Author Topic: Hardwick left to clean up Wallace's mess (Sportal)  (Read 1235 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick left to clean up Wallace's mess (Sportal)
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:33:30 AM »
Hardwick left to clean up Wallace's mess
11/04/2010 11:46 PM
Paul Gough
Sportal

Long-suffering Richmond supporters are in for plenty more pain before the 2010 home and away season is over.

But even if the Tigers' did the unthinkable and failed to win a game all season - it is NOT the fault of the club's new-look team off the field of coach Damien Hardwick, chief executive Brendon Gale and football operations manager Craig Cameron.

Basically they have inherited a mess as the sheer scale of the disaster of the five-year Terry Wallace/Greg Miller reign becomes more evident by the week.

Wallace and Miller have basically left a playing list that has no forward line - hence why the Tigers have kicked just 23 goals in their first three matches.

They've also left a midfield ill-equipped to cope at the highest level.

There is some semblance of a defence through young talls Will Thursfield, Luke McGuane and Kelvin Moore plus skipper Chris Newman and Daniel Connors but with the Tigers' lack of quality in other areas they don't stand a chance.

But the biggest indictment on the Miller/Wallace era and surely the main reason why the Tigers are so uncompetitive in 2010 is the club's lack of big men.

This is only a snippet of Goughy's article. For the full version click on the link:
http://sportal.com.au/afl-opinion-display/hardwick-left-to-clean-up-wallaces-mess-89249

FNM

Re: Hardwick left to clean up Wallace's mess (Sportal)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 04:27:06 AM »
But a list with a better future than what Frawley left the club with.  The writer conveniently forgets to mention the turning over of an entire list, no experience of any merit, no leaders. Lots of other variables as well.
Agree, the list is in bad shape but the whole club should take a hit. They provided no resources for development and recruiting
Agree on the talls and forwards - Roughhead and/or Franklin are their biggest mistakes.
Here we go again on the same topic -  :sleep

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:41:34 AM »
The article is 100% spot on there is no error factual or otherwise in it. The most honest summary Ive seen in a long time. Well done to Goughy.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »
i know wallace and miller screwed us over but i dont buy that article

for starters he says our mids are no good

well we beat sydney at the scg in hard ball gets and clearance and had as much or more inside 50s

soi think we are not as bad as some of the scoreboard suggests

we do lack fwd structure but once grifiths and astbury and taylor r ready this will change

we are learning a new game plan, mone day it will click and we will watch and think poo how did we get so good

our biggest issue is a few players that cant kick and r not good decision makers, they willl be out of the team by rnd 10

this article is correct that wallace and co were crap but things are not as bad as the scoreboard suggests , we just have to stick to the process

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »
Roughead was not a mistake, we took Deledio and then we thought they would take Tambling as Roughead was going to be taken by us, I can remember them saying that at the time. The Hawks surprised everyone and took Roughead we then took Tambling and they took Franklin....... history.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »
The article is 100% spot on there is no error factual or otherwise in it. The most honest summary Ive seen in a long time. Well done to Goughy.

agree too, but our players are soft!

>:(

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »

well we beat sydney at the scg in hard ball gets and clearance and had as much or more inside 50s

we do lack fwd structure but once grifiths and astbury and taylor r ready this will change

we are learning a new game plan, mone day it will click and we will watch and think poo how did we get so good

our biggest issue is a few players that cant kick and r not good decision makers, they willl be out of the team by rnd 10

this article is correct that wallace and co were crap but things are not as bad as the scoreboard suggests , we just have to stick to the process

agree with this too!

however "X" ... we had 100 plus possessions less then Sydney!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »

agree with this too!

however "X" ... we had 100 plus possessions less then Sydney!

true that stats can be read 2 ways , we won th eclearances and hard ball, so it just means that when we do have it and use it well , our game plan is a direct one, not high possession based like say geelong

we are actually developing a good plan , we wenty inside 50 the same as them with much lesss possesion , thats a plus , we just need a better fwd structure which will come

keep the faith, hardwick is on a winner here , he knows what to do

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »
Beat me too it X.

I also see winning clearances and matching for inside 50s, yet having a heap less possessions as a good thing.

If the forward structure could just start working this could start to put scoreboard pressure on the opposition.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Tigermonk

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »
The players need to be taken down to the massage parlour on punt road  ;D
They all need to relax. They are too tense & not playing football because the preasure on them is so intense
They put themselves under preasure & this is causing thier own mistakes.
They fear themselves when gathering the ball cause they think they are always hot
Cut them loose Hardwick. Simple game plan 1 on 1 hard football. The target scoring goals & putting in 120 minutes for each other  :thumbsup

tony_montana

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »
Wasn't just Wallace and Miller although obviously both were significant contributors!

One of the main reasons I've taken to B.Gale at this early stage with no runs on the board is his willingness to repeatedly say that "this organisation as a whole, has to take responsibility for the position the club is in, not 1 or 2 people, everyone involved bc collectively we've been a basket case for 30 years". For too long this club has always passed the buck on previous coach/administration buying themselves 3 years of little pressure and every single time they have failed to deliver. I repeat this whole club stinks not just the past 15 coaches  ::)