew Richardson but says the older players were a great help as he learned to adapt to life in the big league.

"It was a bit of a shock at first," he says.

"I was in awe at the first few trainings just going, 'Oh my God, what am I doing here?,' but once I settled down and just started talking to the blokes and realised they're just normal blokes it was fine.

"It's been a big step up (from the SANFL). The intensity at training has been a lot higher and the pressure and how fast the game is just a massive step up.

"The pace, the speed and the blokes are a lot bigger as well - a lot bigger!"

Meyer has a lightning turn of pace and has worked hard to add five kilos to his draft weight to allow him to withstand the rigours of senior footy.

High-profile recruits Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling have received most of the media attention since their arrival at the club and that's just fine with him.

"So far it's been pretty good because they've had most of the spotlight," he says.

"It's taken a bit of the pressure off me. I've been able to just cruise along and do my own thing which has been really good."

In fact, Meyer has done more than 'just cruise along'. His impressive weight gain was matched by a string of eye-catching performances with Coburg that led to his AFL debut against Port in round six.

And while Meyer didn't expect to play senior football so early, he's won plenty of admirers with his style of play and is working hard to cement his spot.

His pace and elusive skills have led some supporters to compare him to a young Gavin Wanganeen - a comparison that Meyer is flattered by but says he'll have to work hard to live up to.

"I think it's more looks than anything at this stage," he laughs.

"In my first game when I stood him I had my socks down, my shirt out and looked all scruffy which is what he was looking like and we're a similar height so I think that's about it at this stage.

"If I can be half as good as him it would be pretty good."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=featurestories&spg=display&articleid=205259
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 04:09:59 PM »
A bit strange they would publish an article on Meyer the day he got sent back to Coburg  ???.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: danny meyer
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »
"In my first game when I stood him I had my socks down, my shirt out and looked all scruffy which is what he was looking like and we're a similar height so I think that's about it at this stage.

You know it's funny the amount of players who play with their socks down -must say personally I hate it. Year's ago it was very rare nowadays it seems like it is becoming the norm

I remember when Blight was coaching Geelong he would not allow his players to play with their socks down. He reckon'd it made players look tired to their opponents.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 04:48:36 PM »
Andrew Jarman went the other extreme pulling his socks above his knees so they looked leg warmers  :P.

Leon Cameron use to wear his socks down. IIRC John Northey did as well.